Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watkinsdw

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Greetings, fellow Kolbers,
Not sure how many of us insure our birds, but if you do, my recent experience may be useful.

When Jeff and I bought our MK3-C last May, we had no taildragger time, and got about 5 hours of excellent instruction from a gentleman in Tennessee we all know, Jim Kmet.

We're both private pilots, with about about 150 and 400 hours total time respectively. Throw in my instrument rating, and we got the best deal we could find through EAA-recommended Falcon insurance (using U.S. Specialty Insur.) for hull coverage and standard liability coverage.
The price? $1700.

When renewal time came up, we were expecting a substantial discount, since we now have about 40 hours each in our Kolb. The discount was 1%...
Despite our efforts to get Falcon to shop a more affordable policy, they said this was the only deal out there. Even when I told them that Jeff was not going to be renewing, leaving only one pilot to cover, no joy.

I then checked out another agency that advertises in AOPA Flight Training magazine. The company is Aircraft Insurance Resources
(www.air-pros.com). and they found me a policy w/ comparable coverage for $1130. The guy I talked to is Joe Cacho, and the # is 877-247-7767.
Good price, good service- moral of the story, the EAA-recommended company isn't necessarily the best.

Good luck, and may we never have any claims!
Dave
MK3-C w/ Rotax 912ULS
KPMP

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

I then checked out another agency that advertises in AOPA Flight Training
magazine. The company is Aircraft Insurance Resources
(www.air-pros.com). and they found me a policy w/ comparable coverage for
$1130. The guy I talked to is Joe Cacho, and the # is 877-247-7767.
Good price, good service- moral of the story, the EAA-recommended company
isn't necessarily the best.

Good luck, and may we never have any claims!
Dave
MK3-C w/ Rotax 912ULS
KPMP
Hi Dave W/Gang:

Just renewed with Falcon for 1,200.00. Been with them for about 6 or 7
years. My premium is down from 1,500.00 when I first started with them.

Just renewed a couple months ago. Will keep Joe Cacho's number and give him
a call next year to see if he can beat what I have.

Thanks for the info.

john hauck
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Reply with quote

Much of the tail dragger insurance premium comes from the hull value you place on your aircraft. When we were flying a Rans S6 tail dragger, we were paying $1800/yr (3 pilots, all private or higher and lots of tail wheel time) for $40k hull and liability. That seemed high to me (AIG) but it was the best deal we found at the time we bought it. When we owned an Allegro with hull value of $50k, we were paying $1200/yr for hull and liability. The tail dragger premiums are a LOT higher than tricycles.

Now that I own my Slingshot without partners, I'm self-insured for the hull and have liability insurance from USUA for which I pay about $386/yr plus the $30/yr USUA membership.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Now that I own my Slingshot without partners, I'm self-insured for the hull
and have liability insurance from USUA for which I pay about $386/yr plus
the $30/yr USUA membership.

--------
Thom Riddle
Thom R/Gang:

I'm paying 300.00 for a million dollars liability with Falcon.

They have my MKIII listed as an LSA, although it is registered as
homebuilt/experimental. Don't know whether that would afftect my premiums
or not. Need to check on that.

john hauck
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Reply with quote

John,

When I shopped for insurance recently for the Slingshot, Falcon quoted me $600 for liability ONLY and discounted that to $300 if I bought any hull insurance, even "not-in-flight" insurance. They quoted me $800/yr for liability and not-in-flight hull insurance which would cover damages to my aircraft while taxiing or when in hangar or tied down but not during take-off, landing or in flight. So, the $300 you are paying for liability is only available at that price as part of a hull insurance package, at least that is what they told me this time and several times in the past when I had insurance with them.

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

So, the $300 you are paying for liability is only available at that price
as part of a hull insurance package, at least that is what they told me this
time and several times in the past when I had insurance with them.

--------
Thom Riddle

Thom R/Gang:

Makes sense.

john hauck
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: