Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

582 Water temps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitfox555(at)sbcglobal.ne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: 582 Water temps Reply with quote

What water temps are other 582 Gary heads running on hot days ? Today was 90 or so and I run 178-180 at cruse 185 climbing . Can anyone in hot area's tell me what they run on water temps? On cooler day mine runs at 170

Jerry Evans
KitfoxII
Magalia Calif.
N582'er'
Kitfox 555
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
gebuchanan(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: 582 Water temps Reply with quote

At 01:26 PM 6/26/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
What water temps are other 582 Gary heads running on hot days ? Today was 90 or so and I run 178-180 at cruse 185 climbing . Can anyone in hot area's tell me what they run on water temps? On cooler day mine runs at 170

Jerry,
Unfortunately what temp your 582 runs is more a function of your cooling system than anything else. Here in San Diego I anywhere between 140 (thermostat opening) right up to 180. I never run over 180, which has lead to some fairly "comical" departure procedures. Once out of Fresno with 115F on the ground it took me about 15 miles to nurse my poor Kitfox to 1000' AGL, running the water temp right at 180F. Once I got up above the ground the temp cooled a bit and I was able to climb more aggressively. When I put my machine together I had to drop the radiator 1" to keep temps below 180F on the ground. I find that ground operations dictate water temps more than flight. I'm good to probably only about 95F on the ground. I get away with higher temperatures by running high RPM's for better cooling and by shutting down the engine whenever I can, such as when holding for inbound traffic.
In the air, when temps are in the normal 60's and 70's my engine runs right at 140F. I really need to put in the 160F thermostat that many people run.

Guy Buchanan
Troop 680 Scoutmaster
(760) 809-6145

www.troop680.org [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

akflyer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 582 Water temps Reply with quote

I had the same issues on my Avid when it had the in cowl radiators. I took off once last summer and it took me 45 miles of shore line before I was able to get over 5000' to cross the open water. It was about 85 OAT that day. Once I got above 4000 and the OAT went down to the mid 50s I was able to open it up and climb normal. Till then I had to nurse it along at 55-5600 RPM and temps were running between 180 and 210.

I put on the belly mount radiator and have never had them go over 180. Most of the time I have part of the radiator blocked off with foil tape so it will stay up at 160 in cruise. I am running a 160 thermostat (the nasty one from NAPA that only costs 8 bucks).

Avid "C" / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die....
brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: 582 Water temps Reply with quote

Hay about the thermostat, what is that napa # and while im asking how about the cheeper carb sockets anyone have a sours for them?i am getting the black plug caps for 4$ but could use some plug wire if anyone has a sourse for that i would realy appreciate it i get some stuf from
Will  Wayne he has a ebay store listed under rotax ultralight but he cant cary every thing mostly gaskit kits and pistons mal

Malcolm Brubaker
Michigan Sport
Pilot Repair
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
(989)513-3022

To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Wed, June 30, 2010 11:24:28 AM
Subject: Re: 582 Water temps

--> Kitfox-List message posted by: "akflyer" <akflyer_2000(at)yahoo.com (akflyer_2000(at)yahoo.com)>

I had the same issues on my Avid when it had the in cowl radiators. I took off once last summer and it took me 45 miles of shore line before I was able to get over 5000' to cross the open water. It was about 85 OAT that day. Once I got above 4000 and the OAT went down to the mid 50s I was able to open it up and climb normal. Till then I had to nurse it along at 55-5600 RPM and temps were running between 180 and 210.

I put on the belly mount radiator and have never had them go over 180. Most of the time I have part of the radiator blocked off with foil tape so it will stay up at 160 in cruise. I am running a 160 thermostat (the nasty one from NAPA that only costs 8 bucks).

--------
DO NOT ARCHIVE
Leonard Perry aka SNAKE
Soldotna AK
Avid &quot;C&quot; / Mk IV
582 (147 hrs and counting on the rebuild)
IVO IFA
Full Lotus 1450
#1 snake oil salesman since 1-22-2009

I would rather die trying to live, than to live trying not to die...

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=303116#303116

[quote][b]

gebuchanan(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: 582 Water temps Reply with quote

At 06:02 PM 6/30/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
Hay about the thermostat, what is that napa #

An archive search showed OMC 3853799 for a part number. Couldn't find
a NAPA number.

Quote:
and while im asking how about the cheeper carb sockets anyone have
a sours for them?i am getting the black plug caps for 4$ but could
use some plug wire if anyone has a sourse for that i would realy
appreciate it i get some stuf from

Carb sockets are at: jbmindustries.com
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 500 hrs. and counting

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: 582 Water temps Reply with quote

The NAPA number that we have been using (#18-3670) is a good number and
crosses to the above OMC thermostat. However, it's not a NAPA number but a
Sierra number. Turns out that Sierra is a company that puts out
"aftermarket" marine parts. The part number still works at NAPA.
Deke

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: