Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fluttering control surfaces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

Quote:
My experience to kill aileron flutter:

john h
mkIII

(subject line changed to reflect the proper discussion)

Hey John,

On the subject of flutter, do you have elevator balance? Have you ever experienced elevator flutter in any way? Plus, same thing for rudder, any fluttering or looseness?

Mike Welch

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

For some reason those big ole elevators have not been a problem.

However, many Kolbs of all models seem to experience rudder flutter.

Normally, rudder flutter starts very subtly, barely noticeable, until one looks at the wing tip and sees it shuffling fore and aft. It can and will get violent if allowed to progress. Normal preventive procedure is keep feet on the rudder pedals with a little pressure.

I have my own theory of why, and how to fix, but will not go into it now, typing with two fingers.

john h
mkIII
[quote] On the subject of flutter, do you have elevator balance? Have you ever experienced elevator flutter in any way? Plus, same thing for rudder, any fluttering or looseness?

Mike Welch

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
David Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

Greg, Whilst not (yet) being a Kolb owner/flyer, I would suggest you take this 'flutter' problem real, real seriously. Flutter can lead to structural failure, and not just of the aileron but of the whole wing ! That's going to really spoil your day ! There are plenty of videos on YouTube that demonstrate how quickly it can escalate and it doesn't take much imagination to see the potential consequences. If it were mine, I'd get those control surfaces balanced so that any flutter potential is way outside your flight envelope. David.

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

As John says, the only way to stop the rudder from fluttering is to keep your feet on the pedals - or build yourself a counterweight for the rudder similar to what Kolb sells for the ailerons.
Here's mine - takes a LOT of weight to balance that big ol' rudder. Especially if you stick the rear nav light on it - which I would put somewhere else if I had to do it over.

Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Rudderbalance.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.74 KB
 Viewed:  5757 Time(s)

Rudderbalance.jpg

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

> As John says, the only way to stop the rudder from fluttering is to keep
your feet on the pedals - or build yourself a counterweight for the rudder
similar to what Kolb sells for the ailerons.
> Richard Pike
Hi Richard/Folks:

Nope. Keeping feet on pedals and counterbalance weight is not the only way
to cure rudder flutter.

I said I wasn't going to explain how I corrected my rudder flutter problem
because I am still typing with two fingers until the bone heals in my right
hand, and it takes me 90 forevers to knock out a short email.

Rather than use an oversize counterbalance weight, my fix is clean and
simple, and allows me to fly my mkIII with feet on the deck and off the
rudder pedals if I wish, and I do quite often on long cross country flights
when I get tired and/or uncomfortable.

I use two rudder peddle springs on each pedal. This effectively does the
same thing that additional foot pressure does to prevent rudder flutter.
Quick, cheap, and clean.

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
rlaird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

John --

You need to buy Dragon Naturally Speaking, and then you can just talk to your computer and have it type for you. Smile

-- Robert
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:03 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]   I have my own theory of why, and how to fix, but will not go into it now, typing with two fingers.

[b]

current: Autogyro Cavalon w/ 914ULS
Houston, TX area
http://www.Texas-Flyer.com
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

Robert:

That would be cool, but the Yankees on the Kolb List would have a difficult time interpreting my Alabamanese...

You guys would get Hauck overload with all that capacity for words. Wink

john h
mkIII
[quote] ---

Titus, Alabama
gtaylor35918(at)roadrunne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

I am going to be making me some counter balances, but the only time I had
the issue was on my first go around the patch, and was on base and I let my
air speed get to high. I flew around the patch several more times after that
and had no problems, as long as I keep my airspeed in check the aileron
flutter is not a problem.
Thanks Greg
---

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: fluttering control surfaces Reply with quote

Greg, I felt the same way. Between laziness and .... well laziness was it I guess. Then I went on a long leg tour with a FS and an Escapade to a guy's
camp in southern NYS. Good ride down but got caught up in strong rollers from the big hills. Airspeed becomes something you can't control.
90 one minute followed by 40. I had serious flutter and was happy to make it to a flat valley where things became normal again.
The balancers have kept me happy since.
BB

On 23, Jun 2010, at 5:36 PM, gtaylor wrote:

[quote]

I am going to be making me some counter balances, but the only time I had the issue was on my first go around the patch, and was on base and I let my air speed get to high. I flew around the patch several more times after that and had no problems, as long as I keep my airspeed in check the aileron flutter is not a problem.
Thanks Greg
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: