Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harbor Freight Riveter problems - no problem at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don.honabach(at)pcperfect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Harbor Freight Riveter problems - no problem at all. Reply with quote

From what I heard (please correct me if I wrong), most of the ZAC designs won’t have any real-world improvement from using flush rivets.

However, if you do want to do flush rivets, I suggest tracking down an RV owner’s construction manual – they have good guidelines in there for the core process which would apply equally to the ZAC designs.

I believe the key is that for .025 and smaller skins you have to dimple. For 0.032 and larger you are generally countersinking, but it could be 0.040 and larger though… again, see a RV construction manual for full details (always at least one RV builder at an airport!)

My understanding (although I’m not an engineer) is that dimpled skins/ribs are actually a stronger bond. However, in some cases making one area stronger without making other areas stronger can lead to issues, so you definitely want to check with ZAC or an engineer if you have concerns. When countersinking, if done wrong it can weaken the bond so you definitely want to make sure you understand the proper processes/technique for it – especially on the thinner skins.

If you want a super glass like finish, some flush builders will apply a fiberglass epoxy mix with cotton (?) to the top of the flush rivet head and then sand down smooth to the skin. This way when painted the rivets will ‘disappear’. Frankly this seems like extreme overkill for the ZAC’s typical mission (a KIS fun airplane), but that is the joy of building your own plane and getting to decide what areas you want to go a bit nuts on.

Don Honabach
Tempe, AZ
601HDS – 150+ hours

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of FLYaDIVE
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 5:40 AM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Harbor Freight Riveter problems - no problem at all.

Hello Gaggle:

I just had my first up-close LQQK at a Zenith, thank you Phil of NJ. I have always liked the lines of the plane but, getting close to it I fixated on the raised rivets... Millions of them.

So, I was wondering, can the raised rivets be replaced with flush? And, if so, would you have to dimple or countersink?  I prefer dimple. So, is the plane approved for this?

Barry

[quote] =====================<= the many List utilities such as List Un/Subscription,[/b][/b]http://forums.matronics.com[/url]http://www.matronics.com/contr========================[/b] [b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Afterfxllc(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Harbor Freight Riveter problems - no problem at all. Reply with quote

Another problem that you will run into will be gaining acess to buck the rivets unless you are planning of using the avex rivets which don't look all that great flush.

Jeff [quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: