Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rép. : Zenith701801-List: 701 Streamlined Strut Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
royjp(at)yahoo.ca

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Rép. : Zenith701801-List: 701 Streamlined Strut Covers Reply with quote

Good post Doug,,,very interesting. Thanks

Jean-Paul

--- En date de : Dim, 15.5.11, MacDonald Doug <dougsnash(at)yahoo.com> a écrit :
Quote:

De : MacDonald Doug <dougsnash(at)yahoo.com>
Objet : 701 Streamlined Strut Covers
À : "701 list" <zenith701801-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: dimanche 15 mai 2011 08 h 22

--> Zenith701801-List message posted by: MacDonald Doug <dougsnash(at)yahoo.com (dougsnash(at)yahoo.com)>

I finished installing the streamlined strut covers on my CH-701 yesterday. Many 701 builders suggested this was good for between five and eight MPH increase in cruise. Honestly, I'm not sure I got even one MPH cruise increase.

Where I did get a significant improvement was in the slow speed end of the cruve. Before the plane would start to get a bit mushy with a climbout speed of about 40 MPH indicated. Not ready to stall, just not as solid as say 55 MPH. Now I can pull the nose up to 30 MPH and the plane feels rock solid.

I did some stalls with this new configuration and was amazed to be falling vertically with almost no forward movement. This was an illusion caused by a stiff headwind but was still "Totally Cool." The stall comes on with minor buffet at about 20 MPH indicated with no flaps. Essentially below the white arc on my airspeed indicator.

Another advantage to the strut covers is they look fantastic. I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out but am thoroughly impressed. I think I'm going to take some pictures today.

So the question is, am I missing something that caused the limited increase in cruise performance? I have the 80hp Rotax with a three blade Warp Drive prop. The blades are 70 in diameter, have nickle leading edges and are set to about 8 deg. I'm cruising about 5200 RPM at an indicated 78 MPH. Full power climbout gives me about 5400 RPM and wide open straight and level gives me about 5800 RPM.  I didn't try a speed run last night at full power because of the stiff wind.

Any suggestions other than removing my slats? They are staying where they are.

Doug MacDonald
CH-701 from scra="http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List" target=_blank>h

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: