Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly-In To Homers - My Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Fly-In To Homers - My Report Reply with quote

Kolb Group,

Another great fly-in took place at Homer Kolb's home/farm in Phoenixville, Pa. on Saturday June 14, 2008.

My personal plan had been to fly from Alloway airport (NJ) to Smoketown airport (PA), a flight of about 62 statute miles, to join up with the Kolb guys in that area, and then we would all fly en mass to Homers. Unfortunately, my flying buddy Alan Mancus, was very late getting to the airport and we did not lift off until 7:45 AM. I had figured about 1-1/2 hours flight time to Smoketown, which would put us there about 9:15 AM. Terry (FireFly #95) had said to be there by 8:30 AM, since they would be departing at 9 AM. Alan and I would have arrived after they left. I then decided to change my plan and fly directly to Homers, about 46 sm. The sky was partly cloudy and the air was relatively smooth, but the visibility was very poor. In fact, Dr Seuss would have probably called it, "Stink, Stank, Stunk". We had to deal with the Philadelphia TCA limits on our right and Wilmington, De on the left. A few doglegs got us through, but if the GPS were to give out, we would have been SOL. The underlying terrain is very hostile, in that it is completely built up with buildings, roads, oil tank farms and such. Not to mention crossing the Delaware River. Scary!

We landed at Kolbs strip about 8:45 AM. George Alexander is always there, waiting at the strip to snap those pictures as the Kolb planes arrive. George has a nice web site with many pictures of the past Homer fly-ins. I suppose he will do so again for this year. Homer came out to greet us and shake our hands. His grandchildren were running about, sitting in our planes and throwing sticks for the dog to chase after. Very soon, the sky filled with the group of Kolb planes arriving from Smoketown. What a sight it is to see that many Kolbs in the sky at once. It was good to make acquaintance with the group again. Did I say how hot it was? The sun was sending UV rays down and it was burning our hides. Someone finally suggested we go sit down at the tree shaded patio. About 11:30 AM, Clara Kolb announced the food was ready to eat and we did. Afterwards, we walked around looking at each others planes and enjoying the camaraderie.

We should have helped the Kolb family with cleaning up chores, but with the threat of thunderstorms in the area for the afternoon, most of us were getting a little anxious to get started home. And so, one by one the planes took off and headed out. The visibility hadn't improved very much and I could hear a lot of chatter going on over the radio about where so and so was, and where was Wilmer? Alan and I had to deal with the TCA again to get back across the Delaware River to NJ. We made it home and I for one was tuckered out. I had been up since 4:30 AM, as I have a 1 hour drive just to get to the airport and about 45 minutes to get the plane out of the hangar and set up for flight, because I fold the wings every time. And then the same thing to put it away and drive home.

So, many thanks to the Kolb Family for their hospitality and to Terry Frantz for coordinating the event. I really enjoyed it!

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
ez(at)embarqmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Fly-In To Homers - My Report Reply with quote

Bill,

Thanks,
Good report of the Homer Kolb Fly-in.
Fourteen planes took off one right after the other at 9:00 am from Smoketown and flew as a group to Homer Kolb's airstrip, and joined you and the others already there.

It was good to see you and Alan and everyone again. We all had a wonderful time despite the crappy visibility and the hot humid weather.
A few of the guys ran into a little rain on the way home to the west, but it was spotty and most of us made it back home without getting in any rain.
It was an honor to have Steven Green who flew up from the deep south again but we missed having John Hauck this year and I appreciated Homer"s words of recognition of John Williamson who was with us last year. Of course you and Eddie had the distinction of being the oldest and youngest pilots to fly in again this year.
I'm eager to see all George Alexander"s pictures of the 2008 Homer Kolb Fly-in when he gets them posted on his web site.
Thanks again to you, and to all who made it there.
Gene Zimmerman

On Jun 16, 2008, at 12:10 AM, WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com (WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Kolb Group,

Another great fly-in took place at Homer Kolb's home/farm in Phoenixville, Pa. on Saturday June 14, 2008.

My personal plan had been to fly from Alloway airport (NJ) to Smoketown airport (PA), a flight of about 62 statute miles, to join up with the Kolb guys in that area, and then we would all fly en mass to Homers. Unfortunately, my flying buddy Alan Mancus, was very late getting to the airport and we did not lift off until 7:45 AM. I had figured about 1-1/2 hours flight time to Smoketown, which would put us there about 9:15 AM. Terry (FireFly #95) had said to be there by 8:30 AM, since they would be departing at 9 AM. Alan and I would have arrived after they left. I then decided to change my plan and fly directly to Homers, about 46 sm. The sky was partly cloudy and the air was relatively smooth, but the visibility was very poor. In fact, Dr Seuss would have probably called it, "Stink, Stank, Stunk". We had to deal with the Philadelphia TCA limits on our right and Wilmington, De on the left. A few doglegs got us through, but if the GPS were to give out, we would have been SOL. The underlying terrain is very hostile, in that it is completely built up with buildings, roads, oil tank farms and such. Not to mention crossing the Delaware River. Scary!

We landed at Kolbs strip about 8:45 AM. George Alexander is always there, waiting at the strip to snap those pictures as the Kolb planes arrive. George has a nice web site with many pictures of the past Homer fly-ins. I suppose he will do so again for this year. Homer came out to greet us and shake our hands. His grandchildren were running about, sitting in our planes and throwing sticks for the dog to chase after. Very soon, the sky filled with the group of Kolb planes arriving from Smoketown. What a sight it is to see that many Kolbs in the sky at once. It was good to make acquaintance with the group again. Did I say how hot it was? The sun was sending UV rays down and it was burning our hides. Someone finally suggested we go sit down at the tree shaded patio. About 11:30 AM, Clara Kolb announced the food was ready to eat and we did. Afterwards, we walked around looking at each others planes and enjoying the camaraderie.

We should have helped the Kolb family with cleaning up chores, but with the threat of thunderstorms in the area for the afternoon, most of us were getting a little anxious to get started home. And so, one by one the planes took off and headed out. The visibility hadn't improved very much and I could hear a lot of chatter going on over the radio about where so and so was, and where was Wilmer? Alan and I had to deal with the TCA again to get back across the Delaware River to NJ. We made it home and I for one was tuckered out. I had been up since 4:30 AM, as I have a 1 hour drive just to get to the airport and about 45 minutes to get the plane out of the hangar and set up for flight, because I fold the wings every time. And then the same thing to put it away and drive home.

So, many thanks to the Kolb Family for their hospitality and to Terry Frantz for coordinating the event. I really enjoyed it!

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ

Vote for your city's best dining and nightlife. City's Best 2008.
Quote:

href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
href="http://forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: