Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comm and marker beacon antennas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n744bh(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

I'm thinking about building a comm dipole to put in my Glasair and am curious as to the need for any toroids on the feedline. I've got the dipole formula and an antenna analyzer for tuning it but the toroid question is what I need an answer to. I'll be mounting it in the interior of the airplane and it will be at least 3' from my other comm antenna.

Next question...has anyone built a marker beacon antenna? As long as I'm building antennas I thought I might build one of these also.

Bill
Glasair SIIS-FT
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

Good Evening Bill,

I have no knowledge concerning making an antenna, but may I ask why you want to install a marker beacon antenna? Or, for that matter, why you want a marker beacon receiver?

The marker beacon is no longer a part of an ILS and very few enroute marker beacons are still in service in the US National Airspace System. An IFR approved GPS position can legally be used for any function that might otherwise require gaining a position via a marker beacon.

It is not much more useful than would be a low frequency receiver that will allow you to shoot a four course low frequency range approach. Save your time and money and forget that ancient antique. It is no longer needed for any modern approach.

Many of the beacons that are still shown on approaches have been notamed out of service because components are no longer available to repair the units.

Once again, the very few positions that might use a beacon can be more easily and accurately located via an IFR approved GPS.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Downers Grove, Illinois
Stearman N3977A

In a message dated 12/31/2009 9:29:32 P.M. Central Standard Time, n744bh(at)bellsouth.net writes:
Quote:
I'm thinking about building a comm dipole to put in my Glasair and am curious as to the need for any toroids on the feedline. I've got the dipole formula and an antenna analyzer for tuning it but the toroid question is what I need an answer to. I'll be mounting it in the interior of the airplane and it will be at least 3' from my other comm antenna.

Next question...has anyone built a marker beacon antenna? As long as I'm building antennas I thought I might build one of these also.

Bill
Glasair SIIS-FT
Quote:

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rjquillin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

At 19:47 12/31/2009, you wrote:
Quote:
The marker beacon is no longer a part of an ILS and very few enroute marker beacons are still in service in the US National Airspace System. An IFR approved GPS position can legally be used for any function that might otherwise require gaining a position via a marker beacon.

It is not much more useful than would be a low frequency receiver that will allow you to shoot a four course low frequency range approach. Save your time and money and forget that ancient antique. It is no longer needed for any modern approach.

I won't disagree, but the LOC-D approach at my home 'drome, KSEE, with a FM, allows descent from 2700 to 1580.
So, lacking that approach certified GPS, it -can- still be useful...

Ron Q. [quote][b]

tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

RST has an antenna kit that supplies the formula for what you want to do as well as the instructions for installing in a glass airframe and the toroids you need. You can gather all this yourself if you want to go to the trouble, the only difficult thing to find are the torroids but they are out there and someone will know where to get them.
Tim

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill Hibbing
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:22 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas

Bill

Glasair SIIS-FT
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

n744bh(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

Bob and Ron,
Thanks for the info. I guess I probably knew that but thought that since the audio panel already had a MB rcvr in it I could build an el cheapo antenna. I know I'm not willing to spend any money on trying to receive an obsolete system. I've decided to splurge and put in a second comm radio/gps so that's why I've got an audio panel now...didn't need it with just one comm/gps. Well, actually I'm putting in a bit more.

Bill
[quote] ---

dsvs(at)ca.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

Bill, The market beacon antenna is 40 inches of copper foil or the sane length of coax with the shield removed. Position it for to aft and horizontal and it will work fine. Mine is in a glass wing tip on my RV
DonVS
RV7 flying

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bill Hibbing
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:22 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas

Bill  

Glasair SIIS-FT
Quote:
www.aeroelectric.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

Good Evening Ron,

That particular approach was what got me interested in the current status of marker beacons.

A few of years ago, I wanted to shoot that approach, but the marker beacon was listed as being out of service so the minima was very high. I checked with the local FEDS and was told that it was highly unlikely that the fan marker would ever be returned to service as they were having trouble finding parts for the repair.

I had an IFR approved GPS, but under the AIM interpretation of that time, substitution of a GPS measurement was not approved. (That interpretation in the AIM has since been changed) There was no intersection listed to be used in place of the Fan Marker. I requested that an intersection be named so that we could use that intersection in lieu of the fan marker. That intersection was then designated so under the old AIM interpretation we could use the GPS in lieu of the fan marker. I asked whether or not a radar fix from the tower could be used in lieu of the marker. I was told that such use was dependent on whether or not the particular controller who was working that position was radar qualified. The last statement was NOT agreed to by all of the FEDs with whom I spoke.

The last time I was at KSEE was last spring for the Beechcraft Heritage Museum spring board meeting and the fan marker was still inoperative, but with the new intersection available, there was no question as to whether or not the GPS could be used.

Is that marker beacon now back in service?

I would be very interested in any other example within the US National Airspace System where a marker beacon is still required and a GPS cannot be substituted. I think we can get such a situation rectified if we try. It worked at your home drome! <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 12/31/2009 11:06:14 P.M. Central Standard Time, rjquillin(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
At 19:47 12/31/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

I won't disagree, but the LOC-D approach at my home 'drome, KSEE, with a FM, allows descent from 2700 to 1580.
So, lacking that approach certified GPS, it -can- still be useful...

Ron Q.
Quote:

====================================
ttp://www.aeroelectric.com/">www.aeroelectric.com
m/ href="http://www.buildersbooks.com/">www.buildersbooks.com
"http://www.homebuilthelp.com/">www.homebuilthelp.com
//www.howtocrimp.com/">www.howtocrimp.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
List href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

At 09:21 PM 12/31/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

The toroids add no value. Install and cut to
lowest SWR at your center-frequency of interest.
Quote:

Marker beacons are so strong that a wet string
will nearly suffice. Hook a 40' piece of 22AWG
wire into the antenna connector and tape it to
the inside of the fuselage in as "strung out
straight" as possible. But GPS offers better
identification of the markers. Many markers
are not being repaired as they crap out.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

rjquillin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

Some interesting history, thanks Bob.

I just pulled up the current LOC-D approach chart.
GRIGG FM is still on the chart but seems to lack any information identifying it as an intersection on the chart,
as do both SAMOS and BARET the IAF and FAF's.
However, lighting up my 480 sim, I find it is in the DB as an intersection.

I flew the approach a few months ago in a non-gps PA-22; and GRIGG was indeed, in service.

Ron Q.

At 23:33 12/31/2009, you wrote:
[quote]From: BobsV35B(at)aol.com

Good Evening Ron,

That particular approach was what got me interested in the current status of marker beacons.

A few of years ago, I wanted to shoot that approach, but the marker beacon was listed as being out of service so the minima was very high. I checked with the local FEDS and was told that it was highly unlikely that the fan marker would ever be returned to service as they were having trouble finding parts for the repair.

I had an IFR approved GPS, but under the AIM interpretation of that time, substitution of a GPS measurement was not approved. (That interpretation in the AIM has since been changed) There was no intersection listed to be used in place of the Fan Marker. I requested that an intersection be named so that we could use that intersection in lieu of the fan marker. That intersection was then designated so under the old AIM interpretation we could use the GPS in lieu of the fan marker. I asked whether or not a radar fix from the tower could be used in lieu of the marker. I was told that such use was dependent on whether or not the particular controller who was working that position was radar qualified. The last statement was NOT agreed to by all of the FEDs with whom I spoke.

The last time I was at KSEE was last spring for the Beechcraft Heritage Museum spring board meeting and the fan marker was still inoperative, but with the new intersection available, there was no question as to whether or not the GPS could be used.

I would be very interested in any other example within the US National Airspace System where a marker beacon is still required and a GPS cannot be substituted. I think we can get such a situation rectified if we try. It worked at your home drome! <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob[b]

bobsv35b(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Comm and marker beacon antennas Reply with quote

Good Morning Ron,

Glad to hear they found the parts! Took a couple of years though.

I have been trying to research the necessity of having a marker beacon receiver and have been able to find very few places where it serves any purpose at all. There are several that are colocated with an NDB or where a DME distance can be used. Those approaches, generally localizer approaches, would need one of the following to shoot the approach. A DME, ADF, marker beacon receiver, IFR approved GPS, or a fix from a controller who is qualified to give that RADAR fix.

They were removed as a requirement for ILS approaches several years ago. Many are still in service, but they are no longer required to be used. It is nice to be able to check the glide path intercept altitude at some sort of fix, but such a requirement does not exist in the routine US regulatory requirements. Some pilot examiners may not like it, but that is the way it goes! <G>

It's kinda like timing an approach. Fun to see if an applicant does so, but VERY rarely needed!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 1/1/2010 9:53:21 A.M. Central Standard Time, rjquillin(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
Some interesting history, thanks Bob.

I just pulled up the current LOC-D approach chart.
GRIGG FM is still on the chart but seems to lack any information identifying it as an intersection on the chart,
as do both SAMOS and BARET the IAF and FAF's.
However, lighting up my 480 sim, I find it is in the DB as an intersection.

I flew the approach a few months ago in a non-gps PA-22; and GRIGG was indeed, in service.

Ron Q.

At 23:33 12/31/2009, you wrote:
Quote:

Good Evening Ron,

I had an IFR approved GPS, but under the AIM interpretation of that time, substitution of a GPS measurement was not approved. (That interpretation in the AIM has since been changed) There was no intersection listed to be used in place of the Fan Marker. I requested that an intersection be named so that we could use that intersection in lieu of the fan marker. That intersection was then designated so under the old AIM interpretation we could use the GPS in lieu of the fan marker. I asked whether or not a radar fix from the tower could be used in lieu of the marker. I was told that such use was dependent on whether or not the particular controller who was working that position was radar qualified. The last statement was NOT agreed to by all of the FEDs with whom I spoke.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: