Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen(at)bimi.org

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

In the matter of the Corvair engine... Weight and prop tip speed are definite negatives on a MKIII. The Great Plains VW conversion with a re-drive from Valley Engineering are a good option. Rick Neilsen has flow his VW re-drive as a pioneer for over ten years. Craig Spoke is happy with his MKIIIX with VW and I am moving toward finishing my MKIIIX using the GPAS VW with re-drive within the next few months. My 2180cc engine develops 103hp (at)4200RPM Take-off power and cruises (at) about 3200 RPM. It has dual ignition. The Kolb facotry is working very seriously toward offering the VW conversion as an engine option.
Just my opinion...
Bob
N830PB

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

VW_Engine_5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.49 KB
 Viewed:  6956 Time(s)

VW_Engine_5.jpg

Kolb_VW_engine.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.55 KB
 Viewed:  6956 Time(s)

Kolb_VW_engine.jpg

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

My 2180cc engine develops 103hp (at)4200RPM Take-off power and cruises (at) about
3200 RPM. It has dual ignition. The Kolb facotry is working very seriously
toward offering the VW conversion as an engine option.
Just my opinion...
Bob
N830PB
Bob G/Gang:

Looks good!

Everytime I look at a VW with your redrive setup I look at the tensioner
pulley. Seems that is probably a critical component. If it fails, the prop
stops producing thrust.

Does the manufacturer give customers a "time life" on that item?

As a side note, hitting the road for the Rock House within the hour. Still
walking with a cane, although I can walk some without it. Looking forward
to seeing a lot of my flying friends on this road trip. I'll be driving the
most direct route from Titus, Al, to Burns Junction, OR. Will take me
through:

Nashville, TN

St Louis, MO

Kansas City, KS

Lincoln, NE

Cheyenne, WY

Brigham City, UT

Boise, ID

Rock House, Burns Junction, OR

Be glad to share a cup of coffee with anyone along the way. I'll be
checking my email regularly, and my cell phone is:

334-315-2621

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
russkinne(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

BON VOYAGE, 'OLD' PAL1
Fair winds to you
Russ

mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.co

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

> Everytime I look at a VW with your redrive setup I look at the tensioner
Quote:
pulley. Seems that is probably a critical component. If it fails, the prop
stops producing thrust.
john h
mkIII

John, and others,

If I'm not mistaken, millions of cars use an idler pulley (for belt tension).
Why would you assume this to be a cause for concern.

If a prop threw a blade, it would stop producing thrust, too.  I know one
that did.

Just curious to know why an idler pulley is a weak point.

Mike Welch
[quote][b]

Dana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

I'm not familiarwith that particular design, but bearings are one
component of modern machinery for which, if properly used, the life
can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy. It shouldn't be any
more failure prone than any other part of the powerplant package.

If it's on the back side of the belt, causing a reverse bend, that
must be accounted for in the belt life, though.

-Dana

--------------------------------------------------
Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com> wrote:
(09/06/2010 11:01)

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, millions of cars use an idler pulley (for belt tension).
Why would you assume this to be a cause for concern.

If a prop threw a blade, it would stop producing thrust, too. I know one
that did.

Just curious to know why an idler pulley is a weak point.

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

Bob/All

The trick is to get those stated RPMs. With my prop/pitch settings I get about 3500RPM full throttle on take off and cruise at 3200. Depending on your prop you may have to compromise on those RPMs. 

Keep us up to date on your progress. I didn't realize you were so far along. Looks great.

To answer John's comment, the tensioner is very robust but does it have a life limit. Unknown? I would guess there are single points of failure on most engines. Rotax certainly has had a lot of experience to show up any problems that the VWs can't compare to. Yet!

Rick Neilsen
1st Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Bob Green <bgreen(at)bimi.org (bgreen(at)bimi.org)> wrote:
[quote]In the matter of the Corvair engine...  Weight and prop tip speed are definite negatives on a MKIII.  The Great Plains VW conversion with a re-drive from Valley Engineering are a good option.  Rick Neilsen has flow his VW re-drive as a pioneer  for over ten years.  Craig Spoke is happy with his MKIIIX with VW and I am moving toward finishing my MKIIIX using the GPAS VW with re-drive within the next few months.  My 2180cc engine develops 103hp (at)4200RPM Take-off power and cruises (at) about 3200 RPM.  It has dual ignition.  The Kolb facotry is working very seriously toward offering the VW conversion as an engine option.
Just my opinion...
Bob
N830PB[b]

rickofudall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

When I put Brute II primary belt drive system on my Shovelhead Harley I was worried enough about the tensioner bearing that I bought a spare and packed it into my road kit just in case. 16 years later it's still in my road kit all safely packed in oiled paper. I once calculated that on average it runs at about 14,000 RPM. Just make your tensioner a maintenance item and check it on preflight. It'll probably outlast you.

Rick Girard

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Richard Neilsen <neilsenrm(at)gmail.com (neilsenrm(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Bob/All

The trick is to get those stated RPMs. With my prop/pitch settings I get about 3500RPM full throttle on take off and cruise at 3200. Depending on your prop you may have to compromise on those RPMs. 

Keep us up to date on your progress. I didn't realize you were so far along. Looks great.

To answer John's comment, the tensioner is very robust but does it have a life limit. Unknown? I would guess there are single points of failure on most engines. Rotax certainly has had a lot of experience to show up any problems that the VWs can't compare to. Yet!

Rick Neilsen
1st Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Bob Green <bgreen(at)bimi.org (bgreen(at)bimi.org)> wrote:
Quote:
In the matter of the Corvair engine...  Weight and prop tip speed are definite negatives on a MKIII.  The Great Plains VW conversion with a re-drive from Valley Engineering are a good option.  Rick Neilsen has flow his VW re-drive as a pioneer  for over ten years.  Craig Spoke is happy with his MKIIIX with VW and I am moving toward finishing my MKIIIX using the GPAS VW with re-drive within the next few months.  My 2180cc engine develops 103hp (at)4200RPM Take-off power and cruises (at) about 3200 RPM.  It has dual ignition.  The Kolb facotry is working very seriously toward offering the VW conversion as an engine option.
Just my opinion...
Bob
N830PB

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Zulu Delta
Kolb Mk IIIC
582 Gray head
4.00 C gearbox
3 blade WD
Thanks, Homer GBYM

It is not bigotry to be certain we are right; but it is bigotry to be unable to imagine how we might possibly have gone wrong.
 - G.K. Chesterton

[quote][b]

cspoke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kolb-List Digest: 13 Msgs - 09/05/10 Reply with quote

Bob, You are correct. I am very pleased with the engine setup on my Kolb. Thanks for posting the pictures of my engine however I have since changed the exhaust. I was not happy with the drag and weight of this exhaust. He new setup is more compact and weighs 10 lbs less.

Kolb engine 1 [640x480].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.07 KB
 Viewed:  6926 Time(s)

Kolb engine 1 [640x480].JPG

Kolb engine 2 [640x480].JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.95 KB
 Viewed:  6926 Time(s)

Kolb engine 2 [640x480].JPG

Lillian, AL
cspoke@mediacombb.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: