Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carb rebuild - Xtra credit question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Carb rebuild - Xtra credit question Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I think this might light another fire, but here goes.

Lucien,
As a retired fireman I have thick skin, extra water and hose to
extinguish those fires. (Thick skin mostly) LOL
Is there a difference between the 200 hr carb inspection and a rebuild?

If so who can do the work, i.e. what Rotax rating is required to do one or either?

Note***
If your are experimental I know you are not required to follow the Rotax regs. but SLSA do and I would recommend from what I have seen come across my bench that you find someone with training. It can save you money down the line.

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
lucien

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Carb rebuild - Xtra credit question Reply with quote

Roger Lee wrote:
Hi Guys,

I think this might light another fire, but here goes.

Lucien,
As a retired fireman I have thick skin, extra water and hose to
extinguish those fires. (Thick skin mostly) LOL
Is there a difference between the 200 hr carb inspection and a rebuild?

If so who can do the work, i.e. what Rotax rating is required to do one or either?

Note***
If your are experimental I know you are not required to follow the Rotax regs. but SLSA do and I would recommend from what I have seen come across my bench that you find someone with training. It can save you money down the line.

Well from looking through what it looks like you're supposed to do in the heavy maint. manual, it looks like the 200 hr check is everything in a rebuild except explicitly replacing the rubbers (i.e. the diaphragm and the float needle... Otherwise, the 200hr and the total rebuilds look almost the same to me ?

As for who can do the work (on an SLSA) my guess is you need the maintenance rating (i.e. what you get after the 120 hour class) to do either one?

And speaking of that, everything from the intake manifolds forward is being zoned on my engine right now. New boots, O-rings and total rebuild on both carbys. And I tell you what, after all this, I'm wanting to go to Rotax school more and more every day... Wink

LS

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb rebuild - Xtra credit question Reply with quote

Hi All,

The answer:

Well this question is a little harder than others that are spelled out well in the manuals. This one isn't as clear cut in black and white print and some Rotax instructors teach it a little differently from what I have seen. The Rotax manual doesn't really state where the 200 hr. inspection ends and where a rebuild starts.

The 200 hr. is not the same as a rebuild. The 200 hr. is just what it says, an inspection only and no parts replacement except maybe the carb socket, floats or diaphragm and those few minor visible parts if necessary. You need only to check the carb socket for cracks, carb diaphragm for splitting, the bowl and the float level. Flush with a carb cleaner for any dirt and do a pressure test. That's it.
That's pretty much all the inspection covers. It does not require all the parts to be replaced.

In a rebuild you replace all the parts internally and the 200 hr. is mainly a look and clean as need be on exposed parts. If you disturb any of the "O" rings they should be replaced and that starts into the carb rebuild side, which Line maint. can't do. The carb rebuild is removing and replacing parts within the carb. We just went over all this with Eric Tucker in the update class. I also just got off the phone with Jeremy McGregor of CPS in California about this and he confirmed with me about both items. We ask why the carb rebuild couldn't be moved to the Line maint. section, but Rotax refuses because carb rebuilds are done so infrequently by individuals that Rotax wants to make sure the people preforming a rebuild has the most current training and continued experience. Yes, you can get in trouble by doing some wrong things to the carb or not doing them.
Bottom line is Line Maint. can do a 200 hr. inspection, but you have to be Heavy Maint. rated to do a carb rebuild.

It would be nice if every instructor were on the same page, but we all know that this doesn't always happen. Sometimes the lines get a little blurred.
I know there are some of the Experimental people that have done carb rebuilds, but this isn't to be done for the SLSA crowd.

Don't shoot the messenger here (no flaming arrows or tracer ammunition) I learned it in school, too.

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: