Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whirl Wind Prop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k7wx

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Whirl Wind Prop Reply with quote

Gents,

Now have about 20 hours on the WhirlWind V530-WT composite blades on a zero time M-14P engine. Coming from the Housai-6 and those Chinese metal blades, this has been major step up. Here is some of my experience.

This is a big prop. 8 feet, 2.5 inches in length, but relatively light weight.

Blade angle is critical. At 21.5 degrees, was only able to get 84% RPM on takeoff. At 17.5 degrees it gave 98% static RPM and 101% on takeoff. It was interesting to chart the increase in the max static RPM with each small change in the blade angle. Almost linear. At 17.5 degrees, full aft on the prop and throttle at 120 knots, it will go down to 56%.

The blade angle is easy to adjust with the tool that comes from WhirlWind and a digital inclinometer, such as the Sears Craftsman Digital Torpedo Level. There is also a very clever iPhone 4 app that does the same thing called TiltMeter, which is equally accurate to within 0.1 degree and a lot less expensive.

As expected, this is an amazing climb prop.

In formation, I keep the prop between 72% and 78%, depending on how responsive I want the CJ to be.

A few weeks ago on the way to a fly-in, did a side-by-side comparison with Munchie who has a CJ with the new M-14P Inc. V530C composite prop from Jill Gernetzke. From cruse power to everything forward, we both accelerated quickly, but Scott was able to pull away from me. The initial impression was that Scott's CJ with Jill's prop was also a little more responsive. At cruise, his power settings were also a little lower than mine for the same airspeed. If I had to do this again, I would seriously consider Jill's composite prop design, which is about 4 inches larger than the standard V-530 blades and 1/2 inch shorter than the Whirlwind V530-WT.

I'll try to record some typical power settings at various airspeeds on the next long cross country flight.

Warren
N464TW
On Jan 18, 2011, at 2:37 AM, ssssskippy wrote:

Quote:

Just an other question:

Did you notice a real improvement of the cruising speed? any numbers?

Thanks

Olivier

-----Message d'origine-----
De : owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com
[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] De la part de Warren Hill
Envoyé : mardi 18 janvier 2011 03:13
À : yak-list(at)matronics.com
Objet : Re: Whirl Wind Prop

Oliver,

Flew my CJ-6A with the new Whirl Wind V530-WT composite blades for the first
time on Saturday. Some observations...

• Performance is very good in the climb.

• Not a surprise, there is drag at reduced power / RPM. Landing required
some power to maintain airspeed. No problem, just different.

• May require some hub changes. When Bill Blackwell did the first test
flight last week, RPMs jumped up past 160 KIAS. I noticed the same. Jill and
Carl will chase this for me.

Initial experience is very positive. Here is a picture with the airplane now
back in my hanger at FFZ.

Warren Hill
N464TW

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: