Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cell phone rechargers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Welch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: cell phone rechargers Reply with quote

Bob Noffs,

My apologies for stepping into your question to Bob N, but I have experienced this.
I had two different brand cell phones, yet they both could accept either one's wall
charger plug.  However, the wall charger's output voltages were NOT the same voltage. 
I can't recall exactly what the voltages were, but it was LESS than 1/2 volt.

I figured I'd take a gamble, and plug the higher voltage wall charger into the
lower voltage cell phone.  Poof!  The phone went dead, D-E-D, dead.  It wasn't
just the battery, either, because I plugged it in the correct charger, but that didn't
make a difference. 
  You could see some kind of proof that the phone was on, like the screen was lit, but 
blank, or something like that, but no amount of fiddling with it ever showed it was
ever going to work again.  Less than 1/2 volt too much fried it!!

So, in answering your question, in my experience, no, a cell phone can not take
virtually any higher charge than the wall charger rating. 

Mike Welch

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 06:26:51 -0600
Subject: cell phone rechargers
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com

bob,
  i put together a $15 kit to allow the light of a cell phone to turn on a relay which i use to activate a 20 amp connector which someday will preheat my engine. with a $15 kit there are no codes or protection from false starts so to protect from power out and back on which activates the display on the phone i was wondering about using a 6 volt battery instead of the120 volt ac phone charger. the chargers are rated 4.5-9.5 volts. my question is .......do cell phones have internal means to regulate the current flow to charge their battery or will wiring it to a 6 volt battery for charging fry it?  it does take 2 calls to activate it so that lessens the possibility. thanks for the time on this ''off topic'' issue
      bob noffs
[quote]

-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
email(at)jaredyates.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: cell phone rechargers Reply with quote

How about a DC powered cell-phone charger?
You can find a cheap automotive charger for just about any cell phone on ebay.  I've been ordering them from china directly, usually for a few dollars including shipping.  You should also be able to find a cheap alligator clip lead with a female SAE 12v jack on one end.  Could you clip those alligator leads onto your airplane's battery, which is already connected to a maintaining charger like the Schumaker 1526?  Then you are using AC power for the long term, but DC power for the short term.  In this case, "short term" would probably still be a really long time.  When it's time to fly, just unhook your alligator clips and charger, and leave them at the hangar.  If your phone system is located some distance from the airplane, you could use this same strategy with a stand-alone 12v battery and an AC or solar battery tender.  This would be a great use for a retired odyssey battery or something like that.  If you keep a lawn tractor or any other GSE in the hangar, you could use one of those onboard batteries instead.
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Mike Welch <mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com (mdnanwelch7(at)hotmail.com)> wrote:
[quote] Bob Noffs,

My apologies for stepping into your question to Bob N, but I have experienced this.
I had two different brand cell phones, yet they both could accept either one's wall
charger plug.  However, the wall charger's output voltages were NOT the same voltage. 
I can't recall exactly what the voltages were, but it was LESS than 1/2 volt.

I figured I'd take a gamble, and plug the higher voltage wall charger into the
lower voltage cell phone.  Poof!  The phone went dead, D-E-D, dead.  It wasn't
just the battery, either, because I plugged it in the correct charger, but that didn't
make a difference. 
  You could see some kind of proof that the phone was on, like the screen was lit, but 
blank, or something like that, but no amount of fiddling with it ever showed it was
ever going to work again.  Less than 1/2 volt too much fried it!!

Mike Welch

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 06:26:51 -0600
Subject: cell phone rechargers
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)

bob,
  i put together a $15 kit to allow the light of a cell phone to turn on a relay which i use to activate a 20 amp connector which someday will preheat my engine. with a $15 kit there are no codes or protection from false starts so to protect from power out and back on which activates the display on the phone i was wondering about using a 6 volt battery instead of the120 volt ac phone charger. the chargers are rated 4.5-9.5 volts. my question is .......do cell phones have internal means to regulate the current flow to charge their battery or will wiring it to a 6 volt battery for charging fry it?  it does take 2 calls to activate it so that lessens the possibility. thanks for the time on this ''off topic'' issue
      bob noffs
Quote:

-List" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
ttp://forums.matronics.com
=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution

ist" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: cell phone rechargers Reply with quote

Jared,

Although I failed to suggest that, what you suggested is what I would do.

If a guy got a small 12V battery, and one of those 12V cigarette lighter
receptecles, and used the 12V cell phone chargers, he'd be fine.

Plus, he could get one of the battery tenders from Harbor Freight that
keeps his 12 V battery always topped off. Battery tender, small 12V battery, and the car charger would do it!!

Mike Welch

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: cell phone rechargers Reply with quote

At 08:50 AM 2/16/2011, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob Noffs,

charger plug.

<snip>

Quote:

It's unfortunate that there's so little standardization
for power supplies . . . especially for cell phones. We've
owned a variety of brands and models in the family and
cursed the need for separately tailored wall and mobile
chargers for each phone.

There appears to be a trend toward "USB Port" standardization
which would be 5.0 +/- 0.2 volts DC power. If your phone
is indeed a USB compatible device, then you'll want to
provide a tightly regulated power source. One easy way
to get the right power AND the right connector is to
acquire an IGo universal adapter.

http://tinyurl.com/4un3rdk

and combine it with the appropriate custom tip that
mates with your phone. The adapter has it's own
switchmode power supply that is set to the right
output voltage when the right tip is installed.
The adapter will need to be powered from 12v or
so. A small SLVA battery and BatteryTender would
be a good choice.

The nice thing about this arrangement is that
you can change phones at any time in the future
by simply swapping the power adapter tip.

I've read some descriptions of similar remote
control systems. One of the most interesting
used an audio detection system. The phone was
set to 'silent' except for a custom ring-tone
that activated by your controlling phone
number only.

Bob . . . [quote][b]

trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: cell phone rechargers Reply with quote

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert L. Nuckolls, III
Sent: quarta-feira, 16 de Fevereiro de 2011 14:38
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: AeroElectric-List: cell phone rechargers

At 08:50 AM 2/16/2011, you wrote:

It's unfortunate that there's so little standardization
for power supplies . . . especially for cell phones.

Recently I saw in some TV news that the great majority of world cell phone manufacturers (including Motorola, NOKIA, Siemens, Samsung – I can’t remember if iPhone and Blackberry were in) had reached an agreement exactly to standardize all cell phone chargers.

Let’s hope they do it quickly

Carlos [quote] [b]

JohnInReno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: cell phone rechargers Reply with quote

Bob Noffs,

I would be very interested in duplicating your set-up. You said the LIGHT from the phone activated the contact?

John Morgensen

On 2/16/2011 5:38 PM, bob noffs wrote: [quote] hi all,
 with my $10 tracfone came a car recharger so i am all set. have a garden tractor battery i bought for a trail cam and never used and at least 1/2 dz. battery tenders around . i put a contacter together today in a metal box with 120 volt plug and receptacle so handling a 15 amp load is no problem.
  i was still a little worried about something triggering the device [ although not so much now as a power outage wont be a factor] and it would run something for a week or two. this morning it came to me to plug a timer in the power supply cord and interrupt the power to the circuit board every 8 hrs or so. board will shut off if on and will resume operation if it gets the light signals.   
  including the tracfone i have $40 in this and it works like a million bucks!
    thanks for the input.     bob noffs

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Carlos Trigo <trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt (trigo(at)mail.telepac.pt)> wrote:

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: