Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stein eyeball vents and Van's NACA vents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indigoonlatigo(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Stein eyeball vents and Van's NACA vents. Reply with quote

I spent a small amount of time last weekend figuring out how I am going to mount those nice Stein eyeball vents with my standard Van's panel. In addition, Stein removed the small flange on the side of the panel which ties into the fuselage side with two rivets. 

I have been having a hell of a time cutting clean, large holes in aluminum, I don't have a fly cutter or whole saws and the pnuemetic nibbler is not much fun. I made a thin aluminum prototype to get the height and the angle correct to work with the NACA vent on the side of the fuse. I am contemplating having many of these made up by giving to a water jet cutter.

I realize that most builders are using aftermarket panels and have made other arrrangement for these eyeball vents, but is anyone interested in helping defray the cost of this process. If I do this I will cut one pair, mount them and verify that it works and then cut others pairs if people are interested in paying for them(no profit). I imagine most of the cost will be in scanning the image and verifying the dimensions while digitizing the information for the cutter. Once the info is in the computer it will be easy to run a lot of them.

I will also be tying this mount into the side of the fuse where those two #40 rivet holes are where Stein removed the panel flange.

Here are some photos.

BTW if anyone has a simpler method of mounting these with my setup, please let me know.

John

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

vents.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.95 KB
 Viewed:  1255 Time(s)

vents.jpg

vents_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.53 KB

vents_1.jpg

vents2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.08 KB

vents2.jpg

vents_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.22 KB

vents_3.jpg

rv10builder(at)verizon.ne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Stein eyeball vents and Van's NACA vents. Reply with quote

go back to 4/17/2008 Thanes States had a solution:
Go to lowes or H.D and B-line it for the plumbing department,
then look for the rubber fittings to attach PVC, in line, 1 1/2". Get a
coupling for 1 1/2" pipe, it will be about 4" long and have two hose clamps
on each end. You will need to cut the two ends off with a band saw, or your
weapon of choice. Cut just inside of the groove where the clamp sets. You
will now have two couplings for each vent.
Then you can use a dremal to cut the big flange off the NACA inlets, about
1/4 inch from the seam, or so you have 1 1/2" diameter left. Then with the
nut ring still on the eyeball vent insert it into the rubber coupling and
place the whole unit over the NACA vent, and tighten the hose clamp.
Sound complicated but take around 30 minutes.

Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 9:26 PM
To: RV 10 group (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Stein eyeball vents and Van's NACA vents.

I spent a small amount of time last weekend figuring out how I am going to mount those nice Stein eyeball vents with my standard Van's panel. In addition, Stein removed the small flange on the side of the panel which ties into the fuselage side with two rivets.

I have been having a hell of a time cutting clean, large holes in aluminum, I don't have a fly cutter or whole saws and the pnuemetic nibbler is not much fun. I made a thin aluminum prototype to get the height and the angle correct to work with the NACA vent on the side of the fuse. I am contemplating having many of these made up by giving to a water jet cutter.

I realize that most builders are using aftermarket panels and have made other arrrangement for these eyeball vents, but is anyone interested in helping defray the cost of this process. If I do this I will cut one pair, mount them and verify that it works and then cut others pairs if people are interested in paying for them(no profit). I imagine most of the cost will be in scanning the image and verifying the dimensions while digitizing the information for the cutter. Once the info is in the computer it will be easy to run a lot of them.

I will also be tying this mount into the side of the fuse where those two #40 rivet holes are where Stein removed the panel flange.

Here are some photos.

BTW if anyone has a simpler method of mounting these with my setup, please let me know.

John
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: