Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Communication Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
A new can of worms, I hope! Twisted Evil

I entered "communication" into the search in our Matronics email lists. And I didn't find all that much on Radio's. So for the ones that would say, didn't you search first idiot? I can easily respond: Yes, thank you. And I found very little toward radios as radios. There was some about communication systems from pilot to passenger but not a lot about radio to the outside world. There was a great deal about antenna, wiring, and location, location, location. But not specifics as to radio.

Therefore, here are my questions regarding communication:

What radio do you use in communicating with the out of (your) plane world as in to towers or plane to plane?

And

What headset have you found among all the many promising ads that works best for you, including mike and why?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Roger Lee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Communication Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,

Recommendations for a radio and headset. I use a "Pilot" brand headset, model # PA1779t, price $465. I would highly recommend a noise canceling headset. Any good brand in noise canceling would most likely be a good choice. It is well worth the money especially if you are slightly hard of hearing.
The radio I have is an Icom IC-A200, $780. It is a ten channel radio that I can scroll or flip-flop channels from my stick. If you get a radio that you have to adjust by hand every time you change channels it is bothersome to say the least. I can program my radio with 10 different frequencies for a crosscountry or all my local frequnceies and never have to mess with it again.
My antenna is mounted under the nose of my Kolb. I use a 45 degree angle antenna. I also have a piece of sheet metal mounted flat on the inside of my nose to act as a good ground plane for the antenna. I get very good range and no interference in this location.
I'm sure their are many good radios and headsets and of course mounting locations. These seem to work for me.

Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.,
520-574-1080

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
kfackler(at)ameritech.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Communication Reply with quote

Radio: Sporty's SP-200 (nav/com)

Headset: Peltor (single plug with adapter and stick-mounted PTT from
Comtronics)

Antenna: STA-Lite Aviation kit mounted just in front of the vertical
stabilizer

Results: Excellent

John Jung

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Communication Reply with quote

Ralph Hoover wrote:

What headset have you found among all the many promising ads that works best for you, including mike and why?

Ralph,

A year ago, I got the DRE 6000 and reported to the list how much I liked it. After that, some other list members got the 6000 and it seems everyone likes it. Noise cancelling for less than $300, and proven to work in Kolbs. Easy choice.

Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Communication Reply with quote

“If you get a radio that you have to adjust by hand every time you change channels it is bothersome to say the least. I can program my radio with 10 different frequencies for a cross-country or all my local frequencies and never have to mess with it again. “
My antenna is mounted under the nose of my Kolb. I use a 45 degree angle antenna. I also have a piece of sheet metal mounted flat on the inside of my nose to act as a good ground plane for the antenna. I get very good range and no interference in this location. "
Now this is the meat and potato's that a man needs in order to make an inteligent decision!

Thanks Roger

I do have the plate of aluminum (or the Brits refer to it as aluminimum), and the 45 degree angle. The radio and headset prices are way up there, wow for a simple guy like me. Unfortunately out of my range. But none-the-less, important to know for many others. Also the adjust and channel things are really important. If one doesn't know the right questions to ask, one comes up short on what he gets. I like being prepared to ask the right questions and to know what the answers mean. Thanks again.

Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Communication Reply with quote

"stick-mounted PTT from Comtronics) " Thanks kfackler, that too is the meat and potato's.

I do also have installed a push to talk button.

And John Jung, I appreciate your DRE 6000 headset info. Thats a lot of money, but if it works, thats pretty cheap. I keep reading over the internet where individuals have half a dozen headsets everything from lightspeed to Bose. Ironically, the cheap ones work for some and the good (expensive) ones work for others. All this is great help to the newby!

"I can hear-ya-now" Ralph of Ohio

jstewart(at)inebraska.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Communication Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I have a new DRE 6000 (maybe 4 hours?) that I'm
probably going to sell. I have a Telex 50-D for my main headset, and their
mic sensitivities are too far apart to use the squelch effectively. If I
turn down the squelch on my DRE intercom where my Telex is set right, I have
to speak very loudly into the DRE to break the squelch. Otherwise, if I
turn it up to where the DRE is set right, almost anything breaks the squelch
on the Telex. The mic is just too hot on the Telex. For anything less than
the Telex or other high-end headsets with hot mics, the DRE would probably
work fine.
DRE said the solution would be to have two DRE6000 headsets so they're both
matched. Since I have a boatload of money into the Telex, that's not an
option. Includes everything you get when buying brand new, including the
case and box it came in. $275, including shipping to anywhere in the conti
US.

Thanks,

J.D. Stewart
UltraFun AirSports, LLC
www.ultrafunairsports.com
Titan Aircraft E-mail list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Titanaircraft/
Challenger E-mail list
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FlyChallenger/

[quote] --

John Jung

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Communication Reply with quote

Ralph Hoover wrote:

And John Jung, I appreciate your DRE 6000 headset info. Thats a lot of money, but if it works, thats pretty cheap.

Ralph,

I used to think that it was a lot of money, too. But I spent more than that on 3 sets of headsets before I bought the 6000. Let me give an example of the difference in noise reduction: On climbout, I noticed that I couldn't hear what my buddy, in another Firestar, was saying on the radio. I wondered what was wrong for a minute, until I remembered to turn on the noise reduction. Once on, I could hear again with no problem. At full power with a 503, the difference in noise reduction is like night and day.

gtb(at)commspeed.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Communication Reply with quote

Ralph Hoover <flht99reh(at)columbus.rr.com>, & others;

The price of one of those nice headsets could cost a
person several hundred dollars. Even the one offered
this evening was getting close to the $300.00 mark.

On the other hand, I recently had to spend THREE
THOUSAND DOLLARS, for a set of HEARING AIDS.

And at this time, I'm not too sure I want to hear all the
stuff that's out there, but, it would have been nice if I
could have put that money on something that would
have provided a little airtime.

George Bass

Maybe a new group of the "Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Etc"
could be in my future. Hearing more & liking it less.

Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Communication Reply with quote

Well, thanks to the kind heart of John Jung, I now have a pair of DRE-2000 headsets. Even at list of $ 129 they would be a good deal. But John did me a deal and I had an opertunity to use them on Saturday. To me they hear great. The mic picks-up real well and the hear-yerself aspect is great. The noise limiting is really good and the earcovering was comfortable. The mic stays near our lips and the cords flex well. I don't know how much better it could have gotten. thank you John. I would love to get a radio in as good of a deal as the headset was.

As I examined the internet to see what John was offering me, $ 129.00 was the Best price out there. As a matter of interest, I went to the DRE web site and talked with them. They indicated that the DRE-2000 was no longer being made. Nothing wrong with them just too much of a mix. They offered me a DRE-4000 for $ 20.00 off the $ 149.00 price. If anyone would be interested, go to their site call them on the phone and ask for the deal.

Now I hear ya here in Ohio, Ralph!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: