Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

water temps for a 582

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malpass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: water temps for a 582 Reply with quote

Interesting that the recent conversation about water temps on 582's applies to me as after this weekend, I had a flight at about 7:00 PM in the afternoon with OAT being about 78 degrees with low humidity (rare for July the 4th in Atlanta area).

I noticed that during my taxi out to the runway with rpm's about 3400, my water temp hit 180 degrees and stayed there. Normally my taxi out runs about 145-150 even on a hot day. I was concerned, as I did a runup the temp stayed about 180. The run up would vary slightly plus or minus about 3 or 4 degrees during throttle changes. I decided to takeoff due to the security of 6000 feet of runway. The temp stayed at about 180 thru out the complete pattern, even coasting on the downwind/base leg.

On the ground, and after shut down, and waiting about 30 mins., cranking back up indicated an expected lower temp, so I think the gauge definitely works.

A visual inspection indicates no problems, and there is plenty of water/antifreeze. There has been no change in what I have done maintenance wise for quite a few hours, so the conditions have been the same.

The 582 is gray-head, and has never shown signs of water/oil pump leakage, for what that is worth.

Does this sound like a t-stat? or worse, a water pump issue?

Suggestions would be appreciated........

Bill Malpass - Marietta, Ga
3-blade IVO
rotax 582 at 580 hrs

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: water temps for a 582 Reply with quote

At 12:21 PM 7/5/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
Does this sound like a t-stat? or worse, a water pump issue?

Most likely a thermostat. I've had a couple fail. Easy enough to check.
Guy Buchanan
San Diego, CA
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 500 hrs. and counting

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

mikeperkins

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: water temps for a 582 Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Guy is right that the problem is likely to be a sensor or gauge. I take out the sensor and use a pot of boiling water to check it. Adding different concentrations of antifreeze can raise the boiling point to get more calibration points.

My coolant temps (532) vary with air temp quite a bit. If it's 40 OAT, then I can't get the coolant above 140 until after take-off. At 90 OAT, I'll see 200, and I've seen 220 sometimes.

I had the first thermostat come apart inside the engine. The temp seemed to be higher than usual. The u-shaped frame had separated from the metal ring where it's spotwelded or crimped and the valve gate was jammed partway closed because it had gotten sideways. Fortunately all the little parts were still intact and I didn't have to go fishing.

Mike Perkins

Mnflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: water temps for a 582 Reply with quote

More than likely the cooling system air locked this was one of the problems with the gray head engines, this was one of the main things the blue head addressed. Had this happen on mine a couple of time and it cleared itself every time and never had any other problems. This generally happens if the engine has not been run for a time.

mikeperkins

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: water temps for a 582 Reply with quote

I am very glad you reminded me - forgot about that. I had air in my engine's head, and it wound up with a steam pocket that grew. I returned to the field immediately. By the time I'd gotten to the hanger, half of the coolant had steamed overboard. I'd bled the system just an hour before, but there must have been another air pocket somewhere that wound up in the head.

Bleeding the system involves tipping the nose down (by lifting the tail) until coolant starts filling the head vent hose. Then the vent hose is connected to the fitting on the coolant fill neck.

- Mike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: