Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

180 turn back to airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronlee

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: 180 turn back to airport Reply with quote

Today after reading an article in the AOP magazine about the safe altitude needed on take off to do a 180 land back on the runway in the event of an engine failure I gave it a try. I could do it time and again in under 300 feet. I am wondering if any one else has tested this and if so what their results were.

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

John Bolding

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: 180 turn back to airport Reply with quote

Be REAL careful about expecting the rate of decent you get at idle to be the
same as what happens when the prop stops, I had an engine out in my RV3 that
I had flown for 500 hrs and done LOTS of idle power landings simulating
engine out from 2-3000 feet, got pretty good at hitting the first third of
the runway. When I had to do a dead stick 'cause the Lyc took a siesta I
had to land on the road next to the airport 'cause the rate of sink was so
much different from idle power.

LO&SLO (usta be High&Fast)

John

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

sonar1@cox.net

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 180 turn back to airport Reply with quote

I read that article too, and emailed Barry that I could do a 180 in a Cessna 172 in less than 300 feet. Haven't tried it in the 701, but would guess it to be even quicker. The email exchange is below:............Fred

Hi Fred,

As I indicated in my article, there might be a variety of turnaround methods that work in different airplanes for different pilots. I could not, however, recommend many of these for the average general aviation pilot. It could easily prove to be counterproductive.

Many thanks for taking the time to write.

Best wishes,

-- Barry

At 11:16 AM 4/5/2011, you wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 10:04 AM
To: pubs
Subject: Fw: Letter to editor

-----Original Message-----
Subject: Letter to editor

The "Unconventional Wisdom" article by Barry Schiff on returning to the field after engine failure was very good. I have long thought that "land straight ahead" was stressed too often.

Not trying to preach to the experts, but I have practiced a different technique in a C-172. If you push forward to zero gravity, and use large control inputs while "falling", you can reverse direction without offset in about 200 feet! The descent keeps up the speed, and the controls are very effective at zero g.

Not suggesting that this be taught, as it is a rather violent maneuver, but then so is an off field landing.

Fred Sanford 1 Santa Cruz Santa Barbara, Ca. 93109

sonar1(at)cox.net

ejessee

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 180 turn back to airport Reply with quote

I too have practiced 180 turns from climb-out attitude. I can make the turn in <300 ft. also. I have heard that a 701 with a 3 blade prop glides better without the prop spinning. Have never had the guts to try it.

Not hard to believe... glides like a brick with the prop spinning.

ProWash

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 180 turn back to airport Reply with quote

It's True!

I didn't shut the engine off. The opportunity to test this theory presented itself at about 1800 AGL. It glides noticeably better with the prop stopped.

The quiet is very disturbing though. All ended well.

Richard

30 HRS into Phase One testing
Do Not Archive
ronlee

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 180 turn back to airport Reply with quote

I am quite sure the key to doing a 180 and not losing lots of altitude in a 701 is the fact that it turns around (180) so quickly. If it didn't turn so quick its bad glide ratio would eat up lots of altitude in a hurry.

cffd(at)pgrb.com

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: 180 turn back to airport Reply with quote

Remember a 180 only reverses direction it could take a lot more to get lined up with the runway, otherwise pick a good spot that can be easily reached. I have done this at altitude and would not try it with at least 600 feet.
Chuck D.
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: