Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hgmckay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

In the past there have been numerous discussions on this subject as well as numerous suggestions as to what is causing low oil pressure readings on 912 engines. On April 4 thru April 5 of this year I posted a description of my drop in oil pressure on my 912 UL, and my concern about it. Roger Lee suggested a method to determine if the sender was functioning correctly, or if I had a faulty gauge, or possibly a bad ground. I finally got around to installing Roger’s suggestion and checked a mechanical pressure gauge against the electric VDO pressure gauge in the cockpit. I have three pictures of the set up available for those who are interested. Here is the sequence of events and steps I have taken to find out what the problem is, and my conclusions at this point.

1. While flying in April I noticed a drop in oil pressure as indicated on the VDO cockpit gauge. Drop at cruise was from about 3.8 bar (55.1 psi) to 2.1 bar (30.45 psi).
2. Posted the issue on Matronics, and got numerous suggestions as to the problem.
3. Replaced the oil pressure sending unit with a new one from Lockwood Aviation.
4. Replaced the oil pressure regulator with the new Rotax pressure spring and mushroom head (replaces the old spring and steel ball).
5. After these changes, flew the plane. There were no changes in the oil pressure as seen in the cockpit on the VDO gauge. On startup pressure went to 3.8 bar (55.1 psi) – cold engine, but within one or two minutes pressure was back down to about 2.5 bar (36.25 psi), and continued to drop to 2 bar (29.4 psi). At cruise with oil temp normal the pressure indication was still 2 bar (29.4 psi). Pressure holds at 2.0 to 2.1 bar during flight.
6. Decided to check the pressure using a mechanical gauge per Roger Lee’s suggested method (see photos). I was in the cockpit, and a second person read the mechanical gauge.
7. On start up, the cockpit gauge immediately went to 3.8 bar as usual.
8. Within a minute at 2200 rpm the needle on the mechanical gauge was swinging violently (vibrating) between 55 psi and 75 psi. The cockpit VDO gauge was initially steady at 3.5 bar (50.75 psi) and over about a minute or two the pressure gauge in the cockpit gradually dropped back to about 2.5 bar and then to 2.1 bar (at 2200 rpm).
9. Increased the rpm to 2400, pressure gauge in cockpit held at 2.1 bar (30.45 psi). Mechanical gauge needle was still vibrating between 56 and 60 psi, averaging around 57.5 psi.
10. Increased rpm to 3000, pressure gauge in cockpit held at 2.1 bar (30.45 psi). Mechanical gauge needle was still vibrating between 56 and 60 psi, averaging around 57.5 psi.

Conclusions at this point:

1. I do not have a low oil pressure problem.
2. Can’t explain why I have a 27 psi difference in oil pressure readings of 57.5 psi on the mechanical gauge and 2.1 bar (30.45 psi) on the VDO gauge in the cockpit.
3. If I do not have a low oil pressure problem, what is causing the low reading in the cockpit?
4. It is either a bad gauge, or a bad or partial ground somewhere.
5. Is there a way to check the VDO gauge to see if it is bad. I noticed that the direct mechanical gauge needle constantly vibrated which indicated hydraulic pressure fluctuations which must be coming from the oil pump’s operation. If these pressure fluctuations are normal (I thought the oil pressure regulator was supposed to dampen these out), the oil pressure sending unit must constantly sense these pressure fluctuations. Why are they not seen on the VDO gauge in the cockpit?
6. If there is a way to check the VDO gauge itself, and it is reading correctly, the problem must be a bad or partial ground.

Any ideas where I should go from here????

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
Worldwide Engineering Inc.
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Allegro 2000
Rotax 912 UL

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
email hgmckay(at)bellsouth.net
http://www.wwegeo.com

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

Hugh.vcf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Hugh.vcf
 Filesize:  364 Bytes
 Downloaded:  635 Time(s)

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

Now you know why I tell people with a low oil pressure issue it usually almost never a real low oil pressure problem in the engine, but an indication issue. The fluctuation on the mechanical gauge may have come from air in your mechanical gauge line if you did not bleed off the air down by the gauge after the engine was started, too large a copper line (should have been 1/16th") and didn't you take out the new oil pressure regulator cone and go back to the old ball bearing? The old style ball bearing caused these types of fluctuations / chattering.
My guess is still like before, a partial / poor ground, but it may be the oil pressure gauge itself.

I would connect a new ground to the gauge first and if that didn't work buy a new gauge.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Light Sport Repairman
Home 520-574-1080 TRY HOME FIRST
Cell 520-349-7056
Dick Maddux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

Hugh,
Another reason you may be getting wild swings in your mechanical gauge setup is that you might not have put a loop in the copper line (if that's what you are using) feeding the gage from the sender. We do this in aircraft (in addition to an internal line restrictor) in order to dampen out any pressure pulses to the gage.(also to prevent work hardening of the copper line)
In my case I had to remove the new "cone" system and go back to the old ball because the new system was giving me large spikes in pressure indications. It's fine now. I have an old early 90's engine .
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Fl
[quote][b]

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

I have never had pulsations in my mechanical gauge. If you use the smallest copper tube from the store and bleed the air at the gauge tip after the engine is running mine is rock steady. I have about 5' of 1/16th tube so it can come into the cockpit with me so I can compare both gauges.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056
hgmckay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

Roger,

I was in a hurry to determine if my oil pressure had really dropped off that
much, so I simply uses 1/8" npt pipe from the engine to the mechanical gauge
which required a 1/4" NPT connection so I had to bush the 1/8" line up to
1/4" to fit the gauge. I knew I would have needle vibration if I did this
but wanted to see if I really had "low oil pressure". Explain how you get
from 1/8" pipe down to 1/16" soft copper line and then attach a 1/4" NPT
mechanical gauge at the end of the 1/16" copper line

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
--

moosepileit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

You changed too much at once.

Put the oil pressure regulator back to the way it was. Take the oil sender and gauge as installed out of the loop. I used a $15 dollar chinese kit from autozone, nylon line is long enough to go from the engine into the cockpit.

Let the oil bleed up before tightening at the gauge, per the instructions.

You are now ready to run and should have no problems, I bet.

My sender was totally all over the place when it went out, the electric VDO standard unit. It rung out fine on an ohmeter on a bench, was worthless in use.

The $15 gauge was rock solid in indication.

Once you figure out how to see accurate indications, figure out if you want the mushroom pressure regulator vs. the ball.

Changing both at once makes for tough troubleshooting.
hgmckay wrote:
Roger,

I was in a hurry to determine if my oil pressure had really dropped off that
much, so I simply uses 1/8" npt pipe from the engine to the mechanical gauge
which required a 1/4" NPT connection so I had to bush the 1/8" line up to
1/4" to fit the gauge. I knew I would have needle vibration if I did this
but wanted to see if I really had "low oil pressure". Explain how you get
from 1/8" pipe down to 1/16" soft copper line and then attach a 1/4" NPT
mechanical gauge at the end of the 1/16" copper line

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
--

Roger Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

Ace Hardware or probably any hardware store will having reducing fittings in copper. Use 1/8" NPT 27 copper fittings with a compression end that takes 1/16th copper. The 1/8 NPT will fit your oil pressure sending port. This small line and the bleeding of the out of the line will keep the gauge from bouncing. You should have a 1/8 NPT 27 copper fitting where your sender goes. One threads into the sender port and the other end is a compression fitting. The reason to use copper is to keep your ground to the engine. Run that first line out about 18" - 20" and put a tee in line with 2 more of the same fittings you used at the sender. Screw your VDO sender in the top of the tee. Run the rest of the copper line on out and into the cabin. Put a compression fitting on here too and then use an adapter to attach the gauge. Leave the gauge a little loose. Start the engine and allow the air to be pushed out by the oil. When you get 3-4 drops of oil the air is gone. Tighten the gauge. The gauge should now be very steady. The line is so small it may take a minute or two for the oil to actually reach the end of the copper tubing.

Light Sport Repairman
Cell 520-349-7056

Last edited by Roger Lee on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:49 am; edited 2 times in total
rickofudall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

Hugh, As suggested by one of the other responders to your question, put a restrictor in the line, too. You can solder up the end of the tubing and then drill a .040" or so hole in the solder. It will only effect the gauge in the time it takes oil to fill the tube when you bleed it. After that it won't have any effect. Should you have a line break the restrictor will keep the oil loss down to a small amount so you can get your plane on the ground. I had a line break when I put a gauge in a car once. You'd be amazed how much oil can be squirted out a 1/8" ID tube when it's under 40 PSI.

Rick Girard

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Roger Lee <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "Roger Lee" <ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com (ssadiver1(at)yahoo.com)>

Hi Hugh,

Ace Hardware or probably any hardware store will having reducing fittings in copper. Sorry, It has been a long few days out at the hangar. I misspoke. Use 1/8" NPT copper fittings. This small line and the bleeding of the out of the line will keep the gauge from bouncing. You should have a 1/8 NPT 27 copper fitting where your sender goes. One threads into the sender port and the other end is a compression fitting. The reason to use copper is to keep your ground to the engine. Run that first line out about 18" - 20" and put a tee in line with 2 more of the same fittings you used at the sender. Screw your VDO sender in the top of the tee. Run the rest of the copper line on out and into the cabin. Put a compression fitting on here too and then use an adapter to attach the gauge. Leave the gauge a little loose. Start the engine and allow the air to be pushed out by the oil. When you get 3-4 drops of oil the air is gone. Tighten the gauge. The gauge should now be very stead!
 y. The line is so small it may take a minute or two for the oil to actually reach the end of the copper tubing.

I apologize,
I hope I didn't mess you up to bad when I said 1/16th.

--------
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
Light Sport Repairman - Maintenance Rated
Rotax Repair Center
Home [url=tel:520-574-1080]520-574-1080[/url]  TRY HOME FIRST
Cell [url=tel:520-349-7056]520-349-7056[/url]

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=343705#343705

===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
===========
http://forums.matronics.com
===========
le, List Admin.
="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

dashwood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

i too have been chasing oil pressure issues in my 912. sourced a few problems with leaking oil lines and seals in gearbox...see posts over the last year by me about this and the gearbox failure. i replaced the vdo sender 3 times. the pressure readings after 10 to 50 hours would start fluctuating or fall off too low... i replaced the elec oil stuff with a steam gage style. very very small copper tube (1/16"). with a 2.5" loop at the engine outlet, another loop at the firewall and a "s" curve behind the gage. i did not change the relief valve to the new style. i did not bleed oil through the tube to the gage when i installed but the readings were rock solid from the time of first start with this system.. i would get a steady increase in pressure to about 70lbs on a cold start.. and very little fluctuation at any rpm settings. my ame said i should have put a slight crimp in the line close to the engine in case of a line break. to slow the oil loss. i did that in 2 seconds with a pair of pliers.
after about 8months of bliss running amsoil full synthetic 20/40 and 20/50
i changed oil type. used to have..... oil pres of 65lbs in all settings. slow pres rise when cold. rpm at climb out or 5280 and max 5300 in level cruise. egt of 1500 to 1570. oil temps around 220F
after changing to shell +4 semi syn the pressure rises quickly to 38lbs and stays there at idle and taxi rpm. as rpm increases to full throttle the pressure increased to 65lbs and stays there solid.climb out is 5300 and level cruise starts at 5400 and quickly goes over 5520( the setting for my max over rev alarm) I now have to throttle back to maintain 5400. egt is constant at 1400 and oil temps stay close to 200F. fuel burn / hour has decreased slightly, and oil consumption / hours has increased slightly. ie no oil consumption at all till approaching time for a change (50hrs)now is 1/8 cup every 6 to 8 hours. i have about 25 hrs on the newer oil in varied weather conditions.
i feel the engine is performing better with less strain with this (shell airo +4) and all the electric vdo oil sending units should be scraped. the system i now have was 1/3 the Price installed anyway.

hgmckay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

OK guys, here are the results of the final (on the ground) test to try to
reconcile the difference between the VDO electric oil pressure gauge
readings in my cockpit (which reads in bars) vs. a direct mechanical
pressure gauge readings. I had a 1/8" line coming directly from the engine
port where the pressure sender is normally attached out to a tee where I
attached a new (Lockwood ) sender and then reduced down to a very small
nylon tube on to a mechanical gauge (range 0-100 psi). The conditions of the
test were 455 hours on the engine, ambient temperature was 79 degrees F, Oil
is Mobile 1 Racing 4T, plane level and tied down securely. Here are the
results:

ENGINE RPM MECHANICAL GAUGE ELECTRIC VDO GAUGE CYL.
HEAD TEMP. OIL TEMP.
AND TIME PSI bar
PSI ** DEGREES C DEGREES C

2200 4:29* 80* 4.0*
58* 50* 50*
* Immediately after Initial start ** bar converted to psi
2200 4:32 80 3.5
50.75 50 50
2200 4:34 75 3.0
43.5 50 50
2200 4:35 70 2.8
40.6 50 50
2200 4:36 65 2.4
34.8 50 50
2200 4:38 60 2.1
30.45 50 50
Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
--

hgmckay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Low Oil Pressure Indication on Cockpit Gauge Reply with quote

Sorry Guys, I accidently hit the send button before finishing the data
table.
I will resend a new email with all the data. Disregards the one you have
just received.

Hugh G. McKay III, P.E.
Senior Consultant
4090 North NC Hwy. 16
Denver, NC 28037

Ph. 704-661-8271
Fax 704-483-5466
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: