Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extended riveter nose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Extended riveter nose Reply with quote

Three problems with the horizontal stabilizer brackets on the Mk IIIX I'm working on. The first was that the brackets were mounted a bit more than 3/8" off to each other (about a degree of incidence). 
Second it is a Mk IIIC to X conversion and when the wider X brackets were mounted further toward the center of the boom tube it spread the front of the stabilizers such that the hinges were binding so much that you could feel them pop over center. Surely not a way to prolong the life of the elevator hinges. 
Third, the builder drilled the mounting holes so close to the flanges of the bracket it was impossible to get the rivet square with the bracket even after I solved problem 2 by cutting down the flanges of the brackets and moving the top hole inboard 3/8".
First I made an extended nose for my air riveter. I won't bore you with the details, but it could just as easily be done with a piece of 3/8" X .125 tubing (yes, Spruce has that size) 3/4" of an inch long and holding it in place, or getting an extra nose piece and use some JB Weld to stick it on. I elected to do it the hard way, although I did cheat and use a loose 3/8-26 thread to approximate a 10mm X 1.0 (.393-25.4 in inches)
Then I had to make a hybrid rivet to accommodate the longer nose. McMaster Carr carries 3/16" stainless steel rivets in grip lengths out to 1.00 inch. At 75 cents each by the time you pay shipping this trick gets expensive real quick, but I only needed 14 and they come in boxes of 10 so it was tolerable. As you can see from the picture I took the mandrel from a 1.00" grip rivet and put it in a 1/8-1/4" grip rivet. By the time it was all said and done each hybrid rivet cost about $1.10 but it worked, the rivets are tight and all three problems are solved.

Rick Girard
--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

rivet_1_crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.61 KB
 Viewed:  830 Time(s)

rivet_1_crop.jpg

rivet_2_crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.24 KB

rivet_2_crop.jpg

rivets_crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.03 KB

rivets_crop.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: