Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redrocketrider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

Hi kitfox aviators ! Doing a extensive annual and wheel change and looking to possibly install a set of wheel pants that we now have. These puppies' are really of rather dubious size and shape. All you speedster guys, did you see any difference in speed with the wheel pants off and then installed ? thanks for your opinions. Bob and Toodie 4/1200
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

On 6/3/2011 7:05 AM, rtmarshall wrote:
Quote:
These puppies' are really of rather dubious size and shape. All you speedster guys, did you see any difference in speed with the wheel pants off and then installed ?

I'm not a Speedster guy, but my plane slows down about 5 when I put on the wheel pants. Of course, they were made for a DC-3, but they look COOL. (See photo.)

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
Kitfox IV-1200 / 592-C / Warp 3cs / 500 hrs. and grounded

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.64 KB
 Viewed:  10605 Time(s)

4.jpg

redrocketrider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

[quote] Guy, As you say they are very cool, and that was what I suspected but wanted to hear it from a flyer. You have a great looking ship. Thanks for the info. Toodie and Bob

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 10:00 AM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com (kitfox-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: Speed

On 6/3/2011 7:05 AM, rtmarshall wrote:
Quote:
These puppies' are really of rather dubious size and shape. All you speedster guys, did you see any difference in speed with the wheel pants off and then installed ?

I'm not a Speedster guy, but my plane slows down about 5 when I put on the wheel pants. Of course, they were made for a DC-3, but they look COOL. (See photo.)

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA
[b]

pchristensen10(at)austin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

Lookin Good!

Pete
Leander, TX
Kitfox III, 912, Grove

On 6/3/2011 12:00 PM, Guy Buchanan wrote: [quote] On 6/3/2011 7:05 AM, rtmarshall wrote:
Quote:

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA

[b]

cliffh(at)outdrs.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

I had wheele pants on my speedster but I took them off.
In my 58 years of flying, I have seen two airplanes laying on their backs because of wheel pants.
They took off with sleet on the runway and it froze while they were in the air. When they landed the wheels were frozen in the wheel pants and would not turn. It caused the airplanes to roll over on their backs.

Floran Higgins
Helena, Mt.
Speedster
912 ULS
[quote] ---

VIXEN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have a Model 5 long wing Vixen with 912UL. I have flown it for 100 hours always with wheel pants (spats, in some countries) and have had no issues. Always on pavement though. It cruises at 117 to 120 IAS. Maybe I will take them off and see what happens. I always thought they were supposed to "improve" speed.

Don

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM, floran higgins <cliffh(at)outdrs.net (cliffh(at)outdrs.net)> wrote:
[quote] I had wheele pants on my speedster but I took them off.
In my 58 years of flying, I have seen two airplanes laying on their backs because of wheel pants.
They took off with sleet on the runway and it froze while they were in the air. When they landed the wheels were frozen in the wheel pants and would not turn. It caused the airplanes to roll over on their backs.

Floran Higgins
Helena, Mt.
Speedster
912 ULS
[quote] ---

Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

On 6/3/2011 7:53 PM, Don Hudgeon wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I will take them off and see what happens. I always thought they
were supposed to "improve" speed.

Well, it certainly depends on the pants. Modern laminar flow pants only
marginally bigger than the wheels will dramatically reduce drag. Pants
like mine that are turbulent flow and four times the cross sectional
area of the tire don't reduce drag. (Especially with 1/2 the wheel
sticking out anyway!)

Guy Buchanan
Ramona, CA

MichaelGibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

Mine must have been a better fit because when I installed the main
gear pants on my Model IV-1200 Nose-wheeled Speedster (shown here
without the nose wheel pant installed), I picked up something in the
neighborhood of 5-7 knots at cruise power.

Mike G.
Kitfox IV-1200 Speedster
Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

On 6/3/2011 7:53 PM, Don Hudgeon wrote:
>Maybe I will take them off and see what happens. I always thought
>they were supposed to "improve" speed.

Well, it certainly depends on the pants. Modern laminar flow pants
only marginally bigger than the wheels will dramatically reduce
drag. Pants like mine that are turbulent flow and four times the
cross sectional area of the tire don't reduce drag. (Especially with
1/2 the wheel sticking out anyway!)

--

"My airplane is quiet, and for a moment still an alien, still a
stranger to the ground, I am home."

--Richard Bach

N728KF.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.2 KB
 Viewed:  10582 Time(s)

N728KF.JPG

ronlee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Reply with quote

Wheel pants look very nice and work well if you have a speedy airplane. You will gain no utility with wheel pants on a bush that I can think of. By putting them on you will loose a nice place to sit, stand or put your foot on for what ever reason. If you are on rough ground they will shake and rattle around, not good on a bush plane.
Of course if we all thought alike it wold be a very boring world.

Paul A. Franz, P.E.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

On Mon, June 6, 2011 9:54 am, ronlee wrote:
Quote:

Wheel pants look very nice and work well if you have a speedy airplane. You will gain
no utility with wheel pants on a bush that I can think of. By putting them on you will
loose a nice place to sit, stand or put your foot on for what ever reason. If you
are on rough ground they will shake and rattle around, not good on a bush plane.
Of course if we all thought alike it wold be a very boring world.

I have seen an alternative to complete wheel coverage over the top and that is just a
smaller trailing tailcone. I think something like this would allow you to use the tire
as a step and have most if not all of the streamlining gains of full pants. Having
nothing out in front of the tire would eliminate problems of hitting vegetation and
riverbank rocks. When the airplane tail tailwheel on the ground, there still wouldn't
be much ground clearance though.

--
Paul A. Franz, P.E.
PAF Consulting Engineers
Office 425.440.9505
Cell 425.241.1618

Bellevue WA
425.241.1618 Cell
425.440.9505 Office
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Reply with quote

Ten years ago I installed wheel pants on my S5 and noticed an immediate speed improvement. Not a lot, but 3-5 mph at cruise which adds up and saves fuel. I have a farm strip that can be wet and somewhat muddy in the spring time which makes a mess of the airplane, thus the main reason I installed them. No more mess. I leave them on now year around. I don't fly in the winter time so snow and ice is not an issue.
Deke
NE Michigan
S5/Soob/465TT

[quote="redrocketrider"]Hi kitfox aviators ! Doing a extensive annual and wheel change and looking to possibly install a set of wheel pants that we now have. These puppies' are really of rather dubious size and shape. All you speedster guys, did you see any difference in speed with the wheel pants off and then installed ? thanks for your opinions. Bob and Toodie 4/1200
Quote:
[b]

S5c.jpg
 Description:
S5/Subaru
 Filesize:  222.43 KB
 Viewed:  10471 Time(s)

S5c.jpg

Don G

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Speed...Hey Gibbs! Reply with quote

Hey Gibbs!
IS that craft of yours 912 powered?...if so..where did you get that cowl?..looks real nice. I am not far from replacing my mkIV speedster cowl..and would like to have something easier to see around.

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: