Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative Engines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis.Kirby(at)kirtland.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Alternative Engines Reply with quote

(Previous thread name: Corvair install)

<< IF a guy were inclined to go with an alternative engine (a non-Rotax OEM engine) … >>

Kolb Friends –

It’s always interesting to hear the chat about new “alternative” engine ideas – we’ve seen several candidates mentioned over the past few years. Usually, the collective wisdom of this List comes back with advice that suggests that the most reliable engines are ones that have been around for awhile, and have proven themselves in the fleet of already-flying airplanes. Good advice, for sure, but …

There is a new, start-up aircraft engine company called Viking Aircraft Engines that I am very interested in watching how its development goes. They’re developing a new engine aimed at the Light Sport Aircraft market, and the engine is based on a Honda 4-cylinder engine. Has anyone seen these ads in EAA’s Sport Pilot magazine? Claims are 110 hp, from an engine “about the same weight” as the venerable Rotax-912S. The guy heading up this effort is Jan Eggenfellner, who’s been converting Subaru engines for Experimental aircraft for decades – he definitely comes with the right background and lots of experience. They’ve developed a PSRU for this new Viking engine, and it’s said operate in the same RPM range as the 912. Supposed to be priced “competitively” with the 912 also.

This venture could be successful where other “alternative” engines have failed, primarily because of Honda’s global reputation for making excellent engines. This could also contribute to an affordable product that comes from economy of volume – Honda makes zillions of these little engines. All we need is the right guy to design and adapt a good redrive on it (and a few other details) to make it compatible for aircraft use.

I hope he succeeds – it would be nice to give Rotax a bit of worthy competition! I’ll be watching …

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3, 912ul
Sandia Park, NM
do not archive

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
lcottrell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Alternative Engines Reply with quote

They’ve developed a PSRU for this new Viking engine, and it’s said operate in the same RPM range as the 912. Supposed to be priced “competitively” with the 912 also.

The thought that comes to mind is that "competitively" means close to the same. Then of course you need a "good redrive" and so on. If the price isn't substantially cheaper or the weight substantially less, what is the point? Granted the cost of a 912 is shocking, but so is a HKS compared to a 503, the lure here is the reliability and longer rebuild requirement. Perhaps someday we will have a better alternative, but it isn't today and won't be any cheaper I am thinking.

Larry

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JetPilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Engines Reply with quote

I saw this engine at Sun and Fun. I hope it succeeds as Honda engines are very reliable, technologically advanced, and run forever. The Honda engine also has fuel injection which would be a huge improvement over Rotax.

The problem is here, there are HUGE stresses on the Re-drive unit of auto conversions, or any piston engine. The piston pulses being transmitted to the re-drive gears make even the largest and strongest gearboxes fail over time. Rotax solved this with their Dog system, which allows some slip on every power pulse instead of transmitting it through the gears. Rotax came up with this over 20 years ago... The Subaru auto conversion people never figure this out, and they are on re drive design number 3 I believe, and they keep having failures. Re-drives have been a major failure point on every auto conversion ever done. If the same people that made the Subaru conversion are doing the Honda conversion, I do not hold out much hope. The problem and the solution have been known for many years, and they still have not done what is needed to fix it. Rotax addressed and fixed this problem almost a quarter century ago, which is why we are all flying overpriced Rotax engines.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
rmurrill(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Alternative Engines Reply with quote

Eigenfeller is for real. I have watched the development of this engine for a while and it may well corner the 100hp experimental market over the next 5 years. It is about $10K now , alittle lower if you supply a core. Engine is based on the Honda FIT and is the same engine in there large outboard marine engines and is in now one of the standard engines in one of the road race classes. Years of Honda development for light weight, high performance, long life engine. He has canted the engine sideways, made a new oil pan, installed his gear reducer much like the Suburus and built a dual computer dual battery system to run the timing and EFI. The computer maps are his customized version for aircraft use...and no catalytic converter feedback. Much like the hundreds maybe thousands of 4 and 6 cylinder Subes he has sold.

Hp is something like 110 and installed weight is claimed on the order of 30 lbs more than 912.

Bob

---- "Kirby wrote:
Quote:

<< IF a guy were inclined to go with an alternative engine (a non-Rotax
OEM engine) ... >>

Kolb Friends -

It's always interesting to hear the chat about new "alternative" engine
ideas - we've seen several candidates mentioned over the past few years.
Usually, the collective wisdom of this List comes back with advice that
suggests that the most reliable engines are ones that have been around
for awhile, and have proven themselves in the fleet of already-flying
airplanes. Good advice, for sure, but ...

There is a new, start-up aircraft engine company called Viking Aircraft
Engines that I am very interested in watching how its development goes.
They're developing a new engine aimed at the Light Sport Aircraft
market, and the engine is based on a Honda 4-cylinder engine. Has
anyone seen these ads in EAA's Sport Pilot magazine? Claims are 110 hp,
from an engine "about the same weight" as the venerable Rotax-912S. The
guy heading up this effort is Jan Eggenfellner, who's been converting
Subaru engines for Experimental aircraft for decades - he definitely
comes with the right background and lots of experience. They've
developed a PSRU for this new Viking engine, and it's said operate in
the same RPM range as the 912. Supposed to be priced "competitively"
with the 912 also.

This venture could be successful where other "alternative" engines have
failed, primarily because of Honda's global reputation for making
excellent engines. This could also contribute to an affordable product
that comes from economy of volume - Honda makes zillions of these little
engines. All we need is the right guy to design and adapt a good
redrive on it (and a few other details) to make it compatible for
aircraft use.

I hope he succeeds - it would be nice to give Rotax a bit of worthy
competition! I'll be watching ...

Dennis Kirby

Mark-3, 912ul

Sandia Park, NM

do not archive

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Alternative Engines Reply with quote

On 9/7/2010 12:19 PM, Kirby, Dennis Civ USAF AFMC AFNWC/EN wrote:
Quote:

<< IF a guy were inclined to go with an alternative engine (a
non-Rotax OEM engine) … >>

Kolb Friends –

It’s always interesting to hear the chat about new “alternative”
engine ideas – we’ve seen several candidates mentioned over the past
few years. Usually, the collective wisdom of this List comes back with
advice that suggests that the most reliable engines are ones that have
been around for awhile, and have proven themselves in the fleet of
already-flying airplanes. Good advice, for sure, but …

There is a new, start-up aircraft engine company called Viking
Aircraft Engines that I am very interested in watching how its
development goes. They’re developing a new engine aimed at the Light
Sport Aircraft market, and the engine is based on a Honda 4-cylinder
engine. Has anyone seen these ads in EAA’s Sport Pilot magazine?
Claims are 110 hp, from an engine “about the same weight” as the
venerable Rotax-912S. The guy heading up this effort is Jan
Eggenfellner, who’s been converting Subaru engines for Experimental
aircraft for decades – he definitely comes with the right background
and lots of experience. They’ve developed a PSRU for this new Viking
engine, and it’s said operate in the same RPM range as the 912.
Supposed to be priced “competitively” with the 912 also.

This venture could be successful where other “alternative” engines
have failed, primarily because of Honda’s global reputation for making
excellent engines. This could also contribute to an affordable product
that comes from economy of volume – Honda makes zillions of these
little engines. All we need is the right guy to design and adapt a
good redrive on it (and a few other details) to make it compatible for
aircraft use.

I hope he succeeds – it would be nice to give Rotax a bit of worthy
competition! I’ll be watching …

Dennis Kirby

Mark-3, 912ul

Sandia Park, NM

do not archive

No argument on the quality/durability of Hondas (I drive one) but I'd

suggest taking a closer look at Egg's record in the homebuilt market
with the Subaru derivatives, particularly his turbo & supercharged
models, and the various reduction drives he's sold, and his treatment of
paying customers when he realizes that existing products can't be made
to work.

Charlie

JetPilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative Engines Reply with quote

The engine is certainly appealing, I hope they can make it work. Given that it is a 100 HP class engine, if I were building that for an airplane, I would just use a Rotax 912-S gearbox and avoid all the Re-Drive problems. This is such a historically bad failure point, using a known gearbox like the Rotax would be a really good solution. The 912-S is known for having very strong power pulses, so this gear box may work very well with a Honda engine.

The Subaru engine has been a disaster in many cases. Most cases where I have read about the Subaru being installed on planes, in the end the owners said that a certified Lycoming engine would have been more reliable and CHEAPER after all was said and done.

So while the idea of a modern auto conversion is very appealing to me, I would be very wary until there were enough of them out there flying reliably and lasting a lot of hours to even consider one.

Mike

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: