Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nube question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Nube question Reply with quote

Hey! Suppose I had an early Firestar. Suppose I had no engine, so I lashed
on my Zenoah 242cc G25-B, rated at either 22, 24, 26 hp (depending on state
of tune and whim of rater) with 2.5:1 reduction turning a 54x28 2-blade
wooden Arrow prop. Do you suppose a 200 lb feller could get off the ground
with this setup? If so.. what kinda performance should he expect?

Thanks
GeoB

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

"Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors"
flykolb(at)pa.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Nube question Reply with quote

GeoB,

If want a lighter engine, I would look for a Rotax 277, it has about 5 more
hp than the Zenoah which is actually 22 HP I think. (I presume wanting a
legal UL is the reason for the smaller engine.) We flew a FS with a 277 and
it did ok ... as I recall it had about 700 fpm climb on a good day; less on
other days. It think you would be disappointed with a Zenoah, but you need
to determine what your climb requirements are. We had the 277 on a KXP; if
you have an early FS with 5 rib wing, etc., and it is lightly built with not
too many weight adding options, you'll probably do a little better than we
did with the KXP.

Dennis

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

GeoB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nube question Reply with quote

>If want a lighter engine, I would look for a Rotax 277

OK.. the deal here is that I am not a pilot. I don't know diddly about tail-draggers. I have had a few lessons in tricycle gear planes. I am *playing* with the idea of using a Generac engine on this plane. Generac is not quite ready yet. I might sell the existing 503 for funds, though it is a fairly remote possibility. Positing such an action, I wondered if I could install one of my Zenoahs just to learn ground handling of the tail-dragger. Which led me to try to imagine what would happen if I was doing crow-hops or fast taxiing and ran out of runway. Would the Zenoah have enough power to do a gentle go-around, or should I just crash into the woods for a fiery screaming death?

"Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors"
GeoB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Nube question Reply with quote

> more hp than the Zenoah which is actually 22 HP I think.

I have read various hp ratings. I have two different size carbs which were used on this engine right from the factory... a Mikuni pumper and a reg'ler Mikuni slide-valve. I have a round fat short muffler and pipe, and I also have a tuned pipe (expansion chamber) with a rudimentary muffler on the end. I assume that the hp is not the same between all the models because of the various stock equipment like this.

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Nube question Reply with quote

get a bigger runway or saw the trees down. Smile
BB

On 15, Jul 2010, at 2:56 PM, GeoB wrote:

Quote:

> If want a lighter engine, I would look for a Rotax 277

OK.. the deal here is that I am not a pilot. I don't know diddly about tail-draggers. I have had a few lessons in tricycle gear planes. I am *playing* with the idea of using a Generac engine on this plane. Generac is not quite ready yet. I might sell the existing 503 for funds, though it is a fairly remote possibility. Positing such an action, I wondered if I could install one of my Zenoahs just to learn ground handling of the tail-dragger. Which led me to try to imagine what would happen if I was doing crow-hops or fast taxiing and ran out of runway. Would the Zenoah have enough power to do a gentle go-around, or should I just crash into the woods for a fiery screaming death?

--------
GeoB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=304959#304959

Dana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Nube question Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------
"GeoB" <gab16(at)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
(15/07/2010 14:56)

Quote:

Doesn't the Generac weigh as much as the 503?
Learning to ground handle a taildragger isn't a big deal; certainly
not worth putting an undersize engine on. And an undersized engine is
asking for trouble if you do get airborne.

-Dana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: