Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the ultralight and Rotax world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xTrainwrecKx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Hello fellow aviators and hobbyists,

I am now a new owner of a beautiful JDT Mini-Max 1500R equipped with a Rotax 447 powerplant, air-cooled with a Supercowl.

I am seeking tips/advice on the Rotax 447 as far as the closest service center to Las Vegas (there is Rotax repair... but it is for go-kart engines), best source for parts in the US (preferably West Coast), and any known issues or problems associated with this motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to enjoy my new plane without having to do a forced landing or utilizing my emergency chute. Smile

Very respectfully,
Derek

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Arty Trost

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Derek -

Closest repair center may not be the best, and once you've got the engine boxed for shipping, it doesn't make that much difference as to whether you send it to Maine, Florida or California. I've had outstanding service from Lockwood Aviation in Florida (www.lockwood-aviation.com). They have worked on my Rotax engines (both 503 and 582) for years; their service guys are extremely knowledgeable and competent.

For parts, I always go to Lockwood. My local Rotax mechanic (I live in northwest Oregon) was using California Power Systems, out of California. For the past 8 months, he has had difficulty getting parts promptly from them. What's worse, is that when he places an order, they accept the order and don't tell him that it's out of stock and they have to order it from Austria. So we wait - sometimes weeks. This has happened to me three times. I have never had this problem when ordering from Lockwood. They apparently have enough Rotax repair business that everything is in inventory. Prices between CPS and Lockwood are very close - often identical. Yes, I pay a little more for shipping from the furthest part of the country, and yes, it may take an extra day or so - but it's well worth it.

Arty Trost
Sandy, Oregon

www.LessonsFromTheEdge.com/oshkosh

"Life's a daring adventure or nothing"
Helen Keller

"I refuse to tip toe through life just to arrive safely at death."

--- On Sun, 7/17/11, xTrainwrecKx <derek.brundage(at)gmail.com> wrote:
[quote]
Subject: New to the ultralight and Rotax world
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, July 17, 2011, 12:15 AM

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "xTrainwrecKx" <[url=/mc/compose?to=derek.brundage(at)gmail.com]derek.brundage(at)gmail.com[/url]>

Hello fellow aviators and hobbyists,

I am now a new owner of a beautiful JDT Mini-Max 1500R equipped with a Rotax 447 powerplant, air-cooled with a Supercowl.

I am seeking tips/advice on the Rotax 447 as far as the closest service center to Las Vegas (there is Rotax repair... but it is for go-kart engines), best source for parts in the US (preferably West Coast), and any known issues or problems associated with this motor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to enjoy my new plane without having to do a forced landing or utilizing my emergency chute. Smile

Very respectfully,
Derek

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=346741#346741

onics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List" target="_blank">http://www.matroni/forums.matronics.com" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

xTrainwrecKx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help Sir, as I have fallen short trying to find anything on the 447. I just want to ensure the dependability is there, and support is around when I need it.

Very respectfully,
Derek

lucien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

xTrainwrecKx wrote:
Thank you very much for your help Sir, as I have fallen short trying to find anything on the 447. I just want to ensure the dependability is there, and support is around when I need it.

Very respectfully,
Derek

I'm with Arty on Lockwood. I've been buying engines and parts from them for years and they're pretty much the best source.

As for the 447, it's one of the best engines Rotax makes. The only issues, if you can call them issues, are the relatively hot running and the single ignition. The 447 is essentially a suped-up 377 (the 447's now out of production descendent) so it doesn't have as much cooling fin area per power output as the 503. So the CHT's will climb past 350F in extended wide open operation. Just something to keep an eye on - my 447's never actually overheated, but I did back off the throttle as soon as I was at a safe altitude and didn't hold it to the wall unless I had to.

The single ignition, well, just be careful about the wiring - a short will shut it right down in flight. Don't ask me why I know this.

Finally, the 447 is probably on the chopping block at Rotax, so it could go out of production at any time. Don't know what that means for parts support, but hopefully they'll continue to make parts for it for a while.

Otherwise, it's a great motor and I loved mine when I had them...

LS

xTrainwrecKx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Yeah.... I think I might opt to go to an electric start instead of the pull type, as I don't want to lose engine in flight and plummet to the earth. That is the only thing that worries me with the smaller engines. I am planning on doing a few longer flights and want to be sure it can be depended upon. There is always the chute! Smile

Derek

8minimax_1500R.jpg
 Description:
The new 1500R
 Filesize:  57.48 KB
 Viewed:  13534 Time(s)

8minimax_1500R.jpg

elleryweld(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

I have had very good luck with the 447 Rotax I wore out a few of them with no issues just take care of it and it will take care of you, I think a chute is a waste of money unless you are flying something that will fall apart,or if you are doing aerobatic maneuvers , in normal flying conditions just because an engine quits is no reason to pull a chute
Quote:
Quote:

Ellery Batchelder Jr.

--

thesupe(at)hotmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Electric start is nice, but then of course you are going to have a battery, cables, ect which will add to the weight of the plane.  With the standard Rotax starter, it sticks about 5" out the back of the engine.  What will be in the way on the Mini-max for that??  Another point is if a two stroke quits while in flight on it's own, it probably isn't going to start again very easy unless you have let it run out of fuel on one tank and you have fuel in another tank.  Take care,  Jim Chuk

> Subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world
Quote:
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 17:17:35 -0700
To: rotaxengines-list(at)matronics.com

--> RotaxEngines-List message posted by: "xTrainwrecKx" <derek.brundage(at)gmail.com>

Yeah.... I think I might opt to go to an electric start instead of the pull type, as I don't want to lose engine in flight and plummet to the earth. That is the only thing that worries me with the smaller engines. I am planning on doing a few longer flights and want to be sure it can be depended upon. There is always the chute! Smile

Derek

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=346960#346960

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/8minimax_1500r_101.jpg

======================
&gt=======================

Quote:

[quote][b]

xTrainwrecKx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Hmmmm... lots to think about. I don't mind trying to guide the plane off power and wouldn't automatically pull the chute in haste, but it is good to have just in case while flying over the mountains in Vegas. This is my first U/L and I know I will take good care of both the plane and the engine.

This 1500R is already equipped with a battery, just aft of the firewall. The firewall is also removable to access controls, etc without having to dig around in the cockpit. Now, as far where the starter motor would go... I will have to look at that.

I thank you guys for all of the input and appreciate the learning points.

Very respectfully,
Derek

lucien

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

xTrainwrecKx wrote:
Hmmmm... lots to think about. I don't mind trying to guide the plane off power and wouldn't automatically pull the chute in haste, but it is good to have just in case while flying over the mountains in Vegas. This is my first U/L and I know I will take good care of both the plane and the engine.

This 1500R is already equipped with a battery, just aft of the firewall. The firewall is also removable to access controls, etc without having to dig around in the cockpit. Now, as far where the starter motor would go... I will have to look at that.

I thank you guys for all of the input and appreciate the learning points.

Very respectfully,
Derek

I personally would avoid the electric start. Particularly the CPS starter, it's poorly made and hard on the crankshaft. The Rotax mag-end starter is better, but still a lot of money and weight that you don't really need on such a small plane.

Just route the pull rope into in the cockpit and pull start from the seat. The 447 is easy to crank over by hand due to its smaller size. On my 447 trike, I had it routed to a pully on the mast over my head. I could actually pull start it from the seat with one hand pulling downwards (and very easily with both hands).

Oh, and practice your deadsticks! Then it will be no problem when/if the motor decides to quit for real Wink

LS

xTrainwrecKx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

How do you think the 1500R will fly at deadstick? or... fall? hahaha. I will practice everthing I can just in case, and will also look at finding a way to route the pull to the cockpit.

Thank you for the knowledge.

Very respectfully,
Derek

johngilpin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:31 am Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world
How do you think the 1500R will fly at deadstick?

It'll glide real well. Much steeper glide ratio than you'd be used to, but just keep the nose well down and speed up. Go up high and try gliding at idle power, at different speeds until you find the best glide speed. Get used to making all landing approaches at idle power from the start of base leg. Practice, practice, practice. An engine out will be even steeper glide ratio, but the idle approaches will teach you how to judge glide slope without power. Don't use typical GA method of more or less power to control glide slope. Learn to slip to control the glide slope. Plan on always being a bit high on the glide approach and slip off the excess to touch down right on the target spot. That's a heck of a lot of fun in an aircraft like that. Can go around and around for hours. Sort of like ski runs, each time is a bit different and a challenge, gets better and better. Need to find a strip without GA traffic to do that.

I ran a 447 for 1000 hrs in a Spectrum Beaver. Never missed a beat. Just put new rings and honed the bore every 400 hrs. Used a mineral blend oil, not fully synthetic. Kept a close watch on EGT temps to adjust the needle in the carbie for seasonal changes.

You'll get to love it!

Enjoy,
JG

xTrainwrecKx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New to the ultralight and Rotax world Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice JG.... I have a feeling my 447 will be treating me well.

V/r,
Derek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: