Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tire Balance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

"Thom Riddle" wrote: << … I'm considering downsizing my Slingshot 800x6 tires to 600x6 … >>

Thom –

I plan to do the same for my Mark-III, but for a totally different reason.

A couple of years ago, I “upgraded” the tires on my Kolb by installing larger 800x6 tires, supplied by New Kolb.
I liked the look of the bigger, balloon-ier tires, like most of the Kolbras have.
My problem was, they are WAY out of balance.

At take off speeds, my instrument panel shakes so violently that I cannot even read my instruments, due to the vibration caused by one (maybe both?) of the 800x6 tires. Luckily, this only lasts for a couple of seconds per takeoff.

I took the rim/tire assemblies to an motorcycle shop, in an attempt to get them dynamically balanced. The shop guys told me that 1) yes, they were severely out of balance (I knew that!), and 2) they could NOT balance the tires, as there was inadequate surface mounting area on the rims to apply the stick-on weights. (sighhh …)

Anyone else ever encounter the same problem? Is there a solution, besides chucking these cheap, made-in-China tires and getting some good (expensive), “real airplane” tires like Air Tracs?

Thanks for any advice …

Dennis Kirby
Mark-III, 912ul, “Magic Bike”
New Mexico
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
slowaero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Hi Dennis, My wheels do the same thing. I just apply the brakes just after I lift off. Cheers, Dave

[quote="Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland."]"Thom Riddle" wrote: << … I'm considering downsizing my Slingshot 800x6 tires to 600x6 … >>

Thom –

I plan to do the same for my Mark-III, but for a totally different reason.

A couple of years ago, I “upgraded” the tires on my Kolb by installing larger 800x6 tires, supplied by New Kolb.
I liked the look of the bigger, balloon-ier tires, like most of the Kolbras have.
My problem was, they are WAY out of balance.

At take off speeds, my instrument panel shakes so violently that I cannot even read my instruments, due to the vibration caused by one (maybe both?) of the 800x6 tires. Luckily, this only lasts for a couple of seconds per takeoff.

I took the rim/tire assemblies to an motorcycle shop, in an attempt to get them dynamically balanced. The shop guys told me that 1) yes, they were severely out of balance (I knew that!), and 2) they could NOT balance the tires, as there was inadequate surface mounting area on the rims to apply the stick-on weights. (sighhh …)

Anyone else ever encounter the same problem? Is there a solution, besides chucking these cheap, made-in-China tires and getting some good (expensive), “real airplane” tires like Air Tracs?

Thanks for any advice …

Dennis Kirby
Mark-III, 912ul, “Magic Bike”
New Mexico
Quote:
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

donaho1(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Dennis, Do A search for dyna beads. They are used in motorcycle tires. I
have never used them but some people swear by them. Lanny FS II

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Dennis/Gang:

Sometimes you can't go cheap. Gotta spend a buck or two to get what you are looking for.

I experienced the same thing with the Armstrong, Carlisle, and other off road equipment tires.

The primary difference between these lawn equipment tires and aircraft tires is:

a. The equipment tires are made to run off road at very low speeds. Therefore they are cheaper to manufacture and leave the factory neither trued or balanced.

b. Aircraft tires are trued and balanced prior to leaving the factory. Normally, they do not need additional balancing on our airplanes with slow take off and landing speeds. If we do have to balance a little, it is balancing the wheel and hub and not the tire, if the factory did a good job of truing and balancing. These tires are also good for 120 mph service.

c. An additional benefit from using aircraft tires is their greatly improved handling characteristics, especially on pavement. I was impressed at the difference. Made flying off pavement much more fun.

I fly with 800X6 Air Tracs, and have flown my mkIII with 600X6 Air Tracs. Unless you are going to do a lot of off field flying, 600 work fine. John W had just switched back to 600X6's prior to the flight to MV 2008.

john h
mkIII
Titus, AL
Quote:
Anyone else ever encounter the same problem? Is there a solution, besides chucking these cheap, made-in-China tires and getting some good (expensive), real airplane tires like Air Tracs?

Thanks for any advice

Dennis Kirby

_popupControl(); [quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
Vic Peters

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Dennis,
I did my balance with those very same tires and asusa wheels. Did it by guess
while spinning them by hand until they did not stop in the same place.
excellent results. You can buy those stick on weights at JC Whitney I think. Cheap!

Vic
Smooth taxying Xtra 912
[quote][b]

Too old to cut the mustard but not the cheese.
Rick Lewis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Dennis:

Be careful with stick on weights as they tend to come off in hard landings and go right through your prop. Note the word stick on, that means pop off. Just a thought.
Rick Lewis

(VW water cooled engine)

Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Dennis,

My 800x6 Carlisle are also out of balance but I don't think they are as bad as yours. I've been able to balance cheap tires myself with stick-on weights in the past with good success but have done this only on tractor engined airplanes so the "pop-off" feature was not an issue.

I plan to spend a bit more and get better tires when I down size for the reasons John H stated. The cheapest price I've found for AirTrac 600x6-4 is Desser Tire at $53/tire plus $43/tube. Not cheap but not a deal breaker either. Another advantage of downsizing from 800x6 is about 3 lb per wheel weight savings. If you plan a lot of rough field ops then the 6 ply rating would be a better choice and the price and weight difference is insignificant.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

> Be careful with stick on weights as they tend to come off in hard
landings and go right through your prop. Note the word stick on, that
means pop off. Just a thought.
Quote:

Rick Lewis

Rick L/Gang:

I used stick on weights (weights for mag wheels) in an attempt to balance
non-aviation tires. It helped a little, but took so many weights to get a
little result it wasn't worth the exercise.

Was no danger losing a weight. They are self adhesive, stuck on the rim so
that they are under centrifical force when the wheel is rolling.

Difficult/impossible to balance a tire that is also out of round.

john h
mkIII
Titus, AL

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

> I plan to spend a bit more and get better tires when I down size for the
reasons John H stated. The cheapest price I've found for AirTrac 600x6-4 is
Desser Tire at $53/tire plus $43/tube. Not cheap but not a deal breaker
either. Another advantage of downsizing from 800x6 is about 3 lb per wheel
weight savings. If you plan a lot of rough field ops then the 6 ply rating
would be a better choice and the price and weight difference is
insignificant.
Quote:

--------
Thom Riddle

Thom R/Gang:\

Another option is used aviation tires from your local FBO. 6X6 is a very
popular size and there are a lot of them laying around airports. Even if
they are bald, they would still last the life of a Kolb. If one is friendly
with the local aviation mechanics, they might put a couple nice take offs
away for you.

I got tubes at MATCO this summer for $30 a piece. My MATCO wheels require a
90 degree valve stem.

Good quality tubes are essential to prevent failure. Also a lot of talcum
power to keep them lubricated inside the tire, especially if running larger
800X6 tires. I had two flats in 2004, one in Palmer, AK, and another at
Fort Nelson, BC. Both caused by tube failure. Both had a tiny hole in the
sidewall of the tube. Looked like someone had puntured it with an ice pick.
Extreme los pressure, less than about 10 PSI causes this problem.

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Titus, Alabama
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Balance Reply with quote

John,

I've got a couple of 600x6 used retreads laying on the shop floor which I considered using but they are very heavy (retreads are always heavy).

I'm trying to put the Slingshot and myself on a diet. Luray (the builder) put a 12 lb ballast in the nose which is not needed unless I lose a whole lot of weight so that is coming out this winter too. I took the back seat belts out (heavy Hooker harness) and no ELT (which it illegally didn't have to begin with) required with a single seat. I also removed the heavier back seat back panel and replaced it with polycarbonate that I can see through when refueling to know before it sloshes out that the tanks are full.

I hope to reduce the SS empty weight by about 25 lbs or so and perhaps close to that off of me too. That thought makes me hungry. Off to the kitchen Smile.

do not archive

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
GeoB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Balance Reply with quote

donaho1(at)verizon.net wrote:
Dennis, Do A search for dyna beads.

I hang around with 4x4 extremists. We run big tires and we turn them fast. They are hard to keep balanced. Some of us use 'bb's in the tires, some use water. Both work surprisingly well. I am not sure if they work well in all circumstances. For such small tires I don't know how much to add. I add about a cup of water to a large tire way out of balance.

To shake the frame as much as you describe I would wonder if the tire was mounted straight, if so many pairs of eyes had not examined it. While I imagine it is just an inferior tire, I would make sure I had checked that the tire was on the bead exactly the same amount all around. As you know they have the line around the tire that should show just outside the bead to aid in this task.

I balance my motorcycle tires by spinning them up with a bench grinder. you can get some good speed out of them like that. Watch for a dynamic imbalance too, a side-to-side motion, as well as the normal in-and-out shake.

GeoB

"Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors"
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

"Thom Riddle" wrote: << .. If you plan a lot of rough field ops then the 6 ply rating would be a better choice … >>

Thanks for the tip, Thom –

However, I’ll probably opt for the regular 4-ply tires, when I go back to my original 600x6 size tires.
After my salt flats landing incident two summers ago, I had to promise my wife I would only land on “real” runways from now on. (sighh …)

(Nobody laugh – it’s what keeps peace in my family, and a constant flow of funding for my Kolb expenses!)

Dennis K.
Do not archive
[quote][b]

GeoB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Balance Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:
Difficult/impossible to balance a tire that is also out of round.

Sometimes folks riding scooters get a scalloping on the tires. Some folks get a sharp rasp- the kind made of thin metal, and each tooth has a hole next to it, I fergit the name. They have a helper fire up the scooter and spin the rear tire and hold the bike while they apply the file to the tire.

Due to the risk of injury we use two 2x4 pieces of wood. Maybe 1'-2' long. Attach them together at the end with a strap hinge. fasten the rasp-thingee to one end. Stand on one 2x4, on the ground, and the second one with the rasp can be gently and fairly safely be applied to the offending tire. Think this through and take precautions. Wear leather gloves.

One can apply this method to the front tire also using the bench grinder again.

Perhaps this idea can transfer to out-of-round UL tires, I don't know.

GeoB

"Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors"
russkinne(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

GeoB:
I think you mean "SURFORM TOOLS" -- made in various sizes & shapes.
Good stuff.
On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:06 PM, GeoB wrote:

Quote:

John Hauck wrote:
> Difficult/impossible to balance a tire that is also out of round.
Sometimes folks riding scooters get a scalloping on the tires. Some
folks get a sharp rasp- the kind made of thin metal, and each tooth
has a hole next to it, I fergit the name. They have a helper fire
up the scooter and spin the rear tire and hold the bike while they
apply the file to the tire.

Due to the risk of injury we use two 2x4 pieces of wood. Maybe
1'-2' long. Attach them together at the end with a strap hinge.
fasten the rasp-thingee to one end. Stand on one 2x4, on the
ground, and the second one with the rasp can be gently and fairly
safely be applied to the offending tire. Think this through and
take precautions. Wear leather gloves.

One can apply this method to the front tire also using the bench
grinder again.

Perhaps this idea can transfer to out-of-round UL tires, I don't know.

GeoB

--------
GeoB

&quot;Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like
NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors&quot;

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p 75864#275864

GeoB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Balance Reply with quote

russkinne(at)mac.com wrote:
I think you mean "SURFORM TOOLS" -- made in various sizes & shapes. Good stuff.

Yes! That's it, thanks.
GeoB

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

said like a real true good sport. I find landing on grass the most gentle way of getting back onto the ground, good hard rolled ground. Outlandings can have their moments .
regards
Downunder
MK111c
[quote] ---

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Do you guys go X country without taking off. I have never read anything
about tyre balancing in any other ultralight magazine.

You taxi at walking speed, or should. No worries about `out of balance`
tyres there. You accelerate for about 20 seconds up to 40/50 mph and then
fly. You are beating your brains out for that?

If you always fly from a hard runway and always land fast and heavy you may,
eventually wear a flat spot . If you fly from grass........

Lifes too short to worry about such an unimportant aspect of flying.

Just a thought

Cheers

Pat

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

If your tyer is out of balance the heavy side will stop rotating with the
heavy side down, when landing on hard surfaces you will scrape a bit of
rubber off the heavy side. When the tyre is scrubbed off enough it will stop
rotating at any random spot, thus self balancing and then wear down evenly.

This does not work for out of round tyres.

Boyd Young

Ps the tyres spelling was for pat's benefit. For the rest of us replace
tyre with tire.
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

If you always fly from a hard runway and always land fast and heavy you may,

eventually wear a flat spot . If you fly from grass........

Lifes too short to worry about such an unimportant aspect of flying.

Just a thought

Cheers

Pat

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

the tyres spelling was for pat's benefit. >>

Thank you Boyd. The thought is much appreciated. We use it to differentiate
between being `tyred` or `tired`

Cheers

Pat

russkinne(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Tire Balance Reply with quote

Pat -- in the UK is there another word for "exhausted", just to avoid
confusion?
e.g, 'my rudder's black from being exhausted'
Russ
do not archive

On Dec 3, 2009, at 3:00 PM, pj.ladd wrote:

Quote:

the tyres spelling was for pat's benefit. >>

Thank you Boyd. The thought is much appreciated. We use it to
differentiate between being `tyred` or `tired`

Cheers

Pat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: