Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

******* Fire hazzard *****

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

*************** Fire Hazard *********

Buz, I think this cant wait till the next newsletter:

Today I had a great day of flying and just came in from 3 hrs flight and pulled up to the gas pumps. Got 8.6 gallons and went into the FBO to pay for it and someone came in and said my plane was on fire. Smoke was coming from the cockpit and the instrument panel cover was burning.
What had happened is it was a great day here in New York, bright sun and no wind. I had left my canopy up and the sun was directly behind the aircraft. The canopy was like a big parabolic reflector and focused the sun to a nice small spot on the dash. Thus the fire. Not to much damage for it was noticed quickly.
This happened here in New York, then down south of the Mason Dixie line or warmer areas it could be more of a problem.
Tex
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Lightning-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

Hi Tex,
Good that this was caught right away or the results could have been much worse. And thanks to you for posting it.  Very likely your notification on the list will keep someone else from having the same problem. In fact, this is not the first example of the sun using this canopy as a magnifying glass to heat up the glare shield over the instrument panel. It actually happened one year at Sun-N-Fun to one of the Lightning aircraft on display. Nick or Mark can  cover the specifics, but at least someone was standing close by and noticed either the smoke or smell before it got out of hand.
Blue Skies,
Buz

In a message dated 11/13/2010 8:31:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net writes:
Quote:
***************   Fire Hazard *********
Buz, I think this cant wait till the next newsletter:

Today I had a great day of flying and just came in from 3 hrs flight and pulled up to the gas pumps. Got 8.6 gallons and went into the FBO to pay for it and someone came in and said my plane was on fire. Smoke was coming from the cockpit and the instrument panel cover was burning.
  What had happened is it was a great day here in New York, bright sun and no wind. I had left my canopy up and the sun was directly behind the aircraft. The canopy was like a big parabolic reflector and focused the sun to a nice small spot on the dash. Thus the fire. Not to much damage for it was noticed quickly.
  This happened here in New York, then down south of the Mason Dixie line or warmer areas it could be more of a problem.
Tex

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

selwyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

I notice on another thread that someone has asked if this can happen with the canopy closed.

My thought is that this can't happen with the canopy closed because it is not a "magnifying glass" effect from sun through the canopy but rather a focused reflection from the inside surface of the canopy. It occurs when the canopy is up and the sun is in a sector over the tail.

I have had a similar thing happen to me although only to the extent of melting patches of the synthetic covering I have over the glareshield, I didn't actually achieve ignition.

I feel a bit bad about not posting a warning on the subject, although I have included it in an article I am writing for the newsletter, but I'm also irritated that the factory have experienced this behaviour and not passed on a warning.

In speaking to others I have found out that the effect will also occur in Esquals under the right conditions.

The moral of the story is to try and avoid parking your aircraft with the sun behind it any time you are have the canopy open. In my location (Australia) the glareshield fabric can reach melt temperature in a very short time (1-2 min). Probably a good idea not to leave paper on the glareshield either. I've also done a bit of experimenting and found that I can't achieve any sort of focus on the panel itself so instruments and screens are not at risk.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

Selwyn, I to am disappointed that the factory was aware of the possible
problem and did not put something in the newsletter. It is so important that
any problem big or small be put in the news for it could save someone the
expense and down time on their airplane. It just shows everybody how
valuable the news letters are.
We are real lucky to have people like Buz and others that manage the
news for us.

Tex
---

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

Hey guys, blame it on me. Actually, if my memory serves me correctly the incident at Sun-N-Fun happened before I even started writing the newsletter. Yep, I should have remembered the incident and put it in one of the early issues, but didn't remember to do that. Just too much on my mind I guess.
Sorry bout that, but I will put it in the December issue (the next to last one that I will write) so that future readers will have that info available.
Blue Skies,
Buz

In a message dated 11/15/2010 8:13:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net writes:
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Tex Mantell" <wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net>

news for us.

Tex
----- Original Message -----
To: <lightning-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: ******* Fire hazzard *****
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "selwyn" <selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au>

I notice on another thread that someone has asked if this can happen with
the canopy closed.

My thought is that this can't happen with the canopy closed because it is
not a "magnifying glass" effect from sun through the canopy but rather a
focused reflection from the inside surface of the canopy. It occurs when
the canopy is up and the sun is in a sector over the tail.

I have had a similar thing happen to me although only to the extent of
melting patches of the synthetic covering I have over the glareshield, I
didn't actually achieve ignition.

I feel a bit bad about not posting a warning on the subject, although I
have included it in an article I am writing for the newsletter, but I'm
also irritated that the factory have experienced this behaviour and not
passed on a warning.

In speaking to others I have found out that the effect will also occur in
Esquals under the right conditions.

The moral of the story is to try and avoid parking your aircraft with the
sun behind it any time you are have the canopy open. In my location
(Australia) the glareshield fabric can reach melt temperature in a very
short time (1-2 min). Probably a good idea not to leave paper on the
glareshield either. I've also done a bit of experimenting and found that
I can't achieve any sort of focus on the panel itself so instruments and
screens are not at risk.

--------
Cheers, Selwyn
Kit 66

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=319379#319379

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
========================; nbsp; (And Get Some AWESOME FREE to find Gifts ilder's ELP b k you for p; -Matt Dralle, List ======================== Use the ties Day ================================================ - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS ==================================================

[quote][b]

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

I want to add that this is not particularly a fire hazzard tho it may have some drama. It is not easy to get the fiberglass/carbon fiber to flame. Soften, yes.

Yes, it is possible to get smoke out of the top of the instrument panel depending on what material you use on the glare shield, IF you let the canopy open for a period of time, IN the direct sunlight, WITH a precise angle AND have a material that will smoke when the surface temp goes up.

It has not been a big secret, it has happened more than once at Sun n Fun and OshKosh. That is the reason the canopies are not left open when on display during the peak of the summer day. It requires both the sun and the canopy to be in a very precise angle and to be left open. However, Murphy's Law has kicked in occasionally. Leaving the canopy open for any length of time is not a good idea anyway because of possible wind damage.

To infer that the smoke will turn to flame or that there has been an intentional cover-up, or to blame Shelbyville for non-disclosure is a little over the top. In my opinion, of course.

My further opinion is that posting OBSERVATIONS on this list that may effect others is to be encouraged. The CouldaWouldaShoulda.........not so much.

$.02

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 11/15/2010 8:24:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM writes:
Quote:
Hey guys, blame it on me. Actually, if my memory serves me correctly the incident at Sun-N-Fun happened before I even started writing the newsletter. Yep, I should have remembered the incident and put it in one of the early issues, but didn't remember to do that. Just too much on my mind I guess.
Sorry bout that, but I will put it in the December issue (the next to last one that I will write) so that future readers will have that info available.
Blue Skies,
Buz

In a message dated 11/15/2010 8:13:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net writes:
Quote:
--> Lightning-List message posted by: "Tex Mantell" <wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net>

news for us.

Tex
----- Original Message -----
To: <lightning-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2010 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: ******* Fire hazzard *****

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

I love it when people put thier 2cent opions on topics on the list. I bet they would be totally different if it was thier plane that was damaged.

P.S fiberglass covered with fabric will not only soften but will burn very nicely and the flame will effect the canopy its self.

TEX
[quote] ---

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

Tex,
How about some photos of the damage on your airplane to go in the December newsletter. I for sure want to cover this potential problem in the newsletter this time and a photo or two always makes for better coverage.
Thanks, Buz

In a message dated 11/17/2010 4:35:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net writes:
[quote] I love it when people put thier 2cent opions on topics on the list. I bet they would be totally different if it was thier plane that was damaged.

P.S fiberglass covered with fabric will not only soften but will burn very nicely and the flame will effect the canopy its self.

TEX
[quote] ---

selwyn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

I don't want to get into silly "non-disclosure" discussions but it is clear that there are those who are aware of the potential for sun damage to the glare shield and those who are (or were) not. It would help if those who knew told those who don't, it would have helped if I had posted my experience, it would have helped more if the folks at Arion had posted their much earlier experience,or even better put on their site as an information note so that it was easily accessible.

Buzz, you do a good job with the newsletter, I don't think its your job to dig out the material as well.

It does not require a rare set of circumstances to achieve high temperatures on the glareshield. It requires canopy open for one to two minutes with the sun maybe 30 degrees either side of the tail to melt the fabric on my plane. The fabric is automotive trim fabric, not fireproof but not especially delicate either. That's in spring at mid 30's latitude. To my mind, bits of my aeroplane melting, producing smoke and possibly igniting is a non trivial occurrence best avoided.

So what to do about it? Changing the geometry of the canopy is not something you would want to do so its down to taking care how you park the thing and selecting something suitable to cover the glareshield with. I think I'm going to try some sheepskin.

I'll get some pics of my melted patches tomorrow.

davemcc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

What I am trying to figure out is how you can fly around for 3 hrs and only
need 8 gallons of fuel.
Dave
---

Kayberg(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

I stand corrected by Tex and others in regards to materials used on the glare shield.

By all means, if you use a material that will ignite on your glare shield, you are indeed vulnerable to fire.

And that it could happen quickly.

I didn't think about the use of flammable materials in that spot.

By all means, it would behoove Lightning owners and builders to exercise some caution and thought in their selection of materials and finishes. Sufficient ablation is suggested in this location.

Doug Koenigsberg

In a message dated 11/17/2010 4:35:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, wb2ssj(at)frontiernet.net writes:
Quote:
I love it when people put thier 2cent opions on topics on the list. I bet they would be totally different if it was thier plane that was damaged.

TEX

[quote][b]

selwyn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

Oh puhleeeeeze. Ablative material on the glareshield!!! This is just a simple local heating issue that people need to be aware of, it doesn't require mental gymnastics to pretend that something to simple does not exist.

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

I apologize to all.

I had just learned a new word and wanted to try it out. [img]http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201d20638/02[/img]

Doug

In a message dated 11/19/2010 4:31:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au writes:
Quote:

Oh puhleeeeeze. Ablative material on the glareshield!!! This is just a simple local heating issue that people need to be aware of, it doesn't require mental gymnastics to pretend that something to simple does not exist.

[quote][b]

n45bm(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

No obliviating on this list! Just kidding, just kidding.
Bernardo

--- On Fri, 11/19/10, Kayberg(at)AOL.COM <Kayberg(at)AOL.COM> wrote:
Quote:

Subject: Re: Re: ******* Fire hazzard *****
To: lightning-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Friday, November 19, 2010, 8:13 AM

I apologize to all.

I had just learned a new word and wanted to try it out. [img]http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201d20638/02[/img]

Doug

In a message dated 11/19/2010 4:31:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, selwyn(at)ellisworks.com.au writes:
Quote:

Quote:
www.h href="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/cot="_blank" href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List">htt -->

[quote][b]

N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

Hey Dougie (the hangar rat), I really enjoy your pugnacious sense of humor. How about you doing a monthly section for the newsletter that introduces us to new words - maybe a "Definitions by Doug" column.
Blue skies,
Buz

PS: How is the Cub coming along? Remember the Cub convoy to Sun-N-Fun this coming year.

In a message dated 11/19/2010 9:16:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, Kayberg(at)AOL.COM writes:
Quote:
I apologize to all.

Doug

Quote:

Quote:

====================================
ttp://www.aeroelectric.com/">www.aeroelectric.com
m/ href="http://www.buildersbooks.com/">www.buildersbooks.com
"http://www.homebuilthelp.com/">www.homebuilthelp.com
tp://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
t href="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Lightning-List
ms.matronics.com/">http://forums.matronics.com

[quote][b]

Kayberg(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: ******* Fire hazzard ***** Reply with quote

Hi Buz,

The loquaciousness of my verbosity is often without veracity.   Sorry.

I am very much planning on making the Cub Convoy. The question is what will I have ready to fly. It will likely be either an EAA Biplane or a VW powered SkyRanger or a Jabiru powered SkyRanger. But you never know.

Doug

In a message dated 11/19/2010 10:10:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, N1BZRich(at)AOL.COM writes:
Quote:
Hey Dougie (the hangar rat), I really enjoy your pugnacious sense of humor. How about you doing a monthly section for the newsletter that introduces us to new words - maybe a "Definitions by Doug" column.
Blue skies,
Buz

PS: How is the Cub coming along? Remember the Cub convoy to Sun-N-Fun this coming year.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Lightning-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: