Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baffle advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rleffler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

I ran into a couple “opportunities” at the hangar this evening that I’m soliciting opinions while I research for solutions. The first issue is that the rear support brace for the baffle and one of the fuel tubes want to occupy the same space. Since the fuel injector fuel lines were installed at Lycoming, I’m not quite sure how to proceed. I’m concerned that if I attempt to bend the fuel line up, I may put a crease in the line. I’m not sure if I should be concerned that with the other five cylinders are all horizontal in the same plane, if this line is elevated to get over this bracket. Another option I thought about was to cut a slot in the bracket and isolate the fuel line with a grommet. I haven’t referenced 43.13 yet to see what guidance it may provide.

[img]cid:image007.png(at)01CC369E.D2410170[/img]

[img]cid:image008.png(at)01CC369E.D2410170[/img]

The next issue probably falls in the category of me doing something wrong or not doing the obvious. What’s the secret to get this baffle mounted without severely bending it?

[img]cid:image009.png(at)01CC369E.D2410170[/img]

Any suggestions are appreciated.

25 days and counting……

bob

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

image007.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  619.35 KB
 Viewed:  7064 Time(s)

image007.png

image008.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  593.99 KB

image008.png

image009.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  608.27 KB

image009.png

pitts_pilot(at)bellsouth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd mark the baffle where the tubing is, cut a 1/2 quarter size bite out of the bracket. Clean up the edges and re-install the bracket. I'm not there yet, so don't know if I'll have the same problem.
Linn

On 6/29/2011 8:55 PM, Bob Leffler wrote: [quote] v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
I ran into a couple “opportunities” at the hangar this evening that I’m soliciting opinions while I research for solutions. The first issue is that the rear support brace for the baffle and one of the fuel tubes want to occupy the same space. Since the fuel injector fuel lines were installed at Lycoming, I’m not quite sure how to proceed. I’m concerned that if I attempt to bend the fuel line up, I may put a crease in the line. I’m not sure if I should be concerned that with the other five cylinders are all horizontal in the same plane, if this line is elevated to get over this bracket. Another option I thought about was to cut a slot in the bracket and isolate the fuel line with a grommet. I haven’t referenced 43.13 yet to see what guidance it may provide.

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kellym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

Bob,
Your best guidance is Lyc SB 342E, page 25, a specific diagram of where
the lines are required to be, per AD 2008-14-07 Lycoming Engines
(formerly Textron Lycoming Division, AVCO Corporation): Amendment 39-15602.
I won't get into the debate as to whether it is a requirement for
experimentals.
Main concern with those lines is weakening the fitting joints at either
end and ensuring they are adequately supported so that they don't work
harden from vibration. You can gently bend in the middle, keeping
bending forces away from the ends as long as you keep large radius. I
wouldn't worry about elevation. The fuel is under 4-10 psi in those
lines, generally. I agree with Linn's advice, to first try to remove
enough of the baffle support to allow the line to remain in the location
Lycoming placed it.
Kelly
PS, I can email you the SB direct if you need it.
On 6/29/2011 5:55 PM, Bob Leffler wrote:
Quote:

I ran into a couple “opportunities” at the hangar this evening that
I’m soliciting opinions while I research for solutions. The first
issue is that the rear support brace for the baffle and one of the
fuel tubes want to occupy the same space. Since the fuel injector fuel
lines were installed at Lycoming, I’m not quite sure how to proceed.
I’m concerned that if I attempt to bend the fuel line up, I may put a
crease in the line. I’m not sure if I should be concerned that with
the other five cylinders are all horizontal in the same plane, if this
line is elevated to get over this bracket. Another option I thought
about was to cut a slot in the bracket and isolate the fuel line with
a grommet. I haven’t referenced 43.13 yet to see what guidance it may
provide.

The next issue probably falls in the category of me doing something
wrong or not doing the obvious. What’s the secret to get this baffle
mounted without severely bending it?

25 days and counting……

bob

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

Along with the aforementioned solution is the possibility to add another adel clamp to further stabilize the tube as it bypasses the bracket.

Robin
Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

flysrv10(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

Cut the bracket.

do not archive.

On Jun 29, 2011, at 8:55 PM, Bob Leffler wrote:
Quote:

<image007.png>

<image008.png>

The next issue probably falls in the category of me doing something wrong or not doing the obvious. What’s the secret to get this baffle mounted without severely bending it?

<image009.png>

25 days and counting……

bob

aerosport1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

Bob make a nice half round cut out in the bracket. I had to cut mine out for my Ignition coil.

See link

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/external/7068012_3161550_64301362_Web_3/0_0_c6e7e93ae7bc906cc3c993621baec8f6_1

[b]Geoff Combs[/b]
President

[b]614-834-5227p[/b]
614-834-5230f

www.aerosportmodeling.com

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:55 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Baffle advice

[img]cid:image004.gif(at)01CC36FD.5E3BB9A0[/img]

[img]cid:image005.gif(at)01CC36FD.5E3BB9A0[/img]

[img]cid:image006.gif(at)01CC36FD.5E3BB9A0[/img]

25 days and counting……

bob

image004.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.13 KB
 Viewed:  7036 Time(s)

image004.gif

image005.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.26 KB

image005.gif

image006.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.28 KB

image006.gif

drfred(at)suddenlinkmail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

I cut a slot in mine right where you show. Rounded the hole. no problems 3+ years.

Dr Fred
515FW.

[quote][b]

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

Same here:
http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/engine/20051107/RV200511060004.html
http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/engine/20051107/RV200511060007.html

The bracket will be fine.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD
On 6/30/2011 7:11 AM, Geoff Combs wrote:
Quote:
Bob make a nice half round cut out in the bracket. I had to cut mine out
for my Ignition coil.

See link

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/external/7068012_3161550_64301362_Web_3/0_0_c6e7e93ae7bc906cc3c993621baec8f6_1

**Geoff Combs**

President

**614-834-5227p**
614-834-5230f

www.aerosportmodeling.com <http://www.aerosportmodeling.com>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Bob Leffler
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:55 PM
*To:* rv10-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* Baffle advice

I ran into a couple “opportunities” at the hangar this evening that I’m
soliciting opinions while I research for solutions. The first issue is
that the rear support brace for the baffle and one of the fuel tubes
want to occupy the same space. Since the fuel injector fuel lines were
installed at Lycoming, I’m not quite sure how to proceed. I’m concerned
that if I attempt to bend the fuel line up, I may put a crease in the
line. I’m not sure if I should be concerned that with the other five
cylinders are all horizontal in the same plane, if this line is elevated
to get over this bracket. Another option I thought about was to cut a
slot in the bracket and isolate the fuel line with a grommet. I haven’t
referenced 43.13 yet to see what guidance it may provide.

The next issue probably falls in the category of me doing something
wrong or not doing the obvious. What’s the secret to get this baffle
mounted without severely bending it?

25 days and counting……

bob

rleffler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

Here’s the final result. There’s about 1/8” gap between the fuel line and the bracket. I may take a little more off, just for a safety margin.

<![endif]--><![if !vml]>[img]cid:image002.png(at)01CC3771.2580EC60[/img]<![endif]> \s <![endif]-->

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Rob Kermanj
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: Baffle advice

Cut the bracket.

image002.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  600.33 KB
 Viewed:  7014 Time(s)

image002.png

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

That still looks too close to me.

Robin
Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:01 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Baffle advice

Here’s the final result.  There’s about 1/8” gap between the fuel line and the bracket.  I may take a little more off, just for a safety margin.

[img]cid:image003.png(at)01CC37DB.EF988F20[/img]

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Rob Kermanj

Cut the bracket.

image003.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  602.61 KB
 Viewed:  6993 Time(s)

image003.png

rleffler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

There’s more of a gap than it looks in the picture.  With that said, I plan on opening the gap from 1/8” to ¼”.

bob

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 1:45 PM

Robin
Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Bob Leffler

Here’s the final result. There’s about 1/8” gap between the fuel line and the bracket. I may take a little more off, just for a safety margin.

[img]cid:image001.png(at)01CC3827.E54B2950[/img]

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Rob Kermanj

Cut the bracket.

image001.png
 Description:
 Viewed:  6988 Time(s)

image001.png

AV8ORJWC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Baffle advice Reply with quote

You can take a rubber grommet of the correct I.D., cut it cross-sectional from the center out to the circumference to insert over the injector line and slide it right over the modified bracket. That will give you correct separation and dampening.

John Cox

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com on behalf of Bob Leffler
Sent: Fri 7/1/2011 4:48 PM

There’s more of a gap than it looks in the picture. With that said, I plan on opening the gap from 1/8” to ¼”.

bob

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robin Marks
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 1:45 PM

Robin
Do not archive

[img]image001.png[/img]

Cut the bracket.

image001.png
 Description:
 Viewed:  6984 Time(s)

image001.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: