Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

Last year we made the decision to make the 'Connection more utilitarian and accessible by
offering electronic versions. This was not done without some considerations of risk.

In the Internet age, a popular/useful file "released into the wild" may suddenly propagate with
amazing speed. Such is the case with the AeroElectric Connection. The .pdf version has been
picked up on a host of file-sharing services and now enjoys circulation numbers in the tens of
thousands of copies.

There's an obvious down-side. This means that the publication side of the AeroElectric Connection ceases
to be as strong source of revenue. The up-side is that the simple-ideas and recipes for success described
therein enjoy much wider circulation to the benefit of the OBAM aviation community as a whole.

Coincidentally, I have just read a book called "The Future of a Radical Price - Free" wherein
the author describes economic and marketing models that exploit giving certain value away in
order to promote the exchange of other value. This business model has been operating on the
Internet for years and continues to grow . . . which demonstrates its value. Consideration of his
advice combined with previous events cited marks a milestone in my own experiences and
prompts a new modus operandi for the AeroElectric Connection.

Beginning immediately, the printed copy price of the 'Connection will drop to $23 postage
paid (media mail) in the us. $30 overseas (priority mail). Buying the printed book will be
more convenient and probably less expensive than printing 300+ pages on your own printer.
The PDF file has been loaded to the website for download at no charge.

The Revision 13 to the 'Connection will offer a complete update and re-formatting of the book.
Most chapters including the Z-figures will make direct references to a range of products and services
offered by the AeroElectric Connection. There are big plans for expanding our design, manufacturing
and consulting services on behalf of the OBAM aviation community. We will probably bring Appendix C
(catalog and source-book of products) back.

Anyone who has recently purchased a book or CD at current prices who feels short changed by the
price reduction is encouraged to drop us a line. Our warranty offers a guarantee of perceived
value for the lifetime of any product. Drop us a note and we'll make it right with you. All of
our dealers will be getting shipments of additional books equal to 1/2 their present inventory
to adjust their return on investment for having purchased quantities of the book.

Bob . . .
[quote][b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
rickofudall

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

If you don't mind a suggestion. Look at the Rotax model for distributing its engine manuals. They are free, but they are locked. You cannot cut or copy text out of them. If you want to send some significant point to someone, you have to re-type it. I think it assures that  the manuals will not be corrupted either by accident or malicious intent. Just a thought.

Rick Girard

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Last year we made the decision to make the 'Connection more utilitarian and accessible by
offering electronic versions. This was not done without some considerations of risk.

In the Internet age, a popular/useful file "released into the wild" may suddenly propagate with
amazing speed. Such is the case with the AeroElectric Connection. The .pdf version has been
picked up on a host of file-sharing services and now enjoys circulation numbers in the tens of
thousands of copies.

There's an obvious down-side. This means that the publication side of the AeroElectric Connection ceases
to be as strong source of revenue. The up-side is that the simple-ideas and recipes for success described
therein enjoy much wider circulation to the benefit of the OBAM aviation community as a whole.

Coincidentally, I have just read a book called "The Future of a Radical Price - Free" wherein
the author describes economic and marketing models that exploit giving certain value away in
order to promote the exchange of other value.  This business model has been operating on the
Internet for years and continues to grow . . . which demonstrates its value. Consideration of his
advice combined with previous events cited marks a milestone in my own experiences and

Beginning immediately, the printed copy price of the 'Connection will drop to $23 postage
paid (media mail) in the us. $30 overseas (priority mail).  Buying the printed book will be
more convenient  and probably less expensive than printing 300+ pages on your own printer.

The Revision 13 to the 'Connection will offer a complete update and re-formatting of the book.
Most chapters including the Z-figures will make direct references to a range of products and services
offered by the AeroElectric Connection. There are big plans for expanding our design, manufacturing
and consulting services on behalf of the OBAM aviation community. We will probably bring Appendix C

Anyone who has recently purchased a book or CD at current prices who feels short changed by the
price reduction is encouraged to drop us a line. Our warranty offers a guarantee of perceived
value for the lifetime of any product. Drop us a note and we'll make it right with you. All of
our dealers will be getting shipments of additional books equal to 1/2 their present inventory
to adjust their return on investment for having purchased quantities of the book.

Bob . . .
Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Zulu Delta
Kolb Mk IIIC
582 Gray head
4.00 C gearbox
3 blade WD
Thanks, Homer GBYM

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jbr79r(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

Bob
I just wanted to pass on my thanks for all you do for our community. I followed your diagrams and ideas on my Glasair and the electrical has been a non issue for the years I have been flying. Exactly what I wanted. The info and assistance I recieved was worth far more than the cost of your book.
Thanks again
Jim

James Robinson
Glasair lll N79R
Spanish Fork UT U77
From: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sat, August 21, 2010 8:35:25 AM
Subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection

thousands of copies.

order to promote the exchange of other value. This business model has been operating on the

paid (media mail) in the us. $30 overseas (priority mail). Buying the printed book will be
more convenient and probably less expensive than printing 300+ pages on your own printer.

Bob . . .
[quote]
[b]

dave(at)coltnet.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

Bob,

I purchased your book a few years back for 35 dollars. I am currently
updated through rev 12 (I think). I appreciate what you do for the OBAM
community so much that I will probably
buy your new format and rev 13 book just to do my part in helping keep
the revenue stream flowing.

Thanks for everything

Dave

james(at)etravel.org

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

Bob, I bought the book a few years ago, and thought it was
extraordinarily good value. Recently though I've been feeling as
though I've been short-changing you, because I've asked so many
questions recently and you've always answered them with an obvious
amount of time and care.

Could you invite people to donate on a "donation-ware" basis? It's
fairly common in software development -- you give something away for
free and ask good folk to send a donation if they find it useful. It
seems like an equitable way of doing business.

I saw you have a PayPal setup for your online catalogue. Why not
allow people to just randomly send you a few quid when they feel full
of joy after hearing their master contactor clunk for the first time?
Perhaps a page about it in the online version.

Alternatively, presumably anyone could buy an hour's time on your
online system, though that sets the price in stone, and I think that
donation-ware works best when people send what they can afford, or
just what they feel like sending.

FWIW.

James
On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III
<nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:
Quote:

<nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com>

At 11:34 AM 8/21/2010, you wrote:
>
> Bob
> I just wanted to pass on my thanks for all you do for our community.  I
> followed your diagrams and ideas on my Glasair and the electrical has been a
> non issue for the years I have been flying.  Exactly what I wanted.  The
> info and assistance I recieved was worth far more than the cost of your
> book.
> Thanks again

Thank YOU! I'm pleased that the work is
  useful.
 Bob . . .

rv8ch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

Bob,

The connection has been invaluable to me and countless others.

I'm happy that you have embraced the new reality of distribution, and I think it will pay big rewards, no matter how you measure them.

I would like to put in a vote in favor of not trying to lock your document.  It will only frustrate legitimate users, and since there are easily available tools to unlock any kind of "DRM", the people that want to "steal" your work will not in any way be inconvenienced.

I would argue that if someone wants to share a snippet of an idea from your excellent tome by doing a copy/paste from a section of the document, requiring that they retype the text adds negative value to the world, and can also result in problematic typos.

Thanks again for all the help you have provided me in the wiring of my aircraft, and more usefully, understanding electricity!

--
Mickey Coggins
[quote][b]

Speedy11(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

Perceived Value? Then I need to send you another check!
Stan Sutterfield
Quote:
Anyone who has recently purchased a book or CD at current prices who
feels short changed by the
price reduction is encouraged to drop us a line. Our warranty offers
a guarantee of perceived
value for the lifetime of any product. Drop us a note and we'll make
it right with you.

[quote][b]

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

All I can do is offer to return the favor, Bob, if you ever need any machine work for a project, I'd be happy to help. My little Kolb continues to fly along with zero electrical issues. Security like that is absolutely priceless, IMHO.

Rick Girard

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
At 06:23 PM 8/22/2010, you wrote:
Quote:

Perceived Value?  Then I need to send you another check!

No. We made a deal and I'm happy with it.
  If you got more than you bargained for
  then I'm more pleased still.

Bob . . .
                   ////
                  (o o)
   ===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
   < Go ahead, make my day . . .   >
   < show me where I'm wrong.      >
   =================================

Quote:

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Zulu Delta
Kolb Mk IIIC
582 Gray head
4.00 C gearbox
3 blade WD
Thanks, Homer GBYM

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
  - G.K. Chesterton

[quote][b]

rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: New operations model for the AeroElectric Connection Reply with quote

Yes, my old Bridgeport has a DRO, but I just use dial indicators on my lathe when I have to work to better than a thousandth or so.

Rick

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)>

At 10:17 PM 8/22/2010, you wrote:
Quote:
All I can do is offer to return the favor, Bob, if you ever need any machine work for a project, I'd be happy to help.

Do you have a mill with a digital readout?

Quote:
 My little Kolb continues to fly along with zero electrical issues. Security like that is absolutely priceless, IMHO.

Great news!

Bob . . .
                  ////
                 (o o)
  ===========o00o=(_)=o00o=========
  < Go ahead, make my day . . .   >
  < show me where I'm wrong.      >
  =================================

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Zulu Delta
Kolb Mk IIIC
582 Gray head
4.00 C gearbox
3 blade WD
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
 - G.K. Chesterton

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: