Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mark III C landing gear replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Simmons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Mark III C landing gear replacement Reply with quote

I finally got the Kolb Mark III ready to fly. Before I did the taxi test I noticed the wheels were slightly canted in at the top. As I had never flown a Mark IIIC before, I thought this was normal. I taxied around for about 15 to 20 minutes and got the tail flying 4 times; main wheels never left the ground. When I got back to the hanger I did a post flight inspection on the aircraft and the first thing I noticed was the wheels were very noticeably canted in at the top about 15 degrees. It is obvious that the previous owner dropped the aircraft in for a hard landing and attempted to straighten the axles. Anyway, I have ordered a new set of landing gears from Travis at the Kolb Company. My plans do not have instructions for replacing the landing gear. Does anyone have any advice or instruction on how to replace the landing gear on the Mark III C?
I know it has one bolt that goes through the main tube in the bottom of the cage and the new legs do not have the holes drilled. M y problem is how to index the gear and drill the holes properly.
Steve Simmons
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Mark III C landing gear replacement Reply with quote

Steve, aluminum legs or steel?

Fly it with what's on it first. Then the new ones will stay straight longer Smile
If the "bent" legs are aluminum and you are replacing them with the same, all the final alignment is done at the axle socket.
You will need a string line (or chalk) to determine straight ahead then two parallel lines at the wheel width splitting the difference
to the front. Tail boom for guide.
Most builders, myself included, put in a little toe-in. Perfectly parallel is ok. This is not a race car.
The stock aluminum legs get the alignment adjusted by rotating the axle socket. Doesn't take much to change a lot.
BB

On 15, Jul 2010, at 8:06 PM, Steve Simmons wrote:
Quote:
I finally got the Kolb Mark III ready to fly. Before I did the taxi test I noticed the wheels were slightly canted in at the top. As I had never flown a Mark IIIC before, I thought this was normal. I taxied around for about 15 to 20 minutes and got the tail flying 4 times; main wheels never left the ground. When I got back to the hanger I did a post flight inspection on the aircraft and the first thing I noticed was the wheels were very noticeably canted in at the top about 15 degrees. It is obvious that the previous owner dropped the aircraft in for a hard landing and attempted to straighten the axles. Anyway, I have ordered a new set of landing gears from Travis at the Kolb Company. My plans do not have instructions for replacing the landing gear. Does anyone have any advice or instruction on how to replace the landing gear on the Mark III C?
I know it has one bolt that goes through the main tube in the bottom of the cage and the new legs do not have the holes drilled. M y problem is how to index the gear and drill the holes properly.
Steve Simmons

Quote:

style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://forums.matronics.com
style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline; ">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Richard Pike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mark III C landing gear replacement Reply with quote

It is easier than you can imagine. Go to Lowes, and buy a long bronze grounding rod, it is the same diameter as your axles. Jack up the fuselage so that the landing gear is off the ground, do it by placing something under the fuselage, not under the gear. Remove the old gear, insert the new landing gear legs with the lower gear leg fittings already attached to the new legs, minus the axles and wheels, etc. Force the bronze rod through the axle tubes. It will take quite a bit of bending into a curve, and will require lubricant and a rubber hammer, but it will go. The axles will now be perfectly aligned. Mark the holes on the legs. Take the legs to a friends house who has a drill press. Drill the holes, put it all back together. That's how I did it back in '95, and it still tracks as straight as a string.

Now take the bronze rod back to Lowes, tell them (something) and get a refund. Or you can do what I did, I still have my bronze rod hanging on the garage wall, with the Lowe's receipt rubber banded to it. Some day my kids can deal with it...
Richard Pike
MKIII N420P (420ldPoops)

Steve Simmons

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Mark III C landing gear replacement Reply with quote

Thanks you are right, it does sound simple. However I do have one last
question, what is the proper way to jack up the aircraft without damaging
the fabric on the bottom of the cage?

--

by0ung(at)brigham.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Mark III C landing gear replacement Reply with quote

Force the bronze rod through the axle tubes. It will take quite a bit of bending into a curve, and will require lubricant and a rubber hammer, but it will go. The axles will now be perfectly aligned. Mark the holes on the legs. Take the legs to a friends house who has a drill press. Drill the holes, put it all back together. That's how I did it back in '95, and it still tracks as straight as a string.
Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

or a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe (5/8 od) and instead of bowing the pipe, i cut it in half and yd used some duct tape to hold the ends together while marking the hole. slid in easy.
boyd mkiii

[quote][b]

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Mark III C landing gear replacement Reply with quote

Steve,

I've attached a couple of pictures of me adjusting my axles.  I made little wooden jackstands, with cushioning on top.  There is a tube that runs between the axle sockets, and you want to catch just enough of it on each side for a secure mount......no fabric damage.

I had some chromoly tubing left over from my frame modification.  I think it was 5/8", but I can't recall exactly, in it worked great.
  After you center the tubes (by measuring how much is slid in each axle tube), you can see whether the axles are toe-in, toe-out, or straight.
  Once you get everything lined up where you want it, drill through the upper part of the axle and the axle tube.

Mike Welch
MkIII

Quote:
Thanks you are right, it does sound simple. However I do have one last
question, what is the proper way to jack up the aircraft without damaging
the fabric on the bottom of the cage?
The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.

lining_up_axle_sleeves_001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.49 KB
 Viewed:  4883 Time(s)

lining_up_axle_sleeves_001.jpg

lining_up_axle_sleeves_002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.75 KB
 Viewed:  4883 Time(s)

lining_up_axle_sleeves_002.jpg

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Mark III C landing gear replacement Reply with quote

One other thing my may want to consider after following Richard's advice.
That is to load the plane with the average amount of fuel you will be
carrying and pilot and passenger load too. Then roll the plane backwards
and forwards on a hard level surface to seat the gear. Then check to see if
you have the desired camber and toe-in, If not, you may need to do a little
bending.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN
At 08:39 PM 7/15/10 -0700, you wrote:
Quote:

It is easier than you can imagine. Go to Lowes, and buy a long bronze
grounding rod, it is the same diameter as your axles. Jack up the fuselage

so that the landing gear is off the ground, do it by placing something under
the fuselage, not under the gear. Remove the old gear, insert the new
landing gear legs with the lower gear leg fittings already attached to the
new legs, minus the axles and wheels, etc. Force the bronze rod through the
axle tubes. It will take quite a bit of bending into a curve, and will
require lubricant and a rubber hammer, but it will go. The axles will now be
perfectly aligned. Mark the holes on the legs. Take the legs to a friends
house who has a drill press. Drill the holes, put it all back together.
That's how I did it back in '95, and it still tracks as straight as a
string.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: