Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

de gaussing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

Hi,
regarding the de gaussing posts of the last couple of weeks.
By coincidence, over Christmas, I was reading a book by a pilot in our Fleet Air Arm.
Having finished off the war in Europe the Royal Navy were sent to help the Americans wrap up the Pacific. Consequently Victorious, Formidable, Indomitable, Indefatigable, and Illustrious, all carriers, joined the Pacific Fleet and were to carry out a solo operation against Truk. This pilot was just ducking under the wing of an aircraft as it was capulted off when its wooden prop hit the deck, split into pieces and one took nearly all of one leg off.
Two years later, in 1947 he was still an outpatient at hospital and had been fitted with an iron caliper.In `48 he was learning to fly again in an Airspeed Oxford, a twin engined trainer, the only plane he could get into with his game leg.
To fly he cocked his right leg, with caliper, up on the instrument panel and operated the rudder pedals with his left foot. After getting lost on a couple of simple cross country flights it dawned on him the the caliper was upsetting the compass.

Quote. " While I lay on a bed the caliper was taken away and put in a magnetic field. After it had been de-gaussed, all was well and I had no further trouble"

A gutsy guy In the Service from the outbreak of war. Involved in Dunkirk, battle of the Med. Taranto raid, Greek campaign, Malta. crashed on a top secret mission trying to land a couple of spies in North Africa. Due to faulty intel. he landed on a salt pan and went through the crust. P o W of the Vichy French (who were supposed to be neutral)but the prisoners were treated terribly with little food or water, thousands of PoW`a together in a camp designed for a couple of hundred in the middle of the Sahara.
Ended as Commander with DSO, DSC.

Very good read if anyone is interested.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all as I am closing down until Jan 5th 2010

Pat
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Richard Pike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: de gaussing Reply with quote

I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader (Dogs Body) when I was back in middle school. Wasn't him, by any chance? (Been too long, forgot the details)

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldpoops)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

aoldman(at)xtra.co.nz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

No ,Ii don't think so , Douglas Bader lost both legs in a flying incident
doing something he had been told not to in a bulldog I think . He over come
that and carried on to fly spitfires and hurricanes, he was POW and
continued to be a PITA for his captors , ended up in colditz. As fare as I
know he never served on a carrier or in the Pacific conflict Sorry some may
not see this as kolb related but these are the aviators that gave us all the
inspiration to test flight
Downonder
Kolb MK111c

Regards to all
Have a happy and prosperous new year and may the weather
gods be kind to you all
---

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

At 08:55 PM 12/29/09 -0800, you wrote:
Quote:

I remember reading a book about Douglas Bader (Dogs Body) when I was back in middle school. Wasn't him, by any chance? (Been too long, forgot the details)

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldpoops)

Try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader

Do not archive

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, In

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

Pat Ladd wrote: << … Due to faulty intel. he landed on a salt pan and went through the crust. >>

Pat –

Oooo … that sounds hauntingly familiar!
Did that in my Mark-3; have no wish to repeat the episode.
Although for me, it was a faulty preflight (unsecured oil cap went thru the prop), not faulty intel.

Thanks for sharing your wartime anecdotes with us – even if occasionally stretching the Kolb-related significance.
I enjoy your stories!

Happy New Year –

Dennis Kirby
Sandia Park, NM
Do not archive
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

Happy New Year -

You too Dennis. i don`t know how deep you went in but this guy threw a bicycle from where it was lashed to the interplane struts and in sank beneath the surface.
I know you are just begging to know what a plane was doing with the bike tied on the wing.
The plane was a Swordfish, a radial engined torpedo bomber with a top speed of about 90. A biplane with a crew of 3, in 2 open cockpits. The mission was to insert an Arab sheik and a Frenchman into North Africa as spies. The bike was for their use. Both of them turned up at the PoW camp some months later.
The Swordfish was affectionately known as the `Stringbag`. Accent on the first syllable NOT String Bag`.

The book is `To war in a Stringbag` by Charles Lamb. A fascinating insight into a very different sort of war than we have now.

Note that the top speed was about that of a flat out, balls to the wall, Kolb Mk3. Hows that for a Kolb connection?

Cheers

Pat
[quote][b]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

Douglas Bader (Dogs Body)>

Hi Richard,

no it wasn`t.
Bader was RAF and started the war with no legs. Also I don`t thinkthere is
enough room to put your feet up on the instrument panel in a Spitfire. Bader
was shot down by ground fire attacking ground targets in France. He was a
PoW in `Colditz`. I am surprised that the German visitors do not know
anything about the castles use as a high security camp. Perhaps Americans
don`t either. Anyone interested contact me off list.

The guy in my story was Navy and flew an obsolete torpedo bomber called the
Swordfish. He was wounded after VE day.

Cheers

Pat

Dana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

At 11:33 AM 12/30/2009, pj.ladd wrote:

Quote:
Bader was RAF and started the war with no legs. Also I don`t thinkthere is enough room to put your feet up on the instrument panel in a Spitfire. Bader was shot down by ground fire attacking ground targets in France. He was a PoW in `Colditz`. I am surprised that the German visitors do not know anything about the castles use as a high security camp. Perhaps Americans don`t either. Anyone interested contact me off list.

Those who want to know more about Douglas Bader should check out Paul Brickhill's bio of him, "Reach For the Sky". Besides the Battle of Britian stuff, it provides a fascinating insight into the life of an RAF officer both before and during the war.

There have been a number of books written about Colditz. This was where the prisoners managed to construct a 2 seat glider to be used in an escape attempt. The plan was to catapult it off the roof using the weight of a bathtub full of concrete, but the war ended before it could be used.

Not Kolb related, so do not archive.

-Dana
--
The early bird catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese. [quote][b]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: de gaussing Reply with quote

This was where
the prisoners managed to construct a 2 seat glider to be used in an escape
attempt.>>

Hi Dana,
that glider was rebuilt for a BBC programme and it flew with several of the Colditz glider builders looking on. They were tickled pink that it had actually worked.

IThe design was in fact very like the German `Grunau` on which I went solo on 21st March 1965. 3 whole minutes flying with 4 minutes on my second flight. You can tell what the glide angle was like as those launches were on the wire probably to 1000 ft. About the same as a Kolb i guess.
Any glider pilot before the war would have known of the Grunau so not really surprising that they built it that shape.

Happy New Year
Pat
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: