Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Saturday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickofudall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Last Saturday Reply with quote

After a fairly good night I got up at 5 am on Saturday morning and launched the minute the clock showed it was dawn to fly down to Ponca City, OK for the Aviation Booster Club monthly breakfast. At 2000' AGL it was wonderfully cool and calm at that hour of the morning. I was almost the first one there and got the front row parking right next to the taxi way. Had a great breakfast and was just shoveling the first bite of eggs into my mouth when the P-51, "Miss America" taxied by. About five minutes later her owner and mechanic sat down at my table. They were up from Oklahoma City exercising the new racing Merlin engine they had just put in for the Reno Air Races. Nice to know how the other half lives.  And Zulu Delta made the papers. I've attached the Booster Club's newsletter.
Rick

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

pcabc-news1008.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  pcabc-news1008.pdf
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Downloaded:  1463 Time(s)

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Last Saturday Reply with quote

P-51, "Miss America"

Hi Rick,
I flew the P51 Crazy Horse for an hour at Kissimmee some years ago
Really makes you feel like a real pilot with that Merlin roaring along in front .

As you say `How the other half lives` I think that I had a rush of money to my head that day but I have never regretted a penny (or a dollar) of it. The high spot of my flying.

I have flown a T6, got my backside into a Hurricane, taxied in a Lancaster, only the Spitfire to go (Some hopes)

Cheers

Pat
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rickofudall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Last Saturday Reply with quote

I was tired when I told the story so I didn't tell it all. As the Newsletter said "Miss America" is owned by Dr. Brent Hisey. A real nice guy who answered my questions and seemed to enjoy all the attention his airplane gets. When I was in high school, back in the neolithic, I worked as a line boy for a startup flying club at Fullerton, CA (KFUL) in exchange for flying time. As soon as I was signed off for personal solo, I was eligible to ferry club aircraft from Fullerton to Long Beach for maintenance checks. It was a different world then, is all I can say. 
At Long Beach (KLGB), near the Douglas plant, sat a P-51, Miss America. Yep, it was the same plane. Now keep in mind, even as late as 1968 you could buy a P-51 in Southern California for $10,000. You could pretty much have your pick and it wasn't unusual to see a tired P-51 sitting in the weeds, tires flat, and paint fading at some podunk airport. 
Brent confirmed it was the same airplane. It apparently got moved to Santa Monica (KSMO) sometime after that where it sat, derelict, until the mid 70's. My friend, Larry, remembers it there from when he was a kid (he was at KPNC last Saturday, too.) It had the Cox logo (the model airplane company) on it then. 
Along about that time somebody took pity on it and had it restored to flying condition. Brent didn't say who that was, but he bought the airplane from them in 1993 and has owned it since. 
As we were talking I'm sure my mouth fell further and further open. Finally I stammered that it had been 42 years since I had seen "Miss America" and she was more beautiful than I remembered her, which made Brent smile just a bit. 
I feel so old......
Attached is a picture that I took of her last Saturday.
Rick

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Pat Ladd <pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com (pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com)> wrote:
Quote:
 P-51, "Miss America"

Hi Rick,
I flew the P51 Crazy Horse for an hour at Kissimmee some years ago
Really  makes you feel like a real pilot with that  Merlin roaring along in front .

As you say `How the other half lives` I think that I had a rush of money to my head that day but I have never regretted a penny (or a dollar) of it. The high spot of my flying. 

I have flown a T6, got my backside into a Hurricane, taxied in a Lancaster, only the Spitfire to go (Some hopes)

Cheers

Pat
Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

Miss_America.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.91 KB
 Viewed:  2144 Time(s)

Miss_America.jpg

Dana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Last Saturday Reply with quote

'Miss America"....

Back in the late 1970's the plane was owned by Howie Keefe. I was a
student at Parks College near St. Louis, working on my Private, when
he flew into the local airport to have his VOR head replaced.
Somewhere there are pictures, taken with my Kodak Brownie camera. The
tower let him make a few low passes on departure.... WOW!

-Dana

do not archive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: