Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's John?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Hi Folks:

Just had an Angus Burger at McDonald's in beautiful downtown Laramie, WY. If you have never visited Laramie, you have not missed a thing. They do have a good FBO with computer, but the monitor is out of focus. When I sat down to read my email and check weather, I thought something was wrong with my eyes. Maybe I will get used to everything being fuzzy.

Got out of Goodland, KS, at 1100 this morning. Was grateful for flyable weather as far as Laramie. Did about 260 miles in 3 hours. Last 40 miles went from 110 to 60 mph ground speed. That is depressing. Starting to get accustomed to flying in higher winds, like 15 to 25, gusting to 35 mph. The second day of flying, these winds were making me very uncomfortable. I have only gotten two full days of flying out of 6. Normally, this trip takes a total of 4 days. Worst case, up until this trip, was 5 dzys. Will be setting a record this time.

Last Wednesday I got out of Neosho, MO, at 0700. Flew two hours and landed in very high winds at Rick Girard's airstrip. Spent a couple hours with Rick and the wind started slacking off enough to get back in the air. Refueled at Great Bend, KS, then headed out for Goodland. I was within 15 minutes of Goodland Airport when I very large black thunderstorm hit Goodland. I was about 25 miles SE and the winds were very strong and turbulent. I had bypassed Oakley Airport a while back, but couldn't get back there in the headwind. Kept a nice slow left hand turn to the south until I found a good section of dirt road and a north/south intersection. All the road, mostly dirt, are orientated NS/EW. The wind was honking out of the SE, making for an interesting landing on the muddy road. There was a farm house at the intersection, and I followed a truck into the yard and up next to a barn. Told the farmer my problem and he asked me to move over to a wind break of cedar trees. Got the mkIII double tied down before the thunderstorm hit. Spent a couple hours with Kim and Shaun in their home until the rain slacked off, then headed for Goodland. Nice to know there are folks that will still take strangers right off the road and into their homes.

Weather my be doable in the morning if I get out of here really early, like first light. I'll do some more homework on the weather before I decide on my route to the Rock House. There is an alternate route through Pocatello, ID, that I might be able to do, or my original planned route through Evanston, WY, Heber City, UT, Provo, UT, and Wendover, UT.

Will have to play this trip by ear, one leg at a time, as weather and winds permit, but I will eventually get to Larry and Karen Cottrel's.

Physically, for a 72 year old, I am doing great despite the bad wind and weather. All these weather days play games mentally. I have to be very careful not to made dumb decisions. Sometimes it is very difficult not to be dumb. Wink

Having fun on my first long XC in two years,

john h
mkIII
Laramie, WY

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Titus, Alabama
Jimmy Young

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's John? Reply with quote

Way to go John, keep doing what you do best.

Post your progress to us when you can, as I know I look forward to finding out where you are at & I'm sure the rest of us do to. Enjoy!

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Dennis Thate

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's John? Reply with quote

John,

I hope you are taking many pictures of your barnstorming Odyssey. I can hardly wait for the return sequel. I think I'll dust off my old VCR of 'The Great Waldo Pepper', and see if you've raised the bar any from that hair-raising outside loop.

Regards & Safe Flying ! Wink

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Your a man with Great experience and knowledge John I am sure you will make the best decisions of your trip
I wish I could be flying there along with you , I really like to hear your daily progress

Broken Mk3Classic Building Mk3Xtra
Ellery Batchelder Jr.

--

Arksey(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

John,
thanks for the update....wonderful about you landing on the road and the people taking you in....your are doing good....keep it up....fly safe....jim swan

jim swan firestar ll 503 michigan
[quote][b]

John Bickham

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Where's John? Reply with quote

Quote:
The second day of flying, these winds were making me very uncomfortable.

Knowing John H, this is probably a huge understatement! His skill and tolerance for flying in adverse wind conditions puts a lot of us to shame. Still enjoy looking at that video of your 50 foot roll on your arrival to the Rock House a couple of years ago.

Keep up the "smart" flying. Give Ms Karen a hug for me.

Speaking of being smart, don't trust Larry's wind advisory for your arrival at the Rock House. His "wind rock" is not calibrated!!!

Thanks for keeping us posted on your adventure. Hope to join in again when I can.

John Bickham
Mark III-C w/ 912UL
St. Francisville, LA

I know many pilots and a few true aviators. There is a distinct difference that I have the greatest respect for.
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Hard to believe it is almost June. Temps just above freezing and winds are horrific and from the West.

I've researched routes through the south, central, and north. Doesn't look good until the middle of next week, anywhere, for flying litle airplanes.

I don't want to leave a comfortable place and take a chance of getting weathered in at an airport with no facilities. Laramie is not the best place in the world, but I have use of a courtesy car, food, and motels.

Probably end up here in Laramie for the next 5 days. Not worth the chance of getting hung up in the Rockies with freezing temps and howling winds.

john h
Laramie, WY

Titus, Alabama
zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

John,
If it's any consolation,been back from FL for 4 weeks here in Oh.3 flyable days so far and 2 spent mowing the hayfield that formerly was our airfield.1 airworthy day.Hope your conditions improve quickly.Stay smart
G.Aman MK3c jabiru 2200a, grass farmer in Ohio

--

williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

John- Too bad you didn't come up this way. We have had 3 or 4 days of nice flying weather. You out to be working for "Storm Chasers".

Bill Sullivan
      Windsor Locks, Ct.
      75 degrees, light overcast, and the lawn is a hayfield.
[quote][b]

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

I was prepared for normal conditions that I have encountered on my frequent flights West, but not for winter weather we are having now. It is 39F and blowing hard.

Looks like it may be Wednesday before I can even think of getting out of Laramie and on to the Rock House, which is only 8 hours flight time away, under normal conditions.

Neighbor called me yesterday to let me know a large hickory tree came down in a storm, but caused no damage. Seems the ill weather is everywhere.

john h
mkIII
Laramie, WY

Titus, Alabama
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

John -

Makes me shudder to read your posts - the weather couldn't be worse for our type of flying. So glad you're in Laramie and able to sit it out in a motel, with a courtesy car. I remember flying back from the Rock House and getting weathered in at Burns, OR for 3 days due to high winds. Boring, boring, boring - but safe!

I haven't talked to Larry, so don't know what the weather is doing down in southeastern Oregon, but here in western Oregon it's rain, rain and more rain.

Wishing you all the best, and glad you're not tempted to "just do it".

Arty
Sandy, Oregon

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/uladventure2009.htm

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"

Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

--- On Fri, 5/27/11, jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:
Hard to believe it is almost June.  Temps just above freezing and winds are horrific and from the West.

I've researched routes through the south, central, and north.  Doesn't look good until the middle of next week, anywhere, for flying litle airplanes

Kirkds

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Where's John? Reply with quote

That's what guitars are for. Pickin and waitin.

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Note: If you forward this email, please delete the forwarding history, which includes my email address.
[quote] ---

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

We are showing rain through about mid week. Our weatherman said earlier that the current weather patterns would not change until June. I hope that he is right. Forecast show a drop to 20 percent chance by next Tuesday, and through the week.

Larry

[quote] ---

John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

A RANS S6 and S7 flew in this morning, early, from SLC. At 13,500 feet they had a ground speed of 175 mph. Both of them were near frozen when they got on the ground. They were headed to Chicago.

No way I would or could buck those kinds of headwinds. Never get to the next airport.

This is a winter storm the end of May. ;-(

Not even tempted to try to make it to Rawlins, WY, or any place else.

john h
mkIII
Laramie, WY

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Folks:

I think we will just have to wait it out until all the bad weather gets flushed out of the NW. That should be about next Wed. Wink

The nice thing about all this bad weather and waiting is the fun and good times we will have when we finally meet up at the Rock House again. Times like these are priceless.

All the folks I have met and return to visit are the result of flying my Kolb cross country over the years. You meet the nicest people flying Kolbs.

john h
mkIII
Laramie, WY

Titus, Alabama
zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Rick,
Weather has been putrid.Flew today for the first time in 3 weeks.There was moss on the north end of the MK3.It NEVER has set for this long.
Welcome home!
G.Aman MK3C

--

gtaylor35918(at)roadrunne

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Where are you located in Ohio?
Greg
[quote] ---

zeprep251(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Where's John? Reply with quote

Greg,
Akron, 35miles south of Cleveland between AKR and CAK May field 1D4 2350 sod E&W
Gary.Aman MK3c Jabiru 2200A 615 hrs

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: