Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Fly on the wall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undoctor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

Hello Kolbers,

I've got really good news. After our failed attempt to right my hangar/trailer which houses my FlagFly I was unable to access a heavier machine mostly due to everyone being tied up with hurricane cleanup. Yesterday Carlton, the man who now owns the airstrip, was able to meet me with a truck that has a hydraulic arm to lift dumpster style truck bodies used in his landscape business.

We hooked a nylon strap to the upper (in its current position) suspension, but when it would begin to roll over the tail end would slide and it was back flat on its left side. I took some rebar to drive into the ground to try to hold it in place, but the trailer just slid over the rebar and bent it flat.

Finally I took a length of 4 X 4 and placed it at the rear corner, which was prone to slide quickest, and parked my pickup so the right front wheel butted against the 4 x 4. Carlton then pulled it over until the trailer just touched my bumper, at which time I backed the pickup away. Carlton said, "Go around to the other side and give it a push." I did and it gently went past center and rested on the down stroke. He lowered the arm and touched the FlagFly down probably more gently than it gets touched down 90% of the time.

You cannot believe the sense of relief that swept over me. You just can't imagine. He told me he could feel it was at the balance point when he told me to push it. Good operator!

He went back to work and I went over the FF with a fine tooth comb. The only damage was the tailwheel, which took the torque of the downward arc from where I had it lashed at the rear of the boom tube. The bearing pushed the snap ring out of the groove and crunched the shoulder, so I fought the urge to take it for a spin until I replace the wheel. A fine Kolber by the name of Boyd emailed me that he replaced his tailwheel and I was welcome to his original. It's now on its way here.

Great people on the list. Gary, who took the vids a couple of weeks ago, offered any assistance he could give.

Carlton would like the trailer at a different place (he recently bought the strip) so we're going to move it to the end of the row of hangars - protected from future hurricanes!

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Flipped_trailer_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  368.44 KB
 Viewed:  5769 Time(s)

Flipped_trailer_2.jpg

Flipped_trailer_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.73 KB

Flipped_trailer_1.jpg

Flipped_trailer_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  494.67 KB

Flipped_trailer_3.jpg

Flipped_trailer_4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  368.23 KB

Flipped_trailer_4.jpg

Flipped_trailer_6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  443.9 KB

Flipped_trailer_6.jpg

Flipped_trailer_8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  451.11 KB

Flipped_trailer_8.jpg

rickofudall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

Great news Dave. Glad it turned out so well.

Rick Girard

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM, David Kulp <undoctor(at)ptd.net (undoctor(at)ptd.net)> wrote:
Quote:
Hello Kolbers,

I've got really good news.  After our failed attempt to right my hangar/trailer which houses my FlagFly I was unable to access a heavier machine mostly due to everyone being tied up with hurricane cleanup.  Yesterday Carlton, the man who now owns the airstrip, was able to meet me with a truck that has a hydraulic arm to lift dumpster style truck bodies used in his landscape business.

We hooked a nylon strap to the upper (in its current position) suspension, but when it would begin to roll over the tail end would slide and it was back flat on its left side.  I took some rebar to drive into the ground to try to hold it in place, but the trailer just slid over the rebar and bent it flat.

Finally I took a length of 4 X 4 and placed it at the rear corner, which was prone to slide quickest, and parked my pickup so the right front wheel butted against the 4 x 4.  Carlton then pulled it over until the trailer just touched my bumper, at which time I backed the pickup away.  Carlton said, "Go around to the other side and give it a push."  I did and it gently went past center and rested on the down stroke.  He lowered the arm and touched the FlagFly down probably more gently than it gets touched down 90% of the time.

You cannot believe the sense of relief that swept over me.  You just can't imagine.  He told me he could feel it was at the balance point when he told me to push it.  Good operator!

He went back to work and I went over the FF with a fine tooth comb.  The only damage was the tailwheel, which took the torque of the downward arc from where I had it lashed at the rear of the boom tube.  The bearing pushed the snap ring out of the groove and crunched the shoulder, so I fought the urge to take it for a spin until I replace the wheel.  A fine Kolber by the name of Boyd emailed me that he replaced his tailwheel and I was welcome to his original.  It's now on its way here. 

Great people on the list.  Gary, who took the vids a couple of weeks ago, offered any assistance he could give.

Carlton would like the trailer at a different place (he recently bought the strip) so we're going to move it to the end of the row of hangars - protected from future hurricanes!

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

beauford

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

Good on Ya, Brother Kulp…. Well done!
Too pretty a FireFly to have come to grief…
Congrats…!!!

Beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive

If you forward this e-mail, please remove my name before sending it... I promise to do the same for you...
Thanks...

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard Girard
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 7:33 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: 'Fly on the wall

Great news Dave. Glad it turned out so well.

Rick Girard
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:36 PM, David Kulp <undoctor(at)ptd.net (undoctor(at)ptd.net)> wrote:
Hello Kolbers,

I've got really good news. After our failed attempt to right my hangar/trailer which houses my FlagFly I was unable to access a heavier machine mostly due to everyone being tied up with hurricane cleanup. Yesterday Carlton, the man who now owns the airstrip, was able to meet me with a truck that has a hydraulic arm to lift dumpster style truck bodies used in his landscape business.

We hooked a nylon strap to the upper (in its current position) suspension, but when it would begin to roll over the tail end would slide and it was back flat on its left side. I took some rebar to drive into the ground to try to hold it in place, but the trailer just slid over the rebar and bent it flat.

Finally I took a length of 4 X 4 and placed it at the rear corner, which was prone to slide quickest, and parked my pickup so the right front wheel butted against the 4 x 4. Carlton then pulled it over until the trailer just touched my bumper, at which time I backed the pickup away. Carlton said, "Go around to the other side and give it a push." I did and it gently went past center and rested on the down stroke. He lowered the arm and touched the FlagFly down probably more gently than it gets touched down 90% of the time.

You cannot believe the sense of relief that swept over me. You just can't imagine. He told me he could feel it was at the balance point when he told me to push it. Good operator!

He went back to work and I went over the FF with a fine tooth comb. The only damage was the tailwheel, which took the torque of the downward arc from where I had it lashed at the rear of the boom tube. The bearing pushed the snap ring out of the groove and crunched the shoulder, so I fought the urge to take it for a spin until I replace the wheel. A fine Kolber by the name of Boyd emailed me that he replaced his tailwheel and I was welcome to his original. It's now on its way here.

Great people on the list. Gary, who took the vids a couple of weeks ago, offered any assistance he could give.

Dave Kulp
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

--
Zulu Delta

Mk IIIC

Thanks, Homer GBYM

It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
- Groucho Marx

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

Don G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

Great Job Kulpski!, nothing like finding the right tool for the job, and that truck looks like the right tool for sure!
Happy to hear you wont have much repair to do!

Luscombe 8A
RV9A
undoctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

Golly, Don,

I can hear the relief in your voice! Matches mine!!! I took this pic as I was unlashing the FlagFly immediately after righting the trailer.

Kulpski
Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

Flipped trailer 10.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  294.04 KB
 Viewed:  5679 Time(s)

Flipped trailer 10.jpg

beauford

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

Good on 'ya Brother Kulp... Congrats on minimal damage to that beautiful
Fly...

But I feel obligated to make the observation that you apparently missed a
once in a lifetime opportunity to scrape and paint
the bottom of your trailer while you had that sucker cranked up there on its
side... just sayin... Wink

Rusty beauford
FF-076
Soggy Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive
--

undoctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

You're the second to mention that, and at keast the third to think about
that, Rusty. What I feel I missed was the chance to re-coat the roof,
since that takes the weather and I have plenty of the 5 gallon bucket
left. By and large, all the BS under the trailer is to protect the
plywood floor from road spray, and that trailer's road days, with very
few exceptions, are over. Tractor trailers have nothing but the
hardwood floor, but the plywood of the office trailer floor is much more
vulnerable to the spray and needs to be protected.

I get a kick out of how people with similar interests often think in a
similar manner, "While this thing is laying on its side, let's consider
maintenance..." When I was rebuilding it I had to re-attach a couple of
the cross members to the frame rails, and lying under it trying to drill
and bolt the right angle irons was a bear. Once I was out from under
it, it's easy to forget how ugly it is!!

Not to ramble on and on, but a few weeks ago I was following a Yuengling
Beer trailer, and the back bumper, etc., was really ratty. The writing
on the rear bragged about the oldest brewery in the country, and my thot
was, yeah, and the oldest trailers, too. But when I looked more
closely, the body and advertising weren't bad at all, and the tractor
was new and beautiful. I considered stopping at the brewery, since it's
a short distance from Hermie's, where I get my Beemer serviced, and
suggest they paint the ironwork on the back. Maybe I still will...

Thanks for the observation, Bro. I always enjoy your posts! Was
talking to my son (who's in FL, too) when your post came up. He told me
it's soggy down there, too. We've had nothing but rain since Irene, and
I can't do much to the 'Fly in the trailer. Next week should be better.

Dave Kulp
Soggy Bethlehem, PA
FireFly 11DMK

Do Not Archive

On 9/7/2011 4:18 PM, Beauford wrote:
[quote]

Good on 'ya Brother Kulp... Congrats on minimal damage to that beautiful
Fly...

But I feel obligated to make the observation that you apparently missed a
once in a lifetime opportunity to scrape and paint
the bottom of your trailer while you had that sucker cranked up there on its
side... just sayin... Wink

Rusty beauford
FF-076
Soggy Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive
--

beauford

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: 'Fly on the wall Reply with quote

Brother Kulp...

I can identify with your following a Yuengling beer truck... It happens
that they have a large brewery here in Tampa...

My problem was that the truck drivers kept watching me in their mirrors...
and the guards at the brewery always stopped me
at the gate...

Sigh...

Dry beauford
FF-076
Brandon, FL
Do Not Archive

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: