Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
here is a film which has ben superbly put together It includes film which I have never seen before. Sorry that it is non Kolb but it is utterly fascinating to anyone who flies.

Pat

Take the time to read the prologue and watch all four of the tapes of the report/flight. It sure makes great watching and it only took 60 days to build the plane. After the first tape(#3) click Contact and get the rest.
Pat

Facinating story and film............

Subject: Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff

http://www.airportappraisals.com/

Win Perkins, a real estate appraiser who specializes in airport properties, has posted on his Web site a video he created of Charles Lindbergh’s famous and risky takeoff in the Spirit of St. Louis. According to Perkins, this is unlike any other presentation of the takeoff footage. Perkins said he “painstakingly assembled news footage from five cameras that filmed Lindbergh’s takeoff from Roosevelt Field, Long Island ” and “mixed it with enhanced audio from the same newsreel sources.”

After you watch the "Takeoff Video (Part #3)", be sure to 'click' on "Contact" on the Left side on the web page to view all of the Videos "Parts #1 thru #4".

My hunch is that after you watch the "Takeoff Video (Part #3)" ... you will want to see the others.

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff Reply with quote

Thanks, Pat. That link will be in the Chapter 88 newsletter in January. Paul
Mantz did a pretty good job of duplicating that take off for the film,
although it's clear from this film that Lindbergh didn't have a wire stike
with the tail skid.

Rick Girard

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:04 AM, pj.ladd <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com> wrote:

[quote]
Hi everyone,
here is a film which has ben superbly put together It includes film which I
have never seen before. Sorry that it is non Kolb but it is utterly
fascinating to anyone who flies.

Pat

Take the time to read the prologue and watch all four of the tapes of the
report/flight. It sure makes great watching and it only took 60 days to
build the plane. After the first tape(#3) click Contact and get the rest

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cristalclear13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff Reply with quote

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com wrote:
Hi everyone,
here is a film which has ben superbly put together It includes film which I have never seen before. Sorry that it is non Kolb but it is utterly fascinating to anyone who flies.

Pat.

Cool! I have always loved the movie with Jimmy Stewart playing Lindbergh and just recently bought the CD. Looks like from these videos the movie was very accurate in telling the story.
I have wondered how long before he took a ship back to the US (I assume he took a ship...maybe with the plane?).

do not archive

ELSA Repairman for N193Y April 2008
Rotax 2 stroke maintenance April 2009
Dana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff Reply with quote

At 12:19 AM 12/5/2009, cristalclear13 wrote:
Quote:
Cool! I have always loved the movie with Jimmy Stewart playing Lindbergh and just recently bought the CD. Looks like from these videos the movie was very accurate in telling the story.
I have wondered how long before he took a ship back to the US (I assume he took a ship...maybe with the plane?).

He stayed in Europe for quite some time, flying Sprit around Europe, until he got sick of the attention and went home (yes, on a ship). His plane was crated up and, if I recall correctly, shipped back courtesy of the US Navy. But read his book... the movie was quite accurate, Jimmy Stewart was himself a pilot, but the book is the authoritative source... and required reading for all pilots.

His (and his wife's) other writings are also must reads.

-Dana

do not archive

--
Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country is doing to you. [quote][b]

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Charles Lindbergh's famous and risky takeoff Reply with quote

I believe that this is true.. Several years after the flight the Spirit was given to the Smithsonian. They hung it from the ceiling 10 or so feet above the floor. One day years later an elderly gentleman appeared in the Directors office and asked if he could "sit in my airplane for a while"?

The museum closed the exhibition room, got a ladder and helped the gentleman up to the cockpit where he sat remembering his flight across the Atlantic.

Cool! Government does something right once in a while--LOL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: