Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I replaced most of my fuel lines with black automotive fuel lines but retained some clear lines where I feel it is necessary. One is used a fuel level sight tube, a short section going into my carbs to view fuel flow during carb priming, and one between the aux tank and the main tanks. The clear lines normally get replaced about every two years when they start to yellow. I also had a few short pieces of blue fuel line seems like they were labeled Air Wolf or something like that. Any way on preflight I noticed a fuel line hanging disconnected behind the seats. On further inspection I found the blue line had broken clean off one of the nylon tee fittings right at the end of the fitting. The fuel line still LOOKS fine and is still the original color and flexible.
When I was fixing the break another section of this of this blue fuel line attached to the other side of the tee broke off in my hands!!!!

This fuel line is maybe four years old and is in the back of the fuselage in a location that doesn't get any sun light on it so it wouldn't be caused by UV rays. I'm a bit surprised at my self that I hadn't replaced all the blue fuel line before this but???? Any way I will be removing ALL that blue crap before I fly again.

Please inspect or replace any of the blue Air Wolf fuel line that you may have in your airplanes.

Rick Neilsen
1st Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC 
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I quit using plastic fuel line many years ago.

Plastic line works great on lawn mowers, but not worth a damn on airplanes.

The standard answer for plastic fuel line use is to see the fuel inside the line????

I use high grade black neoprene fuel line. Last many years and does not fall off the fittings.

john h
mkIII
[quote]

Please inspect or replace any of the blue Air Wolf fuel line that you may have in your airplanes.

Rick Neilsen

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
Dana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

At 10:06 AM 6/15/2010, Richard Neilsen wrote:
Quote:
...I also had a few short pieces of blue fuel line seems like they were labeled Air Wolf or something like that. Any way on preflight I noticed a fuel line hanging disconnected behind the seats. On further inspection I found the blue line had broken clean off...
Please inspect or replace any of the blue Air Wolf fuel line that you may have in your airplanes...

I know John and some others don't like the clear fuel line, but I do.

However, the blue line that Aircraft Spruce sells (which they list as "Bing alcohol resistant fuel line") is clearly not the same as the blue line that Airwolf sells. I have purchased both, and they're visibly different. The ACS stuff is darker colored, firmer, and seems to hold up better. Either way, i replace all plastic fuel lines once a year when I do my annual maintenance and inspection.

I also have some of the yellow Tygon as a sight gauge, but only because the blue line isn't available in the required size (5/16" ID).

-Dana

--
I don't trust a government I can't shoot back at. [quote][b]

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Quote:
...I also had a few short pieces of blue fuel line seems like they were labeled Air Wolf or something like that. Any way on preflight I noticed a fuel line hanging disconnected behind the seats. On further inspection I found the blue line had broken clean off...
Please inspect or replace any of the blue Air Wolf fuel line that you may have in your airplanes...

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i used the fuel line that came with the kit,,,, bought some more plastic line from the local bike/snowmobile shop. the bike shop stuff went hard and brittle. and the original stuff stayed soft,,,,,,, BUT i could not keep it from leaking. i was using the black plastic clamps that attach with a pair of pliers, when i used the faucet pump (4psi) they leaked past the tube and fitting where the clamps had the overlap joint. guess i never checked for leaks with just the mechanical pump of the 912. it should have been near the same pressure as the faucet pump. i started looking for leaks when the carbs started staining.

replaced with black fuel line from napa had no problems since. if i were worried i would put in a low pressure switch and wire it to the panel.

boyd young

[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

At 01:55 PM 6/15/2010, b young wrote:
..i could not keep it from leaking. i was using the black plastic clamps that attach with a pair of pliers...

I would blame those clamps before the tubing... those things never seemed remotely safe to me.

I use safety wire instead of hose clamps.

-Dana
--
Of all the forces in the world, only the Federal Government has enough power left to destroy America. [quote][b]

Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Richard Neilsen wrote:
<< A couple of years ago I replaced most of my fuel lines with black
automotive
fuel lines but retained some clear lines where I feel it is necessary.
.. removing ALL that blue
Air Wolf fuel line that you may have in your airplanes. >>

Rick - thanks for the tip on inferior fuel lines.

Like you, I also replaced all my fuel lines with black automotive
neoprene fuel lines, except for a few short runs (for visual reference),
exactly as you described. Am using clear tygothane in those areas.
Fortunately, on my plane, all the clear line used in my fuel circuit
(probably 12-14 inches, total) are above the tanks and clearly visible.
Easy to grab & jiggle each one on the preflight.

Will keep an extra eye on those sections of my fuel line after hearing
your story.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul
Sandia Park, NM
do not archive

smlplanet(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I don't know what experience you have had with the automotive black fuel lines. I have and several others found that if your using a gas and oil mixture that in time you will find small pieces of rubber in your fuel filter. We have gone to the marine fuel lines as they are designed to be used with and gas and oil mixture. Other than a couple clear lines to see a visual flow the rest are all the marine grade fuel lines. The black automotive fuel lines you can not see when they are deterioration on the inside until it is to later. 

[quote] Subject: Re: Fuel Lines
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:36:17 -0600
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/EN" <Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.af.mil>

Richard Neilsen wrote:
<< A couple of years ago I replaced most of my fuel lines with black
automotive
fuel lines but retained some clear lines where I feel it is necessary.
.. removing ALL that blue
Air Wolf fuel line that you may have in your airplanes. >>

Rick - thanks for the tip on inferior fuel lines.

Like you, I also replaced all my fuel lines with black automotive
neoprene fuel lines, except for a few short runs (for visual reference),
exactly as you described. Am using clear tygothane in those areas.
Fortunately, on my plane, all the clear line used in my fuel circuit
(probably 12-14 inches, total) are above the tanks and clearly visible.
Easy to grab & jiggle each one on the preflight.

Will keep an extra eye on those sections of my fuel line after hearing
your story.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul
Sandia Park, NM
do not archive
=================

Quote:
[b]

zharvey(at)bentoncountyca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I've had the same experience with the black fuel lines deteriorating when used with a fuel/oil mixture. I won't use them but use the clear urethane fuel line and do a complete replacement every year at condition inspection. Over 500 2 stroke hours without any issues. If I were running the oil injection, then I would use the black fuel lines.
These comments are not intended to indicate that this is the the only way to do things, but only to pass on what has worked for me.
Gene in Beautiful Tennessee
N71RB Fire Star KXP
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: