Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with upper front strut fitting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert.eli(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

Folks,

Construction on my 701 has gone slowly but steadily since 2003, with no major problems until now. I am building from the full kit purchased in the fall of 2003. I am currently working on the right wing skins, following the current version of the photo assembly guide. I am at the point where I am attempting to install the 7V8-4SP strut angle (it is mislabeled as 7V8-3SP in the upper photo in Section 4A, page 9 of 12, wing nose skin). My first hint of a problem was that the location of the cutout for the 7V2-5 front upper strut fitting in the nose skin was located too far toward the wing tip to match my required location. I needed to shift the location by about 10 mm toward nose rib #4, which I did. After installing the nose skin and bolting the strut fitting in place, I discovered that the 7V8-4SP strut angle would not fit under the 7V2-5 strut fitting as shown in the attached photo.

The source of the problem was that the spar web doubler and associated strut angle 7V2-4 assembly was installed so that the outboard edge of the web doubler is at station 2255 instead of at 2260 as specified on drawing 7-V-2. This effectively places the entire assembly 5 mm closer to the wing root than it should be. This assembly was done by Zenith. All other measures are OK, including rib station locations and the angle of the strut fitting. I hope there is a way to salvage things without trashing my entire wing assembly.

As anybody out there encountered a similar problem, and if so, what was the fix?

Help!

Bob Eli
N701K

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

IMG_0535.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.23 MB
 Viewed:  7399 Time(s)

IMG_0535.JPG

Geoff Heap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

Hi Bob. Ive got a couple of ideas. However. This is a wing attach point. You really need to discuss the fix with Zenith. Don't despair yet. It looks like it can be worked around....Geoff

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

Geoff,

Thanks for the reply, Gordon also responded with a similar problem to mine.
The solution was to add an 1/8 inch shim between 7V2-4 and -5. I am
contacting Zenith this morning to see what they say.

Bob Eli

---

bryanekholm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

It also looks like you will have to cut a notch in the L piece so that it can be moved outboard to align its rivet line with the rib centerline.

Bryan Ekholm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

Bryan,

I was originally planning to notch the L, but I got a response from Gordon
Lysle who had a similar problem with an improperly located web doubler
assembly, resulting in the mislocation of the strut fitting. He checked with
Zenith to see if it was OK to shim the strut fitting (using a 1/8 in. thick
shim) so as to raise it up some and also shift it in the outboard direction.
Zenith OK'd this and supplied some shim material and longer bolts (to deal
with the increase in grip length). I also contacted Zenith, and they OK'd
the same fix. I just received the shim material and bolts today.

I don't like the shim fix, but it does avoid the need to notch the L (and
also shave the strut doubler flange) in order to get everything to match
up. All of this raises another question for which I have not had an answer.
How much "out-of-position" can the strut fitting be without having
misalignment problems when attaching the struts? With the shim, the strut
fitting will protrude a little more than it normally would from the nose
skin opening, however the proper angle will be maintained. If I were to go
the notch route, leaving the strut attachment as is, then the fitting would
be shifted about 5 mm inboard from where it should be.

Bob Eli
---

ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

.......How much "out-of-position" can the strut fitting be without having
misalignment problems when attaching the struts?

Bob,

Not a problem at all. The shim fix will get the strut fitting very close if not right where it should be.
The angle is exactly the same, if it protrudes a little bit further that is not a problem if you have
the 2 piece struts. Lots of room to work with here. If you have one piece struts they still might work fine.
I had one piece and had angle problems with the ends. I cut off the wing end of each strut. Zenith sent the
ends. I bolted the ends of the struts to their points, set the wing angle and then drilled the holes for the
bolts that hold the 2 pieces together. I remember shaving the strut doubler flange and the L anyway to get
a nice fit when installing these parts.(http://www.701builder.com/02WingSkins6.htm) .

Brian

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

Brian,

Thanks for your response. This is the reassurance that I needed. I just checked the fit with the new shim yesterday, and the L will fit under the strut fitting, but is in slight contact at the forward corner. Therefore I will also shave the L flange, but will only need to remove about 1 or 2 mm. The strut doubler flange will also need to be shaved by a small amount in order to mate simultaneously with the strut fitting and the L. I was pretty sure that the strut assembly could be made to work with the shimmed strut fitting, but it is good to get that confirmation from you. I am going to drill the holes and complete the assembly later today.

Thanks

Bob
N701K
[quote] ---

ruruny(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

.......I am going to drill the holes and complete the
assembly later today

Bob,

Just a tip to make life easier, when your ready to drill, tape and clamp everything in place to its proper
position. Drill and cleco the L first to the skin and rib. Drill and cleco only the 2 end holes of the L and strut doubler.
Take it off the wing and drill the rest of the holes for the strut doubler and L on the edge of your work bench.
Rivet them together before you rivet it to the wing, you will be thankful for this as its a tight squeeze for the
riveter. Eventually, you will want to pilot drill the strut end, the upper strut fitting and doubler all together not separately.
This is because you are going to use a hand drill for this and have to get it close to 90 deg as possible. Make sure to
tape a piece of scrap aluminum on the skin where the drill bit comes out as it will hit the skin and damage it if the
scrap is not there. The nice part of the 2 piece struts you can do this now with the small strut piece
right side up on the bench which is easier... or later upside down while installing your wings(harder).
The wing diehedral adjustment is made between the small and the large strut peices, set and drilled.
With the one piece struts the wing diehedral is set and then drill the end holes to lock it in.
I suspect you have the one piece circa 2003 kit.

Brian

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Problem with upper front strut fitting Reply with quote

Brian,

You have confirmed what I had already decided to do with regard to drilling the strut doubler to L holes off the wing. Also, I agree that the riveting will be a lot more difficult to do correctly with the assembly clecoed to the wing, so I plan to follow your recommendation. When I first read your Email earlier, I had no idea that there were two types of struts. I have confirmed that I have the old single piece struts with the attach fittings welded on each end. I have both my old original drawings from 2003, and also an updated version from Fall of 2009. I now see what you are talking about with regard to the two piece struts, since I have that version shown on the new drawings. Reading ahead to Tommy's offer of the "strut ends", I assume he is refering to the short end of the new two piece struts? Am I correct in assuming it is possible to modify my old struts to the new configuration, if I have the short strut end? If so, I assume from what you are saying that the strut attachment process and adjustment is a lot easier with the two piece struts.

Bob

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: