Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

degoussing air frame

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: degoussing air frame Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody else got a simple explanation to answer my question, "Will the >degausser damage my electric engine instruments?"

Quote:
john h -

John

Thoughts according to Boyd,,,
I am not sure but I think I would remove them before trying, this is why. When you pass a magnetic field over coils of wire you have a transformer that will create an electrical current in the instruments, the degausser will be the transformer primary coil and the instrument the secondary coil. If the current is sufficient to slam the gages, it may cause internal damage or change the accuracy, the more sensitive the movement the more chance for damage. The pressure type gages should be ok, but anything with an electrical movement may be compromised as the movements work on a magnetic field. This is my thoughts.

The rest of this info came from a friend at an old tv repair shop. (maybe should say old friend at a tv shop)
To find out how far away you need to be to not do any damage take an old crt tv and start the degausser at a 90 deg angle to the set at least 8 ft away, turn it at the set and as you get closer watch the set until you see changes in the picture. He said a picture with the most red color showing would be best. When you are finished go back to the 8 foot area and then turn it back to 90 deg before turning it off. When degaussing a tv he mentioned that they were never concerned about destroying the speaker in the set. And a permanent magnet is very hard to degausse. I asked about coils in the engine and HE DID NOT THINK it would be a problem. While degaussing old tv sets he said that he was never concerned with the proximity of the degausser to his electronic equipment. Ie: oscilloscopes, signal generators, digital meters. Although there are some coils in these products the edi currents created have not caused any problems.

He has volunteered to do some test with an analog multi meter and let me know the results. Also he will check with some of his students that work at hill AFB and see if they can shed more light on the matter and I will post to the list.

Hope this helps.. and sorry it took so long to contact my friend.

Boyd

Ok my friend just got back with me. He took an old analog meter and tested it against an extremely good digital meter using a known voltage supply with a good voltage regulator. After recording the first set of data he proceeded to degauss the analog meter with a quote “ heavy magnetic field” multiple times. He then retested the meter against the digital and known voltage source and could see no differences. From his testing it is his opinion that degaussing the airframe should cause no damage to analog or digital devices.

Ok now go back and erase the first paragraph, thoughts according to boyd. Guess my thoughts were a bit cautious.

Boyd Young
KOLB MKIII
Utah

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lucien

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: degoussing air frame Reply with quote

Regarding degaussing, I had some success degaussing the airframe on my titan with my Radio Shack soldering iron with the tip removed. It's a big gun-style of about 100 watts, the main coil makes a fairly big 60hz alternating magnetic field.
It's also a lot weaker than tape erasers or the big industrial degaussers, so I was able to keep it away from my instruments, just running it over the tubing.

Took a while, but since I already had the iron it was free and it seemed to work pretty good.

Just a thought,

LS

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: degoussing air frame Reply with quote

Hi Boyd/Gang:

Thanks for the info.

Would be nice to have an accurate mag compass, but I doubt I will ever do anything with it.

I can keep myself on a straight heading, without knowing exactly what that heading is, and eventually find a land mark to get me to an airport or some other suitable landing site if need be.

john h
Quote:

From Ok my friend just got back with me. He took an old analog meter and tested it against an extremely good digital meter using a known voltage supply with a good voltage regulator. After recording the first set of data he proceeded to degauss the analog meter with a quote “ heavy magnetic field” multiple times. He then retested the meter against the digital and known voltage source and could see no differences. From his testing it is his opinion that degaussing the airframe should cause no damage to analog or digital devices.

Boyd Young
KOLB MKIII
Utah

[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: degoussing air frame Reply with quote

Probably need to qualify my comment below.

My mag compass is correct at one heading of the compass rose, then gets progressively worse, up to a 90 degree error.

However, unless in extreme turbulence, it is relatively steady, allowing me to fly an unknown heading without flying in circles.

john h
mkIII

[quote] I can keep myself on a straight heading, without knowing exactly what that heading is, and eventually find a land mark to get me to an airport or some other suitable landing site if need be.

[b]

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: