Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidsel.svein(at)oslo.onli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

Roland,

I should perhaps have added why I fixed the aircraft by the two main wheels:
The wheels and wheel legs are designed to take substantial forces in any
direction (I would expect strong enough also to hold the aircraft inverted).
It therefore seemed logical to use these easily accessible strong-points,
and not risking any consequences of introducing new points into the
fuselage. My "things" (clamps?) are also very strong, although I have only
applied "eyeball engineering techniques" in the inception and manufacturing
stages. Just add another layer of heavy glass fibre mat - - -.

As I pulled my aircraft in nose-first, I used a strong baggage web strap
around the nose gear, and hooked the electric winch wire to this.

Since you are pulling your aircraft tail-first: Do you have a well-bedded
tie-down point under the tail somewhere, that can be used?

Regards,
Svein

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Roland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

Svein,

comprehensible reasons for choosing the main-undercarriage. I will suggest the trailer-company to check this variant, although they also use some kind of clamps.

Since the G-BZTI doesn't have a tie down hook at its tail, pulling the plane in front first might be a good option and since the trailer has to be adapted anyway, "changing the direction" might also be possible. Another advantage would be, that the tail fin doesn't come up, when entering the trailer on the ramps.

Very useful ideas - thank you.

Roland
G-BZTI

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kheindl(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

Roland,

I installed stainless steel eye bolts in the fuselage right behind the top of the legs. Installation is very simple, i.e. an 8mm hole which also goes through the steel plate which is embedded in the layups. Then in the baggage compartment I placed a large washer and locknut over the bolt to make it very secure. Before winching the aircraft onto the trailer I tie a rope or whatever between the two eyes (they are circular not an open hook), and attach the winch cable to it. I have used it many times without any sign of wear.
I also use them as additional tiedown points, as well as the wheels without the spats.
I vaguely remember Neville suggesting something like that a long time ago.
Cheers,
Karl

Quote:
Subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 12:39:35 -0800
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

--> Europa-List message posted by: "Roland" <schmidtroland(at)web.de>

Svein,

comprehensible reasons for choosing the main-undercarriage. I will suggest the trailer-company to check this variant, although they also use some kind of clamps.

Since the G-BZTI doesn't have a tie down hook at its tail, pulling the plane in front first might be a good option and since the trailer has to be adapted anyway, "changing the direction" might also be possible. Another advantage would be, that the tail fin doesn't come up, when entering the trailer on the ramps.

Very useful ideas - thank you.

Roland
G-BZTI

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=329879#329879

&gt=======================

&g================
Quote:

[quote][b]

mau11(at)free.fr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

Le 07/02/2011 01:45, Karl Heindl a écrit :
Quote:
Roland,

I installed stainless steel eye bolts in the fuselage right behind the top of the legs. Installation is very simple, i.e. an 8mm hole which also goes through the steel plate which is embedded in the layups. Then in the baggage compartment I placed a large washer and locknut over the bolt to make it very secure. Before winching the aircraft onto the trailer I tie a rope or whatever between the two eyes (they are circular not an open hook), and attach the winch cable to it. I have used it many times without any sign of wear.
I also use them as additional tiedown points, as well as the wheels without the spats.
I vaguely remember Neville suggesting something like that a long time ago.

Cheers,

Karl

> Subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions
> From: schmidtroland(at)web.de (schmidtroland(at)web.de)
> Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 12:39:35 -0800
> To: europa-list(at)matronics.com (europa-list(at)matronics.com)
>
> --> Europa-List message posted by: "Roland" <schmidtroland(at)web.de> (schmidtroland(at)web.de)
>
> Svein,
>
> comprehensible reasons for choosing the main-undercarriage. I will suggest the trailer-company to check this variant, although they also use some kind of clamps.
>
> Since the G-BZTI doesn't have a tie down hook at its tail, pulling the plane in front first might be a good option and since the trailer has to be adapted anyway, "changing the direction" might also be possible. Another advantage would be, that the tail fin doesn't come up, when entering the trailer on the ramps.
>
> Very useful ideas - thank you.
>
> Roland
> G-BZTI
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=329879#329879
>
>
>
>
>=======================
&g================
>
>
>

Quote:

Hi Karl,
Do you have pictures of it?
Thanks

[quote]--
Michel AUVRAY
l
-----(*)-----[b]

steven.pitt2(at)ntlworld.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

I have been watching these discussions with interest and you may wish to consider an alternative approach to winching and safe towing of your trigear.
I have had my trailer for 6 years or so and been towing the aircraft over some fairly long distances (including 'rescuing' a trigear from Shoreham to Nottingham).
I have a winch in the nose of the trailer and use a modified nosewheel through bolt/axle which is threaded both ends (the modification was carried out by Bud in Florida) - I can then attach the winch to the axle on both sides using ring nuts purchased from any Yachting Chandler. These then serve two purposes - first to winch the aircraft into the closed trailer and secondly using bottle bolts to tie the nose wheel to the trailer floor for towing (ensuring no significant movement in the nosewheel on the move).
For the main wheels, I considered using a dummy spar tied at each end to the trailer floor but in the end decided against that as the weight of the aircraft jumping whilst towing could rip the floor out. Accordingly I have a tie down bolt in the tail to which I attach two bungy cords to the floor at the rear of the trailer. Whilst this allows some flexing the movement of the tail is damped.
As far as chocking the main wheels I have a wooden chock front of the tyres (bolted to the floor) and a chock that drops behind the main wheels to lock them in place.
Realising that a picture tells a thousand words I will take some photos later today to try to explain in more detail.
I hope this helps and if anyone wants further info please contact me. I know that there are variations on this theme - Ian Rickard (G-IANI) has a really nice trailer and whilst his mainwheels have a similar chocking arrangement he has a bar under his tail to prevent the tail moving in transit.
Regards
Steve Pitt
G-SMDH
[quote] ---

Roland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

Interesting and useful discussion in fact - thank you all at this point!

Karl, I'm also interested in a photo of the eye bolts you've mounted behind the U/C-legs (as possible from the in- and outside).

My fellow Europa friends, there is another thing to solve for me: as I probably mentioned already, I have to pick up my plane 1000 kilometres away from my homebase in Perranporth. Within the next few weeks my trailer will become adapted (has to be enhanced a little later I guess because I only have some dimensions and drawings for the trailer company), which includes a wider track for the main wheels. Since I can only modify the plane itself when I have it here, the question is, where I can tie it down on the trailer provisional in addition to the main-U/C (front wheel leg or fuselage between cabin and fin or both - again: it has no tie down hook) to bring it here in one piece. Is it okay to allow movement of the plane or do I have to tie it down very tight?

Any ideas most welcome.

Roland
G-BZTI

kheindl(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

http://www.thomasnet.com/catalognavigator.html?cid=10051928&cov=NA&what=Eye+Bolts&heading=6500409&searchpos=1&cnurl=http://lexco.thomasnet.com/Category/gs-hardware-eye-bolts-stainless-steel-br-eye-bolts&prodpos=1&searchpos=1

Roland,

the above link takes you to one.
I also used them for wing tiedowns for my 4 wings, but it is not possible to retro-fit to the standard wings.
Karl

Quote:
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:33:19 -0800

Interesting and useful discussion in fact.

Karl, I'm also interested in a photo of the eye bolts you've mounted behind the U/C-legs (as possible from the in- and outside).

My fellow Europa friends, there is another thing to solve for me: as I probably mentioned already, I have to pick up my plane 1000 kilometres away from my homebase in Perranporth. Within the next few weeks my trailer will become adapted (has to be enhanced a little later I guess because I only have some dimensions and drawings for the trailer company), which includes a wider track for the main wheels. Since I can only modify the plane itself when I have it here, the question is, where I can tie it down on the trailer provisional in addition to the main-U/C (front wheel leg or fuselage between cabin and fin or both - again: it has no tie down hook) to bring it here in one piece. Is it okay to allow movement of the plane or do I have to tie it down very tight?

Any ideas most welcome.

Roland
G-BZTI

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=330038#330038

&gt=======================

&g================
Quote:

[quote][b]

kheindl(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: SV: SV: Re: Some Trigear dimensions Reply with quote

To be more specific:

look at    www.lexcocable.com  and part number 307S-860.

Quote:
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:33:19 -0800

Interesting and useful discussion in fact.

Any ideas most welcome.

Roland
G-BZTI

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=330038#330038

<======================
&gt================

Quote:

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: