Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AW: Oil Cooler Mount Cracking...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romeo.victor(at)t-online.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: AW: Oil Cooler Mount Cracking... Reply with quote

Hi Dick,

I am here in Germany but as well would like to know what you guys are discussing. May I call you as well or can you place some words in the net?

Best Regards
Stephan Servatius
2nd RV8

Von: owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv8-list-server(at)matronics.com] Im Auftrag von Richard Martin
Gesendet: Montag, 18. Oktober 2010 15:43
An: rv8-list(at)matronics.com
Betreff: Re: Oil Cooler Mount Cracking...

Mat, call me (at)920 619 6968. I experienced the same problem 2500 hours ago when I first flew my RV8 (serial no. 2). I can explain in detail how and what to do.

Dick Martin

RV8 N233M

the fast one

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Matt Dralle <dralle(at)matronics.com (dralle(at)matronics.com)> wrote:

Dear Listers,

I took the cowling off the 'ol RV-8 today to have a look around at about the 112 TTSN hour mark. Most everything looked okay except for one major issue. The outside, lower back mount on the oil cooler is totally cracked off. The outside, lower front mount also has a long crack. At this point, the upper part of the mount seems alright. Also the inside mounts show no signs of cracks. The rear flange on the baffling has a small crack where the left rear part rivets to the back baffle that the oil cooler is bolted to. No oil leaks of any kind at this point. See attached pictures from my Cell Phone.

So what the heck? The engine shakes quite a bit on startup and shutdown (smooth as glass during normal ops), but this doesn't really seem like rotational shake damage. Although, it must be. Obviously I'm going to have to remove the oil cooler and have it repaired (that can be done, right?). But just "fixing" the mounting flanges isn't going to solve the "problem".

What are lister's opinion on what's going on here and what could be done to prevent it?

Interestingly, I noted that the #4 grounding cable that is attached to a bolt hole right underneath the oil cooler also had the lug sheered off. There is "service loop" on the cable, but #4 isn't really flexible so its not particular effective. Guess I need more. The point though, is, that it seems like the engine shook pretty hard. I don't see any other signs of "issues" related. The mounts and bolts seem solid and tight.

Thoughts?

-
Matt Dralle
RV-8 #82880 N998RV
http://www.mattsrv8.com - Matt's RV-8 Construction Blog
http://www.youtube.com/MattsRV8 - Matt's RV-8 HDTV YouTube Channel

Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV8-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV8-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV8-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: