Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take off trim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasb(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Take off trim Reply with quote

I have a 6A with a constant speed prop. Solo, I set the elevator trim about three clicks nose down from neutral for take off. It makes the stick a bit nose heavy at nosewheel lift off, but completely manageable. The stick forces become neutral very quickly after lift off and as I accelerate past 100 KIAS it takes even more nose down trim to keep the stick forces neutral. With a pax, I usually position the elevator trim to neutral; however, I find that I must start trimming the nose down pretty quickly after lift off to keep the stick forces neutral.
I've intentionally flown my bird with full up and full down elevator trim at both slow and high speeds. Regardless, full trim produces an uncomfortable amount of stick force, but is completely and easily controllable at all speed ranges. I wouldn't want to fly long distances with full up or down trim, but it could easily and safely be done. I've also found that full up or down elevator trim makes not a bit of difference in take off performance, and the nose is easily held at the right climb angle regardless of stick force.
Charlie Brame
RV-6A N11CB
San Antonio
------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Time: 09:54:23 AM PST US
Subject: take off elevator trim
From: thomas sargent <sarg314(at)gmail.com (sarg314(at)gmail.com)>

I just did my dual training in an rv-7A with a constant speed prop and am
about to fly my RV-6A with a fixed pitch Catto prop. The take offs in these
things have amazing acceleration.

With the constant speed plane I tended to always lift the nose too high and
had to ease it down. I guess I had the stick back too far and it starts to
be effective all at once so the nose would lift real fast. In retrospect it
occurs to me that perhaps the take off elevator trim was set too nose
heavy. How should the trim be set for take off? Should the tab be just in
trail with the elevator?

--
Tom Sargent

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: