Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MV date decided yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

John H -I think you were asking folks which weekend would work best for the MV fly-in this year. Have you had any responses? Has a decision been made? I'm hoping to be there - and want to be sure my calendar is clear for which-ever weekend is decided on. (Right now it makes no difference.)
Arty Trost
Maxair Drifter
Sandy, Oregon

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/uladventure2009.htm

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

Hi Arty/Gang:

The 2010 Unplanned/Unorgnized Kolb Flyin Monument Valley, Utah will be held from Friday, 21 May until Sunday, 23 May 2010.

Normally, we get there sometime on Thursday. If you want to get there a week early, that's ok too. If you want to stay late, that's ok, but most of us will be heading out for other places, and home, on Sunday morning. I'll be flying to the Rock House, 7 miles south of Burns Junction, Oregon, along with anybody else that wants to tag along. Last year there were four of us that flew from MV, and joined up with three more Kolbs at Larry and Karen Cottrell's. Needless to say, we had a grand and exciting time. Amazing at the varied inclement weather conditions that can be handed out by Mother Nature in the SE corner of Oregon. On the other hand, she can also hand out some beautiful flying days to take advantage of that part of our great country.

Glad to hear Arty is going to join us again, even though she flies one of those other ultralights. Wink

BTW: Everyone is welcome at our flyin, no matter what you fly or how you get there. Remember though, some of us fly as much as 20 hours to get there, so if we aren't ready to jump back in the air and fly circles around MV, it is because we are getting old and lazy, and still have 50 or more hours to fly before we get back home.

I am looking forward to this year's flyin. Hope to see all of you there.

john h
mkIII

[quote] I think you were asking folks which weekend would work best for the MV fly-in this year. Have you had any responses? Has a decision been made? I'm hoping to be there - and want to be sure my calendar is clear for which-ever weekend is decided on. (Right now it makes no difference.)

Arty Trost

Quote:
[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

I want to add that if anyone is so inclined, they are also welcome at the Rock House afterward. There is plenty of space for planes and people.
Larry Cottrell

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

Will the ice be melted at the Rock House by May?

I am going to have to take an ice pick with me to Gantt International and chip my mkIII out of the hanger if I am going to attempt aviation tomorrow. If it stays in the 30's, I ain't gonna go.

john h
mkIII

DO NOT ATTEMPT
[quote]
I want to add that if anyone is so inclined, they are also welcome at the Rock House afterward. There is plenty of space for planes and people.
Larry Cottrell

[b]

Titus, Alabama
lcottrell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

I will guarantee that the ice will be melted and the wind no more than 6 to 10 down the runway!
Larry

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

sounds like either a retired car salesman or investment advisor....BB
nice here at zero and calm. Dog's out hunting squirrels at 7:00AM
I'll be with him after some coffee
do not archive

On 9, Jan 2010, at 11:53 PM, Larry Cottrell wrote:
[quote]I will guarantee that the ice will be melted and the wind no more than 6 to 10 down the runway!
Larry

[quote]---

George Alexander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:

The 2010 Unplanned/Unorganized Kolb Flyin Monument Valley, Utah will be held from Friday, 21 May until Sunday, 23 May 2010.

With the discussions concerning this year's Monument Valley gathering, it was a good time to update the material from past years. Take a look.... might be the incentive to go if you hadn't planned on it.....

Added the miscellaneous material received from a couple of people for 2006. Not very organized (goes with the event).

Also added material that John Hauck sent me for 2009. A little better organized.

If any of you have material from any of the years and want it added, send it on to me. Pictures with words to go with them would be great.

And for those of you that do make it this year, send the stuff and we'll put it up too.

Click on http://gtalexander.home.att.net and then "Monument Valley Gatherings"

http://www.oh2fly.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lcottrell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

Perhaps a bit of an explanation is due here. I had kind of expected an outburst from John Bickham. When the boys were coming in last year, they were still operating on reflexes honed in the South. The wind was up a bit, even for here. My airstrip is a bit under a lot of the airflow that generally blows from the west. I had a "wind meter" that we used on the Railroad that was supposed to determine when the wind was blowing too hard for safe welding out in the field. Having no reason to doubt that the wind gage might be less accurate than my "WAG". When they called for landing suggestions I checked the wind, and found that the meter showed 6 to 10 mph and it was blowing right down the runway. They of course will swear that it was nothing less than a "Gale force wind". In the future we used my other wind meter to check. It is a 1/4 pound rock dropped from a height of 6 feet.
Larry (honest as the day is long) Cottrell

[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

> With the discussions concerning this year's Monument Valley gathering, it
was a good time to update the material from past years. Take a look....
might be the incentive to go if you hadn't planned on it.....
Quote:

Added the miscellaneous material received from a couple of people for
2006. Not very organized (goes with the event).

Quote:
Click on http://gtalexander.home.att.net and then "Monument Valley
Gatherings"

--------
George Alexander

George/Gang:

A special pat on the back for the time and hard work you volunteer to do to
keep Kolb history.

If you all have captions for the photos George has posted to his web site,
please send them to him. I am the laziest of that bunch, but through
George's goading, I have gotten captions for last year's MV Flyin, and will
have some more soon for the 2006 MV Flyin. Those captions are as important
as the photos.

john h
mkIII - 11F with a warming trend on the way.

Titus, Alabama
by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

Perhaps a bit of an explanation is due here. I had kind of expected an outburst from John Bickham. When the boys were coming in last year, they were still operating on reflexes honed in the South. The wind was up a bit, even for here. My airstrip is a bit under a lot of the airflow that generally blows from the west. I had a "wind meter" that we used on the Railroad that was supposed to determine when the wind was blowing too hard for safe welding out in the field. Having no reason to doubt that the wind gage might be less accurate than my "WAG". When they called for landing suggestions I checked the wind, and found that the meter showed 6 to 10 mph and it was blowing right down the runway. They of course will swear that it was nothing less than a "Gale force wind". In the future we used my other wind meter to check. It is a 1/4 pound rock dropped from a height of 6 feet.
Larry (honest as the day is long) Cottrell

Larry,,,,,, have you noticed how short the days have been the last few weeks???????????????????? LOL Wink

Boyd

Do not archive
[quote][b]

russkinne(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

John
Happy 2010, and I hope your 'warming trend' has arrived. Nothing
colder than a warm state that gets a sudden cold snap.
I've near-fruz in Pensacola more than once. I feel sorry for the
many people, and kids, who don't have warm clothes or any insulaion
in their houses.
But you have thoughts of MV10 to keep you warm!
Fair winds,
Russ

John Bickham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

Don't want to let Larry down due to lack of outburst!!!

Sorry, been a little busy. Past weekend in the teen's not good. Petro-chemical plants not designed to handle that down here. Found out fiber-optics can be freeze affected!! News to a lot a folks here.

I learned a lot on that day. First, that is probably the last time you'll hear me say, "I'll go first!!!"

Second, if you see dust being picked up 1000' feet in the air 6-8 miles away, chances are pretty slim the wind is "6-10 mph right down the runway".

Third, your "wind shadow" from the raised terrain on the west side of the runway is lower than the height of the barbed wire fence on the north end of the runway. I'm guessing somewhere close to 6-8"!!!!
If you remember, you mentioned the "wind shadow" as we approached with a somewhat doubtful tone on the radio.

Fourth, you got a pretty good first step! As I touched down and the crosswind started to overpower the rudder causing a swerve, you demonstrated an amazing initial evasive move.

You know I'm just kidding. It was the trip of a lifetime for me! Your and Ms Karen's hospitality was much appreciated and hope to have the chance to return the favor someday.

The following is one of my favorite Kolb video's. Give folks some appreciation of what we are talking about. The wind was not this bad when we landed, but it sure wasn't "6-10, right down the runway"!!!
Pay attention to the power setting on approach and the the ground roll. For perspective, I'm guessing Larry's hangar is about 40 ft wide. This is on the crosswind runway that is not readily visible to first time arrivals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYsdarPcnY&feature=channel

Also if some folks are interested in what last year's trip was like, you might find the blog I kept during trip interesting.
http://kolbadventures.blogspot.com/

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
lucien

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

I've also lost track of how many bazillion times I've watched this video too. Just goes to show you what our light airplanes are capable of when flown by expert pilots.

When I was ferrying my plane to NM from JD's place in NE, I had to put down about an hour into the first leg of the trip. The headwinds were so strong that my ground speed was cut in half (airspeed about 100mph, GS reduced to about 50 shortly after t/o). Had only about 3 hrs in the plane (it was definitely NOT being flown by an expert) and the place I chose to land (loup city, NE) was blowing 25G40 about 20degs to the right. Amazing I did no damage. I've had no desire to fly in conditions like that since tho I've come close just as a matter of circumstances.

You guys still amaze me with your endurance and flying skill and show what the Kolb is capable of.

WX is looking good this weekend for another trip, hopefully I won't have to put down in such winds....

LS

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

> I learned a lot on that day. First, that is probably the last time you'll
hear me say, "I'll go first!!!"
Quote:

>

Quote:
John Bickham

John B/Gang:

Ya done good, John Boy!

You and Bruce C both got one Hell of an initiation that day.

I had forgotten about the big dust cloud until you reminded me.

My hands don't sweat often when I fly, especially when it is cold. I had to
wipe my hands on my Levis leg several times on final that day.

Glad I knew about the cross wind strip. I probably would not have made a
satisfactory landing on the main strip.

Looking forward to doing it again this year.

6 to 10 right down the runway.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: MV date decided yet? Reply with quote

John, I hope this doesn't mean that you aren't coming this year? Karen will be devastated or at least distressed.
Larry

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: