Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windscreen Fairing First Look!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look! Reply with quote

Dear Listers,

I've been working hard on the front, fixed fairing around the windscreen this week. Literally, I've been dreading this job more than ANY other on this project. Tonight I sanded though the first layer of electrical tape and in one little spot the second layer started to come up, so I had to pull all of the electrical tape off and so I was able to check out the actual fiberglass fairing after two days of sanding! Yahoo! It came out nearly perfect!! Not bad for creating a fairing out of nothing! The process described in the manual really does work amazingly well. I followed it to the tee up to this point.

Now I have to retape everything, add a layer of resin mixed with filler, then final sand the whole thing. Should be pretty straight forward, but a couple of days worth of work.

Almost done...

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
http://www.mattsrv8.com - Matt's RV-8 Construction Blog

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List

20100129-3829.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.65 KB
 Viewed:  8523 Time(s)

20100129-3829.jpg

20100129-3830.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.49 KB
 Viewed:  8523 Time(s)

20100129-3830.jpg

koppk1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look! Reply with quote

Hey Matt - the fairing looks great.

I'm assuming you lay it up with tape under so you can remove it and clean up both the top and bottom edges then glue in place on the fuse and windscreen? Am I correct?

Thanks,

Ken

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

smime.p7s
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  smime.p7s
 Filesize:  4.8 KB
 Downloaded:  626 Time(s)

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look! Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

No, per the instructions, the fairing is bonded right to the plexi and the top of the fuselage. The multi-layer electrical tape trick gives you a really nice edge on the plexi, and you sand the fuselage edge down to nothing for a feathered edge. Using this technique, it would seem that you can come up with a much thinner and lighter fairing. If it had to be removable, it would have to be 4 or 5 times thicker particularly at the edges. I think.

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
At 07:33 AM 1/31/2010 Sunday, you wrote:
[quote]Hey Matt - the fairing looks great.

I'm assuming you lay it up with tape under so you can remove it and clean up both the top and bottom edges then glue in place on the fuse and windscreen? Am I correct?

Thanks,

Ken

--

algrajek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look! Reply with quote

Looks really nice Matt:
Isint the fairing supposed to go OVER the canopy skirt though? They may have changed it since my first 8. I am getting close to doing this as well. Got any good pics of the canopy fit up and cut?
Did you bond your canopy or screws?
Thanks
AL Grajek

[quote] Date: Fri C 29 Jan 2010 19:51:40 -0800
To: rv-list(at)matronics.com; rv8-list(at)matronics.com; rv7-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV8-List: Windscreen Fairing First Look!

Dear Listers C

I've been working hard on the front C fixed fairing around the windscreen this week. Literally C I've been dreading this job more than ANY other on this project. Tonight I sanded though the first layer of electrical tape and in one little spot the second layer started to come up C so I had to pull all of the electrical tape off and so I was able to check out the actual fiberglass fairing after two days of sanding! Yahoo! It came out nearly perfect!! Not bad for creating a fairing out of nothing! The process described in the manual really does work amazingly well. I followed it to the tee up to this point.

Now I have to retape everything C add a layer of resin mixed with filler C then final sand the whole thing. Should be pretty straight forward C but a couple of days worth of work.

Almost done...

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
Quote:
[b]

Matt Dralle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look! Reply with quote

Thanks, Al!

I went a little different way on the windscreen. I fashioned a .032 metal bezel up and over the top of the roll bar. Its about 2.5" wide. It worked out really nice because I was able to powder coat the underside of it before I assembled everything. Plus, I didn't have to get all of the sanding dust inside the plane! So, the fiberglass fairing only has to go around the front of the windscreen and then butt up against the metal fairing. Much easier. I'm not even sure how I would have done a fiberglass lay up over the top of the roll bar. The canopy skirts fit underneath the metal bezel that goes over the roll bar. So does the first 3/4" of the canopy too.

As far as the sliding canopy, I opted to use AN rivnuts and #6 screws all the way around. Worked good. Canopy replacement in the future should be pretty easy - not that I want to, mind you. But, since I cracked the first one - just as it was finished - I'm for anything that will ease the future removal/installation since the screws made installing the second on much easier.

I've attached a few pictures for your viewing pleasure...

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
At 04:57 PM 1/31/2010 Sunday, you wrote:
Quote:
Looks really nice Matt:
Isint the fairing supposed to go OVER the canopy skirt though? They may have changed it since my first 8. I am getting close to doing this as well. Got any good pics of the canopy fit up and cut?
Did you bond your canopy or screws?
Thanks
AL Grajek

> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:51:40 -0800
> To: rv-list(at)matronics.com; rv8-list(at)matronics.com; rv7-list(at)matronics.com
> From: dralle(at)matronics.com
> Subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look!
>
>
> Dear Listers,
>
> I've been working hard on the front, fixed fairing around the windscreen this week. Literally, I've been dreading this job more than ANY other on this project. Tonight I sanded though the first layer of electrical tape and in one little spot the second layer started to come up, so I had to pull all of the electrical tape off and so I was able to check out the actual fiberglass fairing after two days of sanding! Yahoo! It came out nearly perfect!! Not bad for creating a fairing out of nothing! The process described in the manual really does work amazingly well. I followed it to the tee up to this point.
>
> Now I have to retape everything, add a layer of resin mixed with filler, then final sand the whole thing. Should be pretty straight forward, but a couple of days worth of work.
>
> Almost done...
>
> Matt Dralle
> RV-8 #82880 N998RV
> http://www.mattsrv8.com - Matt's RV-8 Construction Blog

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.4 KB
 Viewed:  8515 Time(s)

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(1).jpg

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.71 KB

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(4).jpg

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(5).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.28 KB

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(5).jpg

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(8).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  117.04 KB

2010.01.12_-_RV-8_-_Sealing_Windscreen_Bezel_With_Silicone_(8).jpg

2010.01.14_-_RV-8_-_Final_Instrument_Panel_Installation_(4).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.1 KB

2010.01.14_-_RV-8_-_Final_Instrument_Panel_Installation_(4).jpg

2010.01.19_-_RV-8_-_Canopy_Frame_Side_Panel_Labeling_&_Installation_Complete_(7).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.39 KB

2010.01.19_-_RV-8_-_Canopy_Frame_Side_Panel_Labeling_&_Installation_Complete_(7).jpg

2010.01.19_-_RV-8_-_Canopy_Frame_Side_Panel_Labeling_&_Installation_Complete_(9).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.08 KB

2010.01.19_-_RV-8_-_Canopy_Frame_Side_Panel_Labeling_&_Installation_Complete_(9).jpg

2010.01.19_-_RV-8_-_Canopy_Frame_Side_Panel_Labeling_&_Installation_Complete_(10).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.54 KB

2010.01.19_-_RV-8_-_Canopy_Frame_Side_Panel_Labeling_&_Installation_Complete_(10).jpg

2010.01.20_-_RV-8_-_Sliding_Canopy_Installation_Complete_(6).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.79 KB

2010.01.20_-_RV-8_-_Sliding_Canopy_Installation_Complete_(6).jpg

2010.01.20_-_RV-8_-_Sliding_Canopy_Installation_Complete_(7).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  155.01 KB

2010.01.20_-_RV-8_-_Sliding_Canopy_Installation_Complete_(7).jpg

2010.01.20_-_RV-8_-_Sliding_Canopy_Installation_Complete_(10).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  147.35 KB

2010.01.20_-_RV-8_-_Sliding_Canopy_Installation_Complete_(10).jpg

algrajek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look! Reply with quote

Very nice Job Matt!
You should sell those bezels. I would buy one. I may try the same thing. looks relatively easy if I can find the alum strip around here. Who did your seats?
Al

[quote] Date: Sun C 31 Jan 2010 17:14:30 -0800
To: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Windscreen Fairing First Look!

Thanks C Al!

I went a little different way on the windscreen. I fashioned a .032 metal bezel up and over the top of the roll bar. Its about 2.5" wide. It worked out really nice because I was able to powder coat the underside of it before I assembled everything. Plus C I didn't have to get all of the sanding dust inside the plane! So C the fiberglass fairing only has to go around the front of the windscreen and then butt up against the metal fairing. Much easier. I'm not even sure how I would have done a fiberglass lay up over the top of the roll bar. The canopy skirts fit underneath the metal bezel that goes over the roll bar. So does the first 3/4" of the canopy too.

As far as the sliding canopy C I opted to use AN rivnuts and #6 screws all the way around. Worked good. Canopy replacement in the future should be pretty easy - not that I want to C mind you. But C since I cracked the first one - just as it was finished - I'm for anything that will ease the future removal/installation since the screws made installing the second on much easier.

I've attached a few pictures for your viewing pleasure...

Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV

At 04:57 PM 1/31/2010 Sunday C you wrote:
>Looks really nice Matt:
>Isint the fairing supposed to go OVER the canopy skirt though? They may have changed it since my first 8. I am getting close to doing this as well. Got any good pics of the canopy fit up and cut?
>Did you bond your canopy or screws?
>Thanks
>AL Grajek
>
>> Date: Fri C 29 Jan 2010 19:51:40 -0800
>> To: rv-list(at)matronics.com; rv8-list(at)matronics.com; rv7-list(at)matronics.com
>> From: dralle(at)matronics.com
>> Subject: Windscreen Fairing First Look!
>>
>>
>> Dear Listers C
>>
>> I've been working hard on the front C fixed fairing around the windscreen this week. Literally C I've been dreading this job more than ANY other on this project. Tonight I sanded though the first layer of electrical tape and in one little spot the second layer started to come up C so I had to pull all of the electrical tape off and so I was able to check out the actual fiberglass fairing after two days of sanding! Yahoo! It came out nearly perfect!! Not bad for creating a fairing out of nothing! The process described in the manual really does work amazingly well. I followed it to the tee up to this point.
>>
>> Now I have to retape everything C add a layer of resin mixed with filler C then final sand the whole thing. Should be pretty straight forward C but a couple of days worth of work.
>>
>> Almost done...
>>
>> Matt Dralle
>> RV-8 #82880 N998RV
>> http://www.mattsrv8.com - Matt's RV-8 Construction Blog

Matt G Dralle | Matronics | PO Box 347 | Livermore | CA | 94551
925-606-1001 V | 925-606-6281 F | dralle(at)matronics.com Email
http://www.matronics.com/ WWW | Featuring Products For Aircraft

Quote:
[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: