Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Both Selector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Fuel Both Selector Reply with quote

Terry,
I've had no airborne problems using a both position on my RV-8A.  The tanks feed evenly. I occasionally feed slightly more from the right tank than the left and I believe that is due to flying with the ball out of center. I'm going to do skidding flight tests to verify that theory.
On the ground, if the selector is left in both, the tanks will feed from fullest tank to emptiest until they are equal.
When building, the cost of the fuel selector was the same with or without both position. I decided I could always fall back to using Left-Right if the both selection did not work well. It does work well.
Regards,
Stan Sutterfield
Quote:
Isn't there a cross-feed problem with a 'both' fuel selector on a low wing
plane like an RV? Did you find a way to deal with that?
Terry

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
altoq(at)cebridge.net

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Fuel Both Selector Reply with quote

If a tank runs low enough that it will suck air, that’s what you get, air. No matter how much fuel is in the other tank( s ), unless gravity is helpin' out.
John D

DO NOT ARCHIVE

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel Both Selector Reply with quote

John,
What happens (ops tested) is when the both position is selected and one tank runs dry, air is drawn into the line and since air is easier to pump than fuel, the engine will falter. Selecting the tank with fuel remaining restores power immediately.
Gravity feed does not matter since the electric pump is creating suction and you are switching from the both position to one tank. Then one is feeding fuel just as any RV that does not have a both position, that is, selecting left or right tank. It is the same as if one ran one tank dry and switched to the other.
I've ops checked it.
Stan Sutterfield
Quote:
If a tank runs low enough that it will suck air, that's what you get,
air. No matter how much fuel is in the other tank( s ), unless gravity
is helpin' out.
John D

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: