Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear Mounting Pads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madriver42(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Gear Mounting Pads Reply with quote

OK Listers,

After reading to all of your ideas and having a couple of conversations of other's thoughts by email I decided to change out the "old style rubber" pads on my 701 with the "new polyurethane material" as supplied by Zenith..

To start with the plane has 13.2 hours on the tach.  The pads have been in place for about two years - noticed when I was starting to do slow taxi tests before the first flight last fall the gear was loose so I diligently tightened the brackets down until the gear seemed snug. 

How snug is right??? This has  been asked many time before with no answer except to tighten up things until the gear won't move fore and aft. For me this was quite tight into the rubber.  Also I've only flown off of hard surface with light braking - no off road stuff ... yet!!!

Then on inspection, during pre flights, I noticed that the rubber that was showing was beginning to crack where the tension was applied at the edge of the bottom bracket.  That's when I started to ask questions and research the past articles.  I had already been aware of the "weak link" and I got some new pads from Zenith after talking with Roger - but as we all are want my efforts were to get into the air so delayed putting on the pads.

Attached four pics and you can see why I'm glad I took the two hours to get-er-done. (Sorry they are out of sequence)  IMHO, if I had a 701  with the old pads I'd get out there and get on my back and take a good look.  The majority of the delamination and such is not noticeable until you take it apart so be guided by that thought.  I'd be interested in what everyone finds.  Don't know how this would have affected airworthiness but looks like something that needs attention.

One response stated that they change out the pads at each condition inspection - rest assured I will be keeping a close "jaundiced" eye on things. 

Really straight forward; borrowed a motorcycle jack, fit up some spacers, chocked the nose and off side wheel (you can just see the nonslip chocks I built) and lifted one side till the tire was just off the ground.  Dropped the bracket to the end of the bolt thread travel, lifted the side a little more and took out that side's upper pad.  Inserted the new material pad (from Zenith) and lowered away till the weight was just back on the wheel - then bolted up the lower pad and bracket.

As they say "repeat one thru...ten  for other side"! 

Worked great with no problems and I felt the the plane was stable and if things went terribly wrong if I had not taken the whole gear out of the "channel and bracket"  AND the other side was still mounted that there was really no place for the plane to go.  That's why I opted to do it one side at a time without complete disassembley.

After both sides were done I rolled it back and forth to "normalize" the tracking and all seems well.  Let you know if any other quirks come up.

Anyway, thanks for all of your input.

Still Grinnin

Phil
CH-701
Buhl ID

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List

BUILDCH701_717.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  686.18 KB
 Viewed:  1839 Time(s)

BUILDCH701_717.jpg

BUILDCH701_712.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  703.92 KB

BUILDCH701_712.jpg

BUILDCH701_715.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  684.69 KB

BUILDCH701_715.jpg

BUILDCH701_716.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  680.68 KB

BUILDCH701_716.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: