Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail-slides etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard.goode(at)russiana

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Tail-slides etc Reply with quote

Obviously some useful stuff here, but also a lot of hot air!

Tail-slides

Tail-slides are approved in the Yak-52. It was designed as an advanced level military trainer AND aerobatic aircraft, and was expected to perform a complete spectrum of manoeuvres, including tail-slides.

BUT, the pilots performing them were doing so in a controlled environment; were properly instructed before any new manoeuvres were attempted. As such a tail-slide is a perfectly safe manoeuvre. BUT, IF a 52 tail-slide is mishandled; the stick released; the controls allowed to slam against their stops, then serious structural damage CAN occur. In particular there can be a problem with the elevator balance weight – hence the restriction.

But this is a restriction on inept pilots rather than a failing of the aircraft.

Flight manuals

Again, it should be remembered that these aircraft were operated in a totally different environment to that in which they are operated in the West today. As such there was no flight manual given with each aircraft – indeed the manuals were treated as a form of ‘State Secret’ and were not allowed to be removed from State airfields.

Further, there is no such thing as an ‘official’ flight manual for the 52. When researching how flight manuals for the 52 treated the issue of 52 spinning (and spin problems) I found seven different flight manuals and indeed with differing instructions in different areas. However the differences were more in what certain manuals left out rather than contradictions between different manuals.

Approval of modifications

It is incorrect to say that Yakovlev Design Bureau approved the automotive spark plug conversion or bag tanks. We have worked closely with Yakovlev for over 20 years, and, as a principle, they will never approve Western modifications.

We obtained approval for the excellent plug conversion modification by Denis from EASA (the overall European FAA), and subsequently the UK CAA.

We have been able to obtain YDB approval for long-range tanks in 50 and 52, but these have been ‘wet’ additional wing tanks, and done specifically to a YDB design.

I hope this helps!

Best regards

Richard

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Herefordshire
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Tail-slides etc Reply with quote

Thank you Richard and Robert,
I will take my crow now…feathers and all. I will seek out a YAK 52 POH that is more recent than 1995 since the one I have states tail slides are prohibited. As I thumb through it, it does not refer to the pendulum either but then again as I said it is an older translated version. Better yet, I’ll put a line through that entry and add Robert’s post to update it.
I stand corrected on the on the spark plug conversion certifying agency as well as the tanks. I am lucky to live in the US with the experimental show category thus avoiding all the hand ringing. Can’t say much for the rest of our current state of National Affairs though but this is not the forum for that anyway.
So the last retching sound you heard was me choking down the last feather of that black assed crow…
Great airplanes though…the 50 is even better.
Cheers, it is happy hour somewhere in the world right now!
Doc

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard Goode
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 6:55 AM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Tail-slides etc

Obviously some useful stuff here, but also a lot of hot air!

Tail-slides

Tail-slides are approved in the Yak-52. It was designed as an advanced level military trainer AND aerobatic aircraft, and was expected to perform a complete spectrum of manoeuvres, including tail-slides.

BUT, the pilots performing them were doing so in a controlled environment; were properly instructed before any new manoeuvres were attempted. As such a tail-slide is a perfectly safe manoeuvre. BUT, IF a 52 tail-slide is mishandled; the stick released; the controls allowed to slam against their stops, then serious structural damage CAN occur. In particular there can be a problem with the elevator balance weight – hence the restriction.

But this is a restriction on inept pilots rather than a failing of the aircraft.

Flight manuals

Again, it should be remembered that these aircraft were operated in a totally different environment to that in which they are operated in the West today. As such there was no flight manual given with each aircraft – indeed the manuals were treated as a form of ‘State Secret’ and were not allowed to be removed from State airfields.

Further, there is no such thing as an ‘official’ flight manual for the 52. When researching how flight manuals for the 52 treated the issue of 52 spinning (and spin problems) I found seven different flight manuals and indeed with differing instructions in different areas. However the differences were more in what certain manuals left out rather than contradictions between different manuals.

Approval of modifications

It is incorrect to say that Yakovlev Design Bureau approved the automotive spark plug conversion or bag tanks. We have worked closely with Yakovlev for over 20 years, and, as a principle, they will never approve Western modifications.

We obtained approval for the excellent plug conversion modification by Denis from EASA (the overall European FAA), and subsequently the UK CAA.

We have been able to obtain YDB approval for long-range tanks in 50 and 52, but these have been ‘wet’ additional wing tanks, and done specifically to a YDB design.

I hope this helps!

Best regards

Richard

Richard Goode Aerobatics
Rhodds Farm
Lyonshall
Herefordshire
HR5 3LW
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0) 1544 340120
Fax: +44 (0) 1544 340129
www.russianaeros.com
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: