Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aircraft door preference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

.........................Aircraft door preference................................

I'm finishing sowing down my new grass strip. With that done, phase two is adding a new aircraft door to my quonset where my Kolb Firestar is kept.

Would appreciate opinions on what is the best door for a 8' x 30' opening and why ? Pro's and Con's please........ : Idea 's

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Would appreciate opinions on what is the best door for a 8' x 30' opening
and why ? Pro's and Con's please........ : [Idea] 's

Ah......I don't know. Can't afford a door for my hanger.

Doorless at Gantt International Airport, Alabama.

john h
mkIII
hauck's holler, alabama

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

On 5/2/2011 7:38 PM, Dennis Thate wrote:
Quote:

.........................Aircraft door preference................................

I'm finishing sowing down my new grass strip. With that done, phase two is adding a new aircraft door to my quonset where my Kolb Firestar is kept.

Would appreciate opinions on what is the best door for a 8' x 30' opening and why ? Pro's and Con's please........ : [Idea] 's
That's a little like asking which airplane is best.

Are you buying, or building? If building, what materials are you
comfortable with? Do you intend to have a powered opener, or must it be
manually operated? Do you have room for the door to slide out of the way
to the side of the hanger, or must it stay within the width of the hangar?

Charlie

andysheila(at)eltopia.com

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Dennis , build a folding door with equal width vertical section .Top runs in
a channel guided with nylon rollers. Bottom carries the weight on bearings
[called trucks] which ride on a 1/4 inch angle iron affixed to the concrete
slab. No electric, no ice, no maintenance.Can be opened partially. Folds
back and is hinged at the door jam , out of the way and entirely safe. Andy
in Mesa, WASH.. WN31
---

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Andy,

That sounds interesting...can you post a photo or two !

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Dennis,

Charlie asked all the logical questions we'd need to know in
order to properly answer your question, but before we get a
little more info, I thought I'd let you know what I did for my shop
that I built 2 1/2 years ago.

My shop is 40 X 48.  The front wall with the big opening (where the
big door is) has two 30" wing walls, leaving an opening of around
35'.  The height of the opening is just a couple of inches under 10'.

I went to my local steel sales outfit, and bought lots of 2" x 2" sq.
tubing......enough to build a 10' x 35' rectangular frame, with about
8 vertical supports of the same tubing.   Then, I welded on little
"L" brackets every 2' o.c., and installed wooden 2"x 2" studs, effectively
giving me a complete wall of 24" o.c. studs.  I installed vinyl siding
on the outside of the door that matched the rest of the siding on my
shop.

At this point, I have a 2" thick, 10' tall by 35' wide door, covered in
matching vinyl siding.  When I began building my house, I made a deal
with my insulation contractor to blown in the fiberglass into the 2" thick
cavities.  He stapled a fabric on the inside of the door, and filled the cavities
with blown fiberglass loose material.

Now, for the opener;  I did some eBay shopping, and found some guy
selling (2) 2" x 60" hydraulic cylinders.  They were used, but in pretty good
condition.  IIRC, I paid about $175 total for the pair.  Next, I grabbed my
latest edition of Northern Tool, and found the 220V, fully self-contained
hydraulic pump and tank, all in one unit.  Seems like it was around $500,
more or less.
  I got some 1/2" steel pipe, and some fittings, plus a couple of expensive
hydraulic lines made ($110), and plumbed the whole arrangement.  Add in
the electrical wire/plug and misc., and that about does it!

So, in the final analysis, I've got a hydraulically operated 10' x 35' insulated
and covered shop door.  Total cost.....maybe around $2000 or so.

Very nice to have such a big door!!    Photos upon request.

Mike Welch
[quote][b]

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Mike,

Photos would be nice !

Thanks
Here is what I'm looking at, I can get the steel for cost and mfg it my self. I just don't want a design that sticks past the quonset, purely for aesthetic reasons. Prefer it fold internally.

http://www.bifold.com/photo_roundroof.php

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Another good option .... Out Swinging Doors

Swinging Doors.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.66 KB
 Viewed:  11924 Time(s)

Swinging Doors.jpg

Mike Welch

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Dennis,

What size opening are you talking about?

Mike Welch
Do not archive
[quote][b]

flypoker(at)windstream.ne

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

I have stacked sliding doors. Cheap and easy to build.
Jerry
---

andysheila(at)eltopia.com

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Here are some pictures. I had the steel company cut the 2" X 2" tubing to
desired lengths from banded 20 ft stock on their band saw. Welded one frame
up and used it as a pattern for the rest with C clamps. Trucks are easily
made with 6 sealed bearings each.
They run on 2, with 4 to guide. Short pieces of angle iron and short axles
easily made with a drill press and a hack saw. Hinges are steel pipe and
accommodating steel pin. If you want to be fancy you could make brass
bushings. Top hinge corresponds to the other two except it has a nylon
roller which runs inside the full length channel under the weather flashing.
Belting on the bottom keeps mice out.

3rd of series showing door frame inside. Sorry it is out of focus.
---

Hangar_door_frame.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.49 MB
 Viewed:  11924 Time(s)

Hangar_door_frame.JPG

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Hydro Swing requires no reinforcing of the structure,and are built to your dimensions. Only installed one,but it was quick .
G.Aman

--

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

http://www.dhc-2.com/Monthan_Memories.html
Thanks Mike,

I'd call that an accordion door, much like my closet door in my house. Has some nice advantages !

ACCORDIAN.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.67 KB
 Viewed:  11865 Time(s)

ACCORDIAN.jpg

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and photos;

I can go up , but I can't go wider. So it will be external Bi-Fold or Swing-out style.

Idea

Up not out.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.05 KB
 Viewed:  11821 Time(s)

Up not out.jpg

ceengland(at)bellsouth.ne

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

On 5/4/2011 7:19 AM, Dennis Thate wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the input and photos;

I can up , but I can't go wider. So it will be external Bi-Fold or Swing-out style.
Here's what I did for a 30 foot opening, with intent to do something

similar on the 42 foot opening next to it. The tall tube is a
counterweight. It's offset in front of the door due to structural
constraints of the building. If you can put the door on the face of your
building, the counterweight(s) can be an extension of the two end
vertical members of the door itself. The hinge would be at the top edge
of the door. With a round-top building, it's much simpler to get the
counterweight arms to clear the roof. This door is constructed of 6"
aluminum irrigation tubing (kinda Kolb related, I guess...), with
aluminum gussets made from old highway signs & assembled with both
bucked rivets & pulled rivets. Skin is 'SunTuff' from Home Depot; lots
of natural light in the day time. The door weighs around 500-600 lbs, &
the bare frame was light enough for 2 people to tilt it up in place for
hinge attachment.

It takes about a 20-30 lb push to start it opening. If you build one
with the weights as extended verticals, it would take much less to get
it moving. The horizontal bar is manually pinned when the door is fully
open to keep it from acting like a kite in the wind.

Charlie

door_outside.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.3 KB
 Viewed:  11806 Time(s)

door_outside.jpg

door_inside.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.46 KB
 Viewed:  11806 Time(s)

door_inside.jpg

capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

I PUT A 40 FOOT HYDROSWING DOOR ON MY 45 FOOT QUANSET HUT , IT WAS SELF SUPPORTING AND THE MOST PLEASURABLE PART OF THE HANGER THE DOOR IS BEAUTIFUL EVERYTHING RIGHT DOWN TO THE HYDRAULICS WAS PERFECT IT WORKS GREAT ---NOT CHEAP BUT PERFECT---- IHOPE THE RUMER ABOUT THEM GOING UNDER IS NOT TRUE THEY ARE A GREAT BUNCH OF PROPLE.

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Tue, May 3, 2011 9:02:00 AM
Subject: Re: Aircraft door preference

Hydro Swing requires no reinforcing of the structure,and are built to your dimensions. Only installed one,but it was quick . G.Aman

--

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

Charlie...Thats the most unique door feature I've seen so far . Thanks for sharing !

The flying season is upon us soon, so I have to get rolling on this soon. After looking into many possibilities and options, we've chosen to MFG our own Bi-Fold/Hi-Fold door using the latest features of many different designs.

Our total cost estimate will compare to a low cost roll-up door. Esthetics is important so we plan to make it a showcase door to enhance the looks of the building, so I'll post a couple photos when it is completed.

Thanks Again all for your interest !

captainron1(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Aircraft door preference Reply with quote

I think that would depend on the budget, my hanger door is a bifold door electric and I like it. Only gripe is the slow opening and closing speed. In the open position the door has about an 6 foot overhang which is great sometimes for shade and rain. So I recommend it. A slider side opening door is also good except you gotta push and pull and got to keep the wheels and tracks lubricated and free of crap. Also the bigger the door the better off you are, the worst thing is to try to thread and airplane through a needle, hanger rush is proportional to lack of space. Bigger is better, and powered is better than manual.
I think an oversized home garage door with a remote door opener may also be a good inexpensive alternative, and its something you can install yourself. A 3 car garage door may be able to work for a Kolb.
---- Dennis Thate <retroman(at)frontier.com> wrote:

=============

........................Aircraft door preference................................

Would appreciate opinions on what is the best door for a 8' x 30' opening and why ? Pro's and Con's please........ : [Idea] 's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: