Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6A elevator trim tab set-up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarg314(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: 6A elevator trim tab set-up Reply with quote

I have the manual trim cable installed enough to measure up/down deflection on the trim tab.  The manual says 35 deg. down (for nose-up trim) and 25 deg. up.  How is that measured?  I assume that since the hinge is at the top skin, that you measure it from elev. top skin to trim tab top skin.

If that is right, I have about 34 deg. down, but only about 21 deg. up, using the full travel of the trim cable (about 2.3").  Is this something I have to fix?  The only way to fix it that I can see is to rivet some aluminum onto the arm of the trim tab so I could make a new attachment point for the cable which would be a little closer to the tab.  That would get me more deflection for my 2.3" of motion.

The throw of the cable could be increased by removing the locking ring.  I don't think I want to do that.
Another issue is that the nut that secures the end of the cable.  The one which is welded to the little piece of steel.  It is about 1/4" above the plate that it is supposed to be pop riveted to.  Is this typical?  There is no way I can attach it to the cover plate without a substantial spacer.  I'm also thinking of holding it in with a couple plate nuts rather than the pop rivets.  Seems like the cover plate would be next to impossible to remove if the steel plate was riveted to it.  Screws would make it easy to remove.

Has any one else had these problems?
--
Tom Sargent, RV-6A final assembly.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
rv6n(at)optonline.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: 6A elevator trim tab set-up Reply with quote

Tom,

I would not worry about the small deflection problem because you will find that the trim tab is so sensitive that very little movement will be required of it. As for your anchor plate that is a different story. Why is it so far removed from the cover plate? It may be that if it were positioned properly you would recover the lost deflection. Are your stab/tab holes in the correct location?

Bob Bales
RV6
100 hr TT

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sarg314(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: 6A elevator trim tab set-up Reply with quote

Bob:
Yes, I think they're in the right place. There's no discretion in placing the hole in the  HS rear spar - there is just barely room for it between the 2 reinforcing bars. As for the elvator, I checked my plans.  My drawings are from 1996 (!). The hole in the elevator spar is shown, but no dimensions are specified to locate it.  It is towards the bottom of the spar.  I could have put it a bit lower (maybe 3/16") before running into anything, but I'm not sure that would still line up well enough with the hole in the H.S.  There's only a 2 or 3  inches between the HS spar and the elevator spar.  I just made it look like the drawing.

I noticed that I didn't have the fork screwed onto the threaded on of the cable completely, so I did that which allowed me to pull the cable a about 3/8" further aft.  That brought the anchor plate into slightly better position.  Still looks like I'm going to need a 3/16" spacer between it and the cover plate though.   I'll call Van's in the morning.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM, <rv6n(at)optonline.net (rv6n(at)optonline.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Are your stab/tab holes in the correct location?   

--
Tom Sargent
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: