Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

He assumed I knew what I was doing…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henry.voris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: He assumed I knew what I was doing… Reply with quote

13jan12

Gentlemen,

My pal Lance asked, “So… Do you wanna put the big piston in the front or the rear?”
I assumed he was kidding… He assumed I knew what I was doing… A train-wreck of assumptions. Deliberating shortly, we figured the larger piston would run hotter and should live closest to the fan.

After a couple of hours of swearing, doing-it-again, and fumbling around we got the thundering 447 back together… I’m sure we got most of those dang needle bearings back in the wristpins…

Back on the plane, the engine fired right up and ran strong… But the cylinder closest to the PTO (#2) was running a bit hotter than the cylinder closest to the alternator (#1). At 5,000 RPM and above, the temperature difference (both CHT and EGT) exceeded the difference allowed by the factory (36º CHT and 45º EGT). I have attached a spreadsheet that reflects the temperatures at different RPMs.

I got back to Lance and he said that he had not been kidding about two sizes of pistons… I was sick.

Purchased a dandy little bore-scope from Aircraft Spruce and with more swearing and fumbling about I could see what I have (done)…
Cylinder #1, Closest to the alternator, 67.46, green dot
Cylinder #2, Closest to the PTO, 67.45, red dot

Cylinder #2 is hotter… that shoots my theory about the bigger piston running hotter…

Also the top of piston #2 has accumulated a coating of carbon in only 5 hours of operation, while piston #1 is much cleaner. (Photos attached) I have run only AV-2 two-stroke oil in an effort to minimize carbon build up… I’m somewhat disappointed.

In reviewing the spreadsheet… It appears that each piston is operating within the temperature limits set by the factory for operation. The problem is the temperature difference between cylinder #1 and #2.

Before installing the digital engine monitor, I only knew the temperatures on one cylinder… I would have never have seen this problem and would probably be having a great time out flying, right now.

When Rotax sets limits for the difference of temperature allowable between cylinders, I’m pretty sure they are figuring on both pistons being the same size… (Krauts are like that…) A larger than normal temperature difference in an engine with matching pistons could indicate a problem… However, in an engine with different sized pistons, perhaps this temperature difference should simply be expected.

Comments?

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List

piston #2, PTO, 67.45, Red Dot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.82 KB
 Viewed:  2626 Time(s)

piston #2, PTO, 67.45, Red Dot.jpg

piston #1, ALT, 67.46, Green Dot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.95 KB
 Viewed:  2626 Time(s)

piston #1, ALT, 67.46, Green Dot.jpg

CHT-EGT Run 13jan12.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CHT-EGT Run 13jan12.xls
 Filesize:  26.5 KB
 Downloaded:  369 Time(s)

Do Not Archive
Amy57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: He assumed I knew what I was doing… Reply with quote

That's crazy, I had no idea Rotax made engines with different sized pistons! ha

- The Matronics RotaxEngines-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RotaxEngines-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RotaxEngines-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: