Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wing tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: wing tips Reply with quote

That is the finest kolb tip I've seen so far.

Quote:
http://forums.matronics.com//files/1_wing_tip_102.jpg

Must have been tricky to shrink.

Busy day of moving vehicles today. When you live in the north
country and don't have a lot of storage space it means shuttling
contraptions to and fro that haint run in 6 months.
-jumpering the dead ignition on the old Massey.
Took a gallon of Molson's but I did it. The Kolb is back up at
the runway, at the mercy of the rodents, bees, wasps, coons
walking all over it.
Now to get my good brother to help spread the wings.
-BB do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
biglar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: wing tips Reply with quote

Harrr..........that Molson's in the mechanic (on the ground) is as good as
MMO in the engine. Do not Archive.

Larry Bourne
Palm Springs, CA
Building Kolb Mk III
N78LB Vamoose
www.gogittum.com

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

"Vamoose"
esteuber(at)rochester.rr.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Wing tips Reply with quote

Just catching up on the conversation but need to put in my observations concerning wing tips......All the fancy expensive tips will not do any more than flat pieces of 1/4 plywood at the end of the airfoil. Cropdusters have been doing it since the end of WW2 on just about every early spray plane that was used ...consensus was that a fence on the end was good .. A lip of 6'" to 12'' above and below the airfoil all the way around depending on your own preference...ugly ....but it works. Lots of Stearmans were set up this way and I flew one for a while . Added effect was the wingtip vortice is reduced that helps in a better spray pattern and reduced drift...Early experimental guys had the same result in that it increases control and lowers stall at low speeds and helps at cruise...
I remember hearing the story of the Cherokee driver buying the expensive x-brand wingtip and flying his machine with no apparent improvement....decided to replace one tip with the original and left the x-brand on one side and flew it with no difference in handling ....then removed all wing tips and no change again . Put the fancy ones back on cause it looked " purrdy"....Is this just an "urban legend" or is there some fact to it ? Anybody know ?
On the subject of Scott Crossfield ...I'm dissappointed in Chuck Yeagers comments (if true). I would think he would be wise enough to know not to criticize a dead pilot when the facts aren't known yet...Even when the facts from the investigation are in , key info may be overlooked . I have seen accident investigations botched so the best policy is to grieve their passing and shut-up...
Cropduster Ed in Western NY
do not archive

n79rt(at)kilocharlie.us

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Wing tips Reply with quote

<snip>
On the subject of Scott Crossfield ...I'm dissappointed in Chuck
Yeagers comments (if true). I would think he would be wise enough to
know not to criticize a dead pilot when the facts aren't known
yet...Even when the facts from the investigation are in , key info may
be overlooked . I have seen accident investigations botched so the best
policy is to grieve their passing and shut-up...

Cropduster Ed in Western NY
do not archive

<snip>

Haven't heard what 'ol Chuck said...what was it?

Jeremy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: