Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VW with redrive on 701

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koxxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

Hello, new potential 701 builder here.
It's been a while since something close to this subject came up, so I'm starting a new thread.

My budget will not support a 912 or Jabiru, and I don't want to scratch-build, so I am zeroing in on the Great Plains VW with redrive (≈180lbs installed), possibly with the Nikasil jugs. To keep things light (and to save $$), I think I'd rather stick with the 701 and bubble doors than go to the 750. Is it realistic to expect to fly this combination on floats? My S.O. and I total around 350 lbs ready to fly.

I can get an engine mount from GP, but I am drawing a blank for a suitable cowl. Valley Engineering (who makes the redrive for GP) no longer offers a cowl kit. The 912 cowls will not fit. Aircraft Spruce does not have any nose bowls that come close enough. Any suggestions? I don't mind a little customization, but I don't want to build one from scratch.

I also cannot find a source for a suitable muffler.

My backyard shop is ready and I have funding, but I am not going to order anything until I have all the ducks in a row.

Thanks for any advice!
Martin

- The Matronics Zenith701801-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith701801-List
dj45

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

I had the same problem looking for a cowl that would work. Never did find one, so I made my own. I never did get one that looked good.
I also had some issues with the re-drive system. Took the whole shooting match out and installed a Honda/Viking engine and cowl. Much better setup if you ask me.
Make a reasonable offer and you can have the whole FF plus whatever else I have for a VW.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

701 001.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.68 KB
 Viewed:  11765 Time(s)

701 001.JPG

Dan Stanton
N801S CH 801
N226BS CH701
N24DS CH750
larry(at)macsmachine.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
You might also look at the Geo Metro with re-drive from Raven. It's got a
lot going for it too. Very economical
and it's sized right for a 701 application.

http://www.raven-rotor.com/html/manual.htm

Larry McFarland 601HDS at www.macsmachine.com
--

ronlee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

Some day you will want to sell this airplane and I can assure you you will pay the price of using a non popular engine. Most all will buy if it has a Rotax. Only those will buy if they have some connection with whatever engine concoction you install. They told me at Zenith, You are building a STOL airplane, keep it that way, use an engine that will work. They meant a Rotax. Think about reliability, safety and insurance rates.
Just my opinion. You know what they say. Opinions are like a##holes, everybody has one and they all stink!
Been there, done that and payed in the end.

micreb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts here.I'm using a GPAS 2180 with the Valley 1.6 PSRU on a CH 701 I bought from an estate.There seemed to be a bit of lag time on getting the mount fabricated.
When I talked to Steve AFTER I got the mount it turns out I will have an electrically dependent airplane anyway you look at it. The mount sits too close to the nose gear tube to allow the Mag coming off the Deihl Assessory Case.  (If the prop is left in the recommended position.)
The only Mag you can use with his supplied motor mount is the old Vertex which I may go with despite the  probable hump in the forward cowl.
If you use the Facet (EMPI) fuel pump Steve says you will loose a bit of engine power with an electrical failure to the pump even though it is purported to 'freeflow' without electrical power.

If any of you guys flying this combination have good pics or links to good pics of successful installations I'd appreciate the help.
Paul in Sunny North Florida

2011/11/18 Larry McFarland <larry(at)macsmachine.com (larry(at)macsmachine.com)>
[quote] --> Zenith701801-List message posted by: "Larry McFarland" <larry(at)macsmachine.com (larry(at)macsmachine.com)>

Hi Martin,
You might also look at the Geo Metro with re-drive from Raven.  It's got a
lot going for it too. Very economical
and it's sized right for a 701 application.

http://www.raven-rotor.com/html/manual.htm

Larry McFarland  601HDS at www.macsmachine.com

--

Ray Henrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

I've just flown off the 40 hr Phase I on my Hirth F-30 powered 701. Has plenty of power. Mixing fuel is some hassle, and fuel burn is higher than I would like, but I got it cheap. The 8-12k More I would have to pay for the Rotax 912 would buy a lot of fuel. I do have some apprehension about flying a 2 stroke with all the stories I've heard.

dons701

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

Ray, I like the Hirth. Do you have a complement of temp sensors to keep track of exhausts and heads?? This, with knowledge, equals piece of mind. No matter what engine you fly, know your temps!!!!! Just missed a 701 with fuel injected Hirth years ago, owner had a problem he could'nt solve...DonB.

Zenith 701 #76120
Jabiru 2200A #2456 95 hours
Sensenich Wood 64-PJ-36 Prop
Ray Henrie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW with redrive on 701 Reply with quote

I have cht and egt on all 4 cylinders. chts are good, have had a bit of a problem keeping egts down. Lowered them with more pitch, but hurt performance. Seems that when I pitch for best performance egts run to the max on cruise. Never any problems at full throttle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith701801-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: