Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fuel leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwayne(at)gamewood.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

So, doing my first condition inspection and found a small fuel leak (big blue stain) at the inboard leading edge of my fuel tank. The sealant feels like putty. I had a quickbuild so the tanks were done so I have no proseal experience. How in the world do you fix something like this?
Thanks.

Wayne

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ScooterF15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Wayne,

I had a similar leaking rivet during my first annual on my quick build wings. I used green loctite 290 to seal it up. No problems now almost 4 years later.

My rivet was on the bottom, so I drained the fuel. Someone told me to put a little vacuum on the tank to help the Loctite get into the rivet, that sounded like a lot of work to do. I thought it was easier to put a little pressure on the outside, so I put a piece of rubber hose into a balloon and held that over the rivet to force some of the Loctite under the rivet. So I laid on my back under the wing for an hour or so and held it there. I also used a heat gun to help the Loctite dry. Then I probably let it sit for a couple weeks before filling the tank back up.

-Jim
N312JE

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Wayne Williams
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:05 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: fuel leak

So, doing my first condition inspection and found a small fuel leak (big blue stain) at the inboard leading edge of my fuel tank. The sealant feels like putty. I had a quickbuild so the tanks were done so I have no proseal experience. How in the world do you fix something like this?
Thanks.

Wayne
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

If the sealant is soft, it is bad. The bad sealant has to be removed, then replaced. Hard plastic or plexiglass scrapers to avoid damaging your aluminum. There is a solvent. It is slow acting. You probably are going to have to remove the tank to work on it and find the actual leak. I can get you the source of the solvent. For hand work the gel form is best.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Wayne Williams <rwayne(at)gamewood.net (rwayne(at)gamewood.net)> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Wayne

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

#avg_ls_inline_popup{position: absolute;z-index: 9999;padding: 0px 0px;margin-left: 0px;margin-top: 0px;overflow: hidden;word-wrap: break-word;color: black;font-size: 10px;text-align: left;line-height: 130%;} [quote][b]

bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Join the club, The experts at Vans said the proseal gets gummy due to the exposure to air. So in their words, keep your tanks full. I scraped the proseal off and applied some two part epoxy to my leaking rivets, but they were in the the area between the wing and cabin that is hidden from sight. Deem's said the course of action for visible leaks is putting the tanks under vacuum and letting some green loc-tite get sucked in. I did that and then added the epoxy, so not sure which worked but my blue stain had gone away. Mine were quick build too and both leaked at the the same location. Good luck. And for the vacuum I used my shop vac and it seemed to work well. Good Luck

Bruce 151BJ 39 hrs

Sent: Sun, February 27, 2011 3:04:49 PM
Subject: fuel leak

Thanks.

Wayne

[quote][b][b]

dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Not a solution but questions. Do you allow passengers to stand on any portion of the tank during loading? Did you remove the QB tanks to install the stall warning?
[quote] ---

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

If that is what the so-called experts told you, they simply don't know
what they are talking about, or are giving you a pacifying excuse with
no basis in fact. Pro-seal only gets gummy if it wasn't mixed and
cured correctly to start with, or was exposed long term to auto-gas.
There are many Mooneys no only with wet wing tanks, but with wet wing
aux tanks that are left empty most of the time. Current versions of
Pro-seal, or Flamemaster Chemseal do not need to be kept wet with
fuel. If that were true, your tanks would leak like a sieve the first
time you put fuel in them, since it likely will have been a year or
two from the sealing to the filling for first flight.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Bruce Johnson
<bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Quote:

Join the club, The experts at Vans said the proseal gets gummy due to the exposure to air. So in their words, keep your tanks full. I scraped the proseal off and applied some two part epoxy to my leaking  rivets, but they were in the the area between the wing and cabin that is hidden from sight. Deem's said the course of action for visible leaks is putting the tanks under vacuum and letting some green loc-tite get sucked in. I did that and then added the epoxy, so not sure which worked but my blue stain had gone away. Mine were quick build too and both leaked at the the same location. Good luck. And for the vacuum I used my shop vac and it seemed to work well. Good Luck

Bruce 151BJ 39 hrs

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

http://www.rpm-technology.com/PG300-AG_Gel.htm

Used a fair amount stripping and resealing a Mooney tank. The
smallest container should be enough for your job. They do sell direct.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
If the sealant is soft, it is bad. The bad sealant has to be removed, then
replaced. Hard plastic or Plexiglas scrapers to avoid damaging your
aluminum. There is a solvent. It is slow acting. You probably are going to
have to remove the tank to work on it and find the actual leak. I can get
you the source of the solvent. For hand work the gel form is best.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Wayne Williams <rwayne(at)gamewood.net> wrote:
>
> So, doing my first condition inspection and found a small fuel leak (big
> blue stain) at the inboard leading edge of my fuel tank. The sealant feels
> like putty. I had a quickbuild so the tanks were done so I have no proseal
> experience. How in the world do you fix something like this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wayne
>
>

rv10rob(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Hey, at least they've heard of the problem this time.

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)>

<bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.com (bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Join the club, The experts at Vans said the proseal gets gummy due to the exposure to air. So in their words, keep your tanks full. I scraped the proseal off and applied some two part epoxy to my leaking  rivets, but they were in the the area between the wing and cabin that is hidden from sight. Deem's said the course of action for visible leaks is putting the tanks under vacuum and letting some green loc-tite get sucked in. I did that and then added the epoxy, so not sure which worked but my blue stain had gone away. Mine were quick build too and both leaked at the the same location. Good luck. And for the vacuum I used my shop vac and it seemed to work well. Good Luck
>

Quote:
Bruce 151BJ 39 hrs

scription,
www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
Matt Dralle, List Admin.
=====

--
Rob Kochman
RV-10 "Finishing" Kit
Woodinville, WA (near Seattle)
http://kochman.net/N819K
[quote][b]

Albert Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Many builders tested their tanks using a water manometer to raise the pressure about 4”. You can use the same setup to instead draw a vacuum. Watch closely when drawing the vacuum so that the tank does not distort.
Albert Gardner
N991RV
Yuma, AZ

[quote][b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Kelly, I agree with you 100% but that is what they claimed. After that I just didn't ask them anymore questions. I went back and looked for the emails to post but I must have deleted them.

Sent: Sun, February 27, 2011 7:02:54 PM
Subject: Re: RV10-List: fuel leak

--> RV10-List message posted by: Kelly McMullen <apilot2(at)gmail.com (apilot2(at)gmail.com)>

<bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.com (bruce1hwjohnson(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Join the club, The experts at Vans said the proseal gets gummy due to the exposure to air. So in their words, keep your tanks full. I scraped the proseal off and applied some two part epoxy to my leaking rivets, but they were in the the area between the wing and cabin that is hidden from sight. Deem's said the course of action for visible leaks is putting the tanks under vacuum and letting some green loc-tite get sucked in. I did that and then added the epoxy, so not sure which worked but my blue stain had gone away. Mine were quick build too and both leaked at the the same location. Good luck. And for the vacuum I used my shop vac and it seemed to work well. Good Luck

Bruce 15nbsp; =======================

[quote][b]

davidsoutpost(at)comcast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

I read all the time on this list and the VAF forum about problems with the fast build kits after they are received. Granted, most are build correctly,,,, but what do you guy's expect from products built in third world countries from workers with questionable skills, chewing Khat and high as a kite making wages that aren't much better than a bowl of rice a day? No way I would ever risk my life, let alone family or friends flying behind questionable quality, some of which can not even be examined when received.

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI

[quote]
[b]

Kelly McMullen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Well, if you go back to Van's website, the workers are supposedly
skilled and experienced. I would put any blame squarely on Van's
pinching pennies and letting his customers be his quality control
dept.
I quote from the website:
"How would you like to hire a team of experienced experts, with over a
thousand completed RV airframes on their resume, for twenty-five
weeks, eight hours a day?
They will build the first half of your kit, jigging and riveting about
75% of your metal airframe. They will do all the messy jobs, like
sealing the fuel tanks and priming to protect against corrosion. They
never leave a mess, make no noise, don’t need insurance and never want
to use your bathroom. When they leave, you will have only 800-1200
hours of work to finish the airplane.

And they work for about eight dollars an hour!

We don’t know anybody like that either, but we can tell you how to get
the result: Order a QuickBuild Kit."

As to defects, I spent around 10 days doing inspection, step by step
through the plans, annotating anything I wasn't satisfied with. I'm
picky after 30+ years working on certified planes and inspecting them
for their annuals. Anything I didn't like I drilled out the rivets,
took out the part and fixed it right. That is what the plans tell you
to do, Van's marketing hype aside. Comparing the mistakes the QB had
vs what the average builder is going to do, is kind of a toss-up. So
it comes down to whether you want to blame yourself or Van's
subcontractor? If you think that because you built it yourself it is
safer to take your family in than the Quick build kits, you are
deluding yourself.
Kelly
fiberglass hell
A&P/IA

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM, <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net> wrote:
Quote:
I read all the time on this list and the VAF forum about problems with the
fast build kits after they are received.   Granted, most are build
correctly,,,, but what do you guy's expect from products built in third
world countries from workers with questionable skills, chewing Khat and high
as a kite making wages that aren't much better than a bowl of rice a day?
No way I would ever risk my life, let alone family or friends flying behind
questionable quality, some of which can not even be examined when received.

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell,  MI

dlm34077(at)q.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

My aircraft contains QB wings (#24)and QB fuselage (#Cool . Now have 400TT. IIRC there was very little that I could not inspect. My QB tanks do not leak. Your statements about foreign workers sounds right out of a union management's playbook. I lived and worked outside the USA before retirement and by far the most skilled craftsman in the Middle East and Far East are the Phillipinos. Their work was "bought" by skilled Americans. We trusted these foreign workers for a lot of complex and difficult tasks on projects a lot more costly and important than these aircraft. I trust these foreign workers enough to have purchased a new Honda Accord and a new Kia Forte.

One only needs to look at the before and after pictures of 1940s/2010s Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and Detroit Hiroshima and Nagasaki are modern cities and Detroit is abandoned shacks and burnt out buildings. Google modern Detroit and modern Hiroshima. More depends on the quality of administration than the perceived inadequacies of the workforce.

After seeing Kelly's post, the $8 an hour in the Philippines equates to $16000 per year. The projected cost of $8 per hour includes the construction, transportation, inspection and profit. The average wage in the Philippines is closer to $1 an hour. If the workers are getting even $2 per hour they are doing quite well. In 1980, Pilipino bus drivers in the Middle East were housed, fed and medicated at no charge and received $1000 salary per month. They were also performing domestic tasks for $5 per hour in their spare time. When a driver completed his 2 year contract, he went home with $30k-$50k and lived quite well. Some started other businesses.

As Kelly suggests inspect and fix if desired. In my case there was very little to correct. The QB tanks don't leak but I did not remove them to install a stall warning and passengers do not stand on the tanks. The only thing I regret on the QB wings is the inability to install extra tanks when under construction. I may yet install additional outboard tanks.

[quote] ---

gengrumpy(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

I echo Dave's comments on the QBs. Mine came in 2005 and I have (thus far) have had no issues with them. And the quality of both the wings and fuselage was outstanding!

grumpy
do not archive

On Feb 28, 2011, at 9:09 PM, DLM wrote:
[quote]My aircraft contains QB wings (#24)and QB fuselage (#Cool . Now have 400TT. IIRC there was very little that I could not inspect. My QB tanks do not leak. Your statements about foreign workers sounds right out of a union management's playbook. I lived and worked outside the USA before retirement and by far the most skilled craftsman in the Middle East and Far East are the Phillipinos. Their work was "bought" by skilled Americans. We trusted these foreign workers for a lot of complex and difficult tasks on projects a lot more costly and important than these aircraft. I trust these foreign workers enough to have purchased a new Honda Accord and a new Kia Forte.

One only needs to look at the before and after pictures of 1940s/2010s Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and Detroit Hiroshima and Nagasaki are modern cities and Detroit is abandoned shacks and burnt out buildings. Google modern Detroit and modern Hiroshima. More depends on the quality of administration than the perceived inadequacies of the workforce.

After seeing Kelly's post, the $8 an hour in the Philippines equates to $16000 per year. The projected cost of $8 per hour includes the construction, transportation, inspection and profit. The average wage in the Philippines is closer to $1 an hour. If the workers are getting even $2 per hour they are doing quite well. In 1980, Pilipino bus drivers in the Middle East were housed, fed and medicated at no charge and received $1000 salary per month. They were also performing domestic tasks for $5 per hour in their spare time. When a driver completed his 2 year contract, he went home with $30k-$50k and lived quite well. Some started other businesses.

As Kelly suggests inspect and fix if desired. In my case there was very little to correct. The QB tanks don't leak but I did not remove them to install a stall warning and passengers do not stand on the tanks. The only thing I regret on the QB wings is the inability to install extra tanks when under construction. I may yet install additional outboard tanks.

[quote]---

rleffler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

“I trust these foreign workers enough to have purchased a new Honda Accord and a new Kia Forte”

While I can’t speak for KIA, I can for the Honda Accord.  The Accord is built in Marysville, OH and built with a local workforce.   Many of the parts are also manufactured in the US, such as the engine, which is manufactured in Anna, OH.  The Accords built in Marysville are exported to over 100 countries, including Japan.   While I don’t build cars for a living, I do work at Honda America Manufacturing at the Marysville location.  Thanks for buying a Honda.

Bob
Do Not Archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of DLM
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: fuel leak

My aircraft contains QB wings (#24)and QB fuselage (#Cool . Now have 400TT. IIRC there was very little that I could not inspect. My QB tanks do not leak. Your statements about foreign workers sounds right out of a union management's playbook. I lived and worked outside the USA before retirement and by far the most skilled craftsman in the Middle East and Far East are the Phillipinos. Their work was "bought" by skilled Americans. We trusted these foreign workers for a lot of complex and difficult tasks on projects a lot more costly and important than these aircraft. I trust these foreign workers enough to have purchased a new Honda Accord and a new Kia Forte.

[quote]
---

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: fuel leak Reply with quote

Didn't mean to get you all worked up about quickbuilds. It doesn't matter who dose the tanks, sometimes they leak. The only thing I am complaining about is Van's attitude and BS about the proseal getting gummy when exposed to air. Go ahead and get back to you protesting in Wisconsin.

From: "davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net" <davidsoutpost(at)comcast.net>
Sent: Mon, February 28, 2011 4:04:49 PM
Subject: Re: fuel leak

p {margin:0;} I read all the time on this list and the VAF forum about problems with the fast build kits after they are received. Granted, most are build correctly,,,, but what do you guy's expect from products built in third world countries from workers with questionable skills, chewing Khat and high as a kite making wages that aren't much better than a bowl of rice a day? No way I would ever risk my life, let alone family or friends flying behind questionable quality, some of which can not even be examined when received.

David Clifford

RV-10 Builder
Howell, MI

[quote] [b][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: