Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBWFH2010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Aircaft: Europa Tri Gear
Engine: Rotax 912 UL
Propeller: Airmaster 322
Help! I would welcome any advice or suggestions regarding a problem which is afflicting my aircraft. It has developed a strange vibration/resonance which occurs after establishing the cruise. For example, after a normal take off and climb I set the prop to Cruise, reduce the MFP to 26” which gives approx. 100Kts at an indicated 5200 RPM. Everything appears ‘normal’ at this stage. If I increase the cruise setting to 27”, or greater, everything remains smooth, but reducing back to 26” re-introduces the vibration (which is noticeable unless the throttle is reduced almost to idle), which although it does not shake the aircraft to pieces, is most noticeable. The vibration remains through reduced throttle settings and can only be cleared temporarily by adjusting prop pitch to use a higher RPM and power settings.

Initially I was convinced it was a propeller issue, but detailed checks have so far failed to highlight any problem. Airmaster are convinced it is not their propeller at fault but gave me several thing to check, all of which I have done. Europa suggested the prop carbon brushes and tracking should be cleaned which I have done. For a while I thought this might have cleared the fault, but it returned after 55 mins of flight. Interestingly At the same time as I had cleaned the tracking I had removed the whole exhaust system for inspection. I could not find anything wrong, no holes, or loose pipes so I refitted it and lock wired everything.

I have inspected the carburettors, replaced the rubber mountings and balanced the system and everything appears to be normal.

I have to admit I am at a loss to know what to check next. It may be related to something that was removed and refitted during the exhaust inspection, but I cannot find anything obvious and I do not understand why the problem is not apparent as soon as cruise power is applied.

I would welcome any thoughts on this matter as it is driving me mad!

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

G-BWFH
rparigoris

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Hi Gordon

A few thoughts:
**Although you stated that you have balanced the carbs, did you check that they are being opened the same throughout the throttle range? Do you have a kinked or otherwise compromised set of cables? Did you try balancing at around the throttle position you are having a problem?
**Are your carb float bowl vents in good condition and both plumbed to approx. ambient pressure?
**If you switch from both to left then right mag, is there a change?
**I am not sure, did you check the tracking of the blades? Did you measure that the blades are the same pitch, especially at the approx pitch where you are having vibrations?
**Did you ever dynamic balance the blades?
**Did you do the mod to undercarriage mounting frame? Is it or the motor mount cracked? Is the engine mounting bolts (Binx nuts) properly torqued? Are the motor mounts in OK condition?
**Is the choke (enriching circuit) cables completely closing the arms?
**Is there a leak in the balancing tube?
**When was the last time you replaced the spark plugs? Is there a chance you may have wires that got mixed up?
**Is the spinner tight with screws tight and no cracks and does it track true? Is the backing plate cracked? Did you by chance install different hardware where on the spinner, back plate or other is causing the prop to be out of balance?
** How many hours on your gearbox since it was checked? Do you have a slipper clutch? Do you use 100LL a lot? do you have a problem starting?

Have a look through here, especially vibration:
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=81550

Ron Parigoris

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Rocketman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Gordon,

Just for giggles, clean and re-lubricate the throttle cables and insure
that there is no binding in the system, check the return springs, that
they are plenty strong, then re-balance the carbs at the exact rpm the
vibration is occurring. Also, be very sure that no exhaust gas is
making it's way up to the carb bowl area. This should rule out a leaky
exhaust system (causing vapor lock) and any carb balance issue. The
very design of the throttle cable system causes the carbs to go slightly
in and out of sync, as the throttle in manipulated, due to the cables
changing length, slightly, in relation to each other. Nothing to lose
but time and everything to gain...

Jeff - Baby Blue
600+ hours

On 7/31/2011 1:13 PM, GBWFH2010 wrote:
Quote:

Aircaft: Europa Tri Gear
Engine: Rotax 912 UL
Propeller: Airmaster 322
Help! I would welcome any advice or suggestions regarding a problem which is afflicting my aircraft. It has developed a strange vibration/resonance which occurs after establishing the cruise. For example, after a normal take off and climb I set the prop to Cruise, reduce the MFP to 26” which gives approx. 100Kts at an indicated 5200 RPM. Everything appears ‘normal’ at this stage. If I increase the cruise setting to 27”, or greater, everything remains smooth, but reducing back to 26” re-introduces the vibration (which is noticeable unless the throttle is reduced almost to idle), which although it does not shake the aircraft to pieces, is most noticeable. The vibration remains through reduced throttle settings and can only be cleared temporarily by adjusting prop pitch to use a higher RPM and power settings.

Initially I was convinced it was a propeller issue, but detailed checks have so far failed to highlight any problem. Airmaster are convinced it is not their propeller at fault but gave me several thing to check, all of which I have done. Europa suggested the prop carbon brushes and tracking should be cleaned which I have done. For a while I thought this might have cleared the fault, but it returned after 55 mins of flight. Interestingly At the same time as I had cleaned the tracking I had removed the whole exhaust system for inspection. I could not find anything wrong, no holes, or loose pipes so I refitted it and lock wired everything.

I have inspected the carburettors, replaced the rubber mountings and balanced the system and everything appears to be normal.

I have to admit I am at a loss to know what to check next. It may be related to something that was removed and refitted during the exhaust inspection, but I cannot find anything obvious and I do not understand why the problem is not apparent as soon as cruise power is applied.

I would welcome any thoughts on this matter as it is driving me mad!

--------
Gordon Grant

G-BWFH

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=348173#348173

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

GBWFH2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Ron,

Thank you for your suggestions which are greatly appreciated. I have been working on the Europa today checking a number of the things you suggested.

I found all cables to be in good condition and the physical operation of the carbs appears to be correct and in sync. I have yet to re balance, but I will explain why later.
The carb bowl vents appear to be Ok and plumbed in and connected correctly.
Switching mags makes no difference to the noise.
The blades have been checked, are all at the same pitch and are within the manufacturers limits. A basic check of the tracking has been conducted and no problems highlighted. The blades have not been dynamically balanced.
I can find no damage to the engine mount, or mounting bolts which are torqued correctly. The aircraft was converted to a Tri Gear in 2007 – which mod are you referring to?
The chokes are closing correctly, there is no leak in the balancing tube and the plugs were replaced last September.
The spinner is in good condition and on tight, with all screws checked and hub appears to be fine. No changes have been made to any part of the prop system.
I do not often use 100LL – only 40 litres in 33 hours. The total engine time is 265 hours and as far as I know the gearbox has never been removed or checked. I have checked the slipper clutch friction torque and it was 24 ft lb – well within the range stated by Rotax. I never have any starting problems.
When I was checking the slipper clutch I removed the four upper spark plugs. I was surprised to find those from cyls 2 and 4 were very black and sooty but 1 and 3 were perfect. I checked the needle jet in the left carburettor and found the circlip located on the richest setting. I moved this down one notch, re-assembled the carburettor and test flew the aircraft. For nearly one hour it was perfect with no vibration at any cruise setting from 28 inches to 25 inches MFP, but after descending into the circuit and returning to cruise power the vibration/harmonic was very noticeable at 26 inches MFP. Obviously I need to re-balance the carbs and I will do this tomorrow, but it does seem that working on the carburettors/air intake system seems to improve things for up to 60 mins and then the problem returns.
Regards

G-BWFH
GBWFH2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Jeff,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have checked all the cables and operation seems to be perfect. I have also had a good look for exhaust leaks and can not find any trace of any leaks - the system seems in good health. As explained to Ron I will be balancing the carbs tomorrow and will keep you posted.

Regards

G-BWFH
rparigoris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Hi Gordon
Reply below ****

> --> Europa-List message posted by: "GBWFH2010" <gcgrant(at)supanet.com> > > Ron, > > Thank you for your suggestions which are greatly appreciated. I have been > working on the Europa today checking a number of the things you suggested. > > I found all cables to be in good condition and the physical operation of > the carbs appears to be correct and in sync. I have yet to re balance, but > I will explain why later. > The carb bowl vents appear to be Ok and plumbed in and connected > correctly. > Switching mags makes no difference to the noise. > The blades have been checked, are all at the same pitch and are within the > manufacturers limits. A basic check of the tracking has been conducted and > no problems highlighted. The blades have not been dynamically balanced.
****Good idea to try and get rebalanced no matter.
> I can find no damage to the engine mount, or mounting bolts which are > torqued correctly. The aircraft was converted to a Tri Gear in 2007 &euro;&ldquo; > which mod are you referring to?
****Mod 72:
http://www.europa-aircraft.com/updates/mods.php
****Below 5K the manifold does not provide equal mixing, think a very common problem. If you were to run at 5K for a while and turn off you would probably see nice color of plugs. i am not flying yet but do know Type 64 carbs. Adjusting idle needle as lean as you can may help.
I checked the needle jet in the left > carburettor and found the circlip located on the richest setting. I moved > this down one notch, re-assembled the carburettor and test flew the > aircraft. For nearly one hour it was perfect with no vibration at any > cruise setting from 28 inches to 25 inches MFP, but after descending into > the circuit and returning to cruise power the vibration/harmonic was very > noticeable at 26 inches MFP. Obviously I need to re-balance the carbs and > I will do this tomorrow, but it does seem that working on the > carburettors/air intake system seems to improve things for up to 60 mins > and then the problem returns.
****Be very careful messing with main jets and jet needle settings. Verify and clean jets, my 914 has different main jets and different jet needle positions I think from the factory.

Go after carbs. Even though the enriching circuit is not supposed to do much in cruise, you can try pulling choke at cruise and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps ask Bud or Airmaster if you can try and switching blades?

Good luck
Ron P.

> Regards > > -------- > Gordon Grant > > G-BWFH > > > > > Read this topic online here: > > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=348399#348399 > > > > > > > > > > > [quote][b]

rehn(at)rockisland.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Just another thought. Could it be airframe related not engine? Does it happen only at lower airspeeds? Perhaps as you slow down a vibration sets up maybe in the cowling or baffles in the cowling vibrating? Have you made any changes in those areas or something loosening up?
Worth a look maybe.
Jerry

--

nigel henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Not read the thread but prop tips check for cracks running from the tip use amagnifyingglass,tape each prop tip the same amount oI could not see the tip cracks till it became a problem.Undercarriage leg covers check and wind with
electrical tape also check any resin covers like flaps of fairings cowling and bits check for vibration I have a sailing yacht and the long runs of rope hum under tension and windcowls can resonate hope it helps but record the noise to ussomebody knows the noise x x x
Quote:
Subject: Re: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 10:30:42 -0700
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

--> Europa-List message posted by: "GBWFH2010" <gcgrant(at)supanet.com>

Ron,

Thank you for your suggestions which are greatly appreciated. I have been working on the Europa today checking a number of the things you suggested.

I found all cables to be in good condition and the physical operation of the carbs appears to be correct and in sync. I have yet to re balance, but I will explain why later.
The carb bowl vents appear to be Ok and plumbed in and connected correctly.
Switching mags makes no difference to the noise.
The blades have been checked, are all at the same pitch and are within the manufacturers limits. A basic check of the tracking has been conducted and no problems highlighted. The blades have not been dynamically balanced.
I can find no damage to the engine mount, or mounting bolts which are torqued correctly. The aircraft was converted to a Tri Gear in 2007 – which mod are you referring to?
The chokes are closing correctly, there is no leak in the balancing tube and the plugs were replaced last September.
The spinner is in good condition and on tight, with all screws checked and hub appears to be fine. No changes have been made to any part of the prop system.
I do not often use 100LL – only 40 litres in 33 hours. The total engine time is 265 hours and as far as I know the gearbox has never been removed or checked. I have checked the slipper clutch friction torque and it was 24 ft lb – well within the range stated by Rotax. I never have any starting problems.
When I was checking the slipper clutch I removed the four upper spark plugs. I was surprised to find those from cyls 2 and 4 were very black and sooty but 1 and 3 were perfect. I checked the needle jet in the left carburettor and found the circlip located on the richest setting. I moved this down one notch, re-assembled the carburettor and test flew the aircraft. For nearly one hour it was perfect with no vibration at any cruise setting from 28 inches to 25 inches MFP, but after descending into the circuit and returning to cruise power the vibration/harmonic was very noticeable at 26 inches MFP. Obviously I need to re-balance the carbs and I will do this tomorrow, but it does seem that working on the carburettors/air intake system seems to improve things for up to 60 mins and then the problem returns.
Regards

--------
Gordon Grant

G-BWFH

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=348399#348399

=====================

Quote:
_====

[quote][b]

frans(at)privatepilots.nl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

For what it is worth:
I have a small piece of tape to cover the hole of the rear wing pip
pins. Recently the aft end of this tape came loose and I had 1 inch of
tape end vibrating in the wind.
Unaware of this, I was strucked by a sudden buzzing vibration through
the ship. It behaved like described, with some speeds or prop settings
it was gone, to return at certain speeds, but a few times by temporarily
change a few parameters I could get it to stay away for a while.
I'm still surprised how difficult it was to determine what the source of
the vibration was, and how much vibration just 1 inch of tape can
create. The sound of it was much louder than the engine sound and it
appeared to come from everywhere.
I was worried enough to consider an immediate off field landing (it
could be flutter, or some critical part about to be teared off) but
decided to wait a little to see how it would develop. At least the
controls felt completely normal.
After the landing I discovered this small piece of tape, the end ragged
as a proof that it had been vibrating. After removing it the vibration
was gone and never returned.

Frans

Rocketman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Frans,

You need some stronger tape... Smile

Jeff - Baby Blue

do not archive

On 8/3/2011 2:26 AM, Frans Veldman wrote:
Quote:

For what it is worth:
I have a small piece of tape to cover the hole of the rear wing pip
pins. Recently the aft end of this tape came loose and I had 1 inch of
tape end vibrating in the wind.
Unaware of this, I was strucked by a sudden buzzing vibration through
the ship. It behaved like described, with some speeds or prop settings
it was gone, to return at certain speeds, but a few times by temporarily
change a few parameters I could get it to stay away for a while.
I'm still surprised how difficult it was to determine what the source of
the vibration was, and how much vibration just 1 inch of tape can
create. The sound of it was much louder than the engine sound and it
appeared to come from everywhere.
I was worried enough to consider an immediate off field landing (it
could be flutter, or some critical part about to be teared off) but
decided to wait a little to see how it would develop. At least the
controls felt completely normal.
After the landing I discovered this small piece of tape, the end ragged
as a proof that it had been vibrating. After removing it the vibration
was gone and never returned.

Frans
-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

watervet(at)mweb.co.za

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Hi Gordon,

We had a similar problem with my Trigear XS with 914 Rotax - and after many hours of carb stripping and cleaning and balancing with a mercury manometer - we could not fix it till - we re-stripped the carbs and found a small defect on the base of one of the float chamber needles that caused the needle to "cock" to one side from time to time( we think) - we renewed needles and the float actuator arms - re- balanced the carbs and hey presto problem gone. The aircraft had stood for a while prior to the problem.

Regards
Mike Toft
Europa XS Trigear 914 Airmaster

On 31 Jul 2011, at 9:07 PM, rparigoris wrote:

Quote:

Hi Gordon

A few thoughts:
**Although you stated that you have balanced the carbs, did you check that they are being opened the same throughout the throttle range? Do you have a kinked or otherwise compromised set of cables? Did you try balancing at around the throttle position you are having a problem?
**Are your carb float bowl vents in good condition and both plumbed to approx. ambient pressure?
**If you switch from both to left then right mag, is there a change?
**I am not sure, did you check the tracking of the blades? Did you measure that the blades are the same pitch, especially at the approx pitch where you are having vibrations?
**Did you ever dynamic balance the blades?
**Did you do the mod to undercarriage mounting frame? Is it or the motor mount cracked? Is the engine mounting bolts (Binx nuts) properly torqued? Are the motor mounts in OK condition?
**Is the choke (enriching circuit) cables completely closing the arms?
**Is there a leak in the balancing tube?
**When was the last time you replaced the spark plugs? Is there a chance you may have wires that got mixed up?
**Is the spinner tight with screws tight and no cracks and does it track true? Is the backing plate cracked? Did you by chance install different hardware where on the spinner, back plate or other is causing the prop to be out of balance?
** How many hours on your gearbox since it was checked? Do you have a slipper clutch? Do you use 100LL a lot? do you have a problem starting?

Have a look through here, especially vibration:
http://www.europaowners.org/forums/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=81550

Ron Parigoris

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=348176#348176

GBWFH2010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Yesterday I balanced the carbs and test flew the aircraft. It was beautifully smooth in the climb and cruise. I could initiate the noise by reducing the throttle setting to below 25inches MFP, but everything returned to normal at cruise power. Until I descended to join the circuit, when the noise became apparent at cruise setting after descending to the circuit height of 1000 ft. It was not as bad as previously as I could smooth it out by slightly increasing power and it disappeared when selecting Climb pitch on the downwind leg. Overall a great improvement.

I was very interested in Mike Toft's experience which seem very similar to mine and although I have not ruled anything out everything seems to be pointing to carburation. I think I will do the same as Mike and see what happens.

G-BWFH
ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Mysterious vibration on Europa Tri Gear Reply with quote

Hi! Gordon .
Have you checked your magnetic plug for ferrous swarf debris? I recommend
you to do this as if it were mandatory( I believe it to be at every 100
hours ) but I recommend it checked every oil change..
I have good reason to believe it is possible the anti -chatter drive dogs
are exhibiting back lash chatter. Propeller wind milling effect will allow
the lower RPM/drive torque position to be reached earlier and so allow the
drive dog/cams to be working together on a minimum bearing area of male
nose and female trough. It may well be that you need the propeller backlash
tightening up with shims .(This is not referring to the crankshaft
protection slipper clutch mounted between the propeller and the back lash
device. Whilst I'm not purporting to be an expert I have god reason to pass
this advice.
Do the check and also measure the prop. Torque "break out" load at 24 "
radius to see if it is in spec. If you are sure your carbs are
sinchronised/balanced first then this is the way to go for peace of mind.
I'm thinking I have the same "tee" shirt. Please let us know your outcome.
And what engine you have.?
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: