Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel Pants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

I remember seeing a post a year or two ago about someone that was producing aftermarket main gear wheel pants. Does anybody know anything about this? I don't know if it was on this forum or VAF. Question

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
carl.froehlich(at)verizon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

I have the James wheel pants on my 10. They were harder to fit than the
Van's pants. They are not as wide as the Van's pants but I don't yet have
any performance data.

Carl

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

No, the pants I remember seeing were not the James pants. Someone was
making them with an eye to offering them as a replacement for the
stock pants. They looked like they would have really nice fit and
finish with far less work than the originals. Mine are beginning to
show some wear and tear, and since I have never been very happy with
the way mine turned out, I was just wondering if there was another
option out there, or if I had been dreaming again!

David Maib
RV-10 #40559
Transition Trainer

On Feb 13, 2012, at 7:40 PM, Carl Froehlich wrote:

[quote]
<carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net>

I have the James wheel pants on my 10. They were harder to fit
than the
Van's pants. They are not as wide as the Van's pants but I don't
yet have
any performance data.

Carl

--

fritzsch(at)eskimo.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

You may be thinking of a product from Airflow Technology which they
describe as "Low Profile Pressure Recovery Wheel Pants". I have a flier
from them in my files but don't remember where I got it. The flier
lists the main gear pants including gear leg fairings for $390 each and
the nosewheel pant at $275. Surprisingly I don't see a URL but they
list the phone number 831-771-0438. If interested, I would try to find
them on the web first by searching for them by company name tolearn a
little more about them.

Dave

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Fritzsche
Puyallup, WA
Wings
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 2/13/2012 6:44 PM, David Maib wrote:
[quote]

No, the pants I remember seeing were not the James pants. Someone was
making them with an eye to offering them as a replacement for the
stock pants. They looked like they would have really nice fit and
finish with far less work than the originals. Mine are beginning to
show some wear and tear, and since I have never been very happy with
the way mine turned out, I was just wondering if there was another
option out there, or if I had been dreaming again!

David Maib
RV-10 #40559
Transition Trainer

On Feb 13, 2012, at 7:40 PM, Carl Froehlich wrote:

>
> <carl.froehlich(at)verizon.net>
>
> I have the James wheel pants on my 10. They were harder to fit than the
> Van's pants. They are not as wide as the Van's pants but I don't yet
> have
> any performance data.
>
> Carl
>
> --

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

Airflow Technology is Alan Bickle. He built a beautiful -10 with a James cowl (I think) and then modified the inlets about 1.5" for greater airflow in the upper deck. His fiberglass work (pants, cowl, plenum) on the 10 looks amazing from the photos I have seen.
Info below was copied from a Matronics posting the middle of last year.

Alan Bikle
AIRFLOW TECHNOLOGY
1586 Moffett Street Ste. E
Salinas, CA. 93905
Tel: 831-320-0193

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

dmaib@me.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

Thanks guy's. Alan Bikle at Airflow Technology is the one I was looking for. I will get in touch with him.

RV-10 #40559
New Smyrna Beach, FL
msausen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

He actually had new inlet rings machined at 6" I believe. I talked to him at Airventure and told me about some of his adventures with the James cowl. He had some extras machined so I bought a set from him.

Michael

--

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

I purchased a pair too but have decided to go a different route.

Robin
Do Not Archive

--

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

I talked with Alan Bikle today. He never got enough interest in his
wheel pants to produce them.

David Maib
RV-10 #40559
Transition Trainer

On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Robin Marks wrote:

[quote]

Airflow Technology is Alan Bickle. He built a beautiful -10 with a
James cowl (I think) and then modified the inlets about 1.5" for
greater airflow in the upper deck. His fiberglass work (pants,
cowl, plenum) on the 10 looks amazing from the photos I have seen.
Info below was copied from a Matronics posting the middle of last
year.

Alan Bikle
AIRFLOW TECHNOLOGY
1586 Moffett Street Ste. E
Salinas, CA. 93905
Tel: 831-320-0193

Robin
Do Not Archive
--

n223rv(at)wolflakeairport

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

Just curious, what's wrong with the stock ones? I have an early kit and they are very well made and fit fairly good with little work.....

-Mike Kraus
RV-10 Flying

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2012, at 6:16 PM, David Maib <dmaib(at)mac.com> wrote:

[quote]

I talked with Alan Bikle today. He never got enough interest in his wheel pants to produce them.

David Maib
RV-10 #40559
Transition Trainer

On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Robin Marks wrote:

>
>
> Airflow Technology is Alan Bickle. He built a beautiful -10 with a James cowl (I think) and then modified the inlets about 1.5" for greater airflow in the upper deck. His fiberglass work (pants, cowl, plenum) on the 10 looks amazing from the photos I have seen.
> Info below was copied from a Matronics posting the middle of last year.
>
> Alan Bikle
> AIRFLOW TECHNOLOGY
> 1586 Moffett Street Ste. E
> Salinas, CA. 93905
> Tel: 831-320-0193
>
> Robin
> Do Not Archive
>
>
> --

dmaib(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

The stock ones are fine, but I was never too happy with the job I did
on mine. Now that they are showing some wear and tear, I was just
curious if there were any other options out there that I might like
better. Apparently not, so I will repair mine and move on.

David Maib
RV-10 #40559
Transition Trainer

On Feb 14, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Michael Kraus wrote:

[quote]
<n223rv(at)wolflakeairport.net>

Just curious, what's wrong with the stock ones? I have an early
kit and they are very well made and fit fairly good with little
work.....

-Mike Kraus
RV-10 Flying

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 14, 2012, at 6:16 PM, David Maib <dmaib(at)mac.com> wrote:

>
>
> I talked with Alan Bikle today. He never got enough interest in
> his wheel pants to produce them.
>
> David Maib
> RV-10 #40559
> Transition Trainer
>
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:25 AM, Robin Marks wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Airflow Technology is Alan Bickle. He built a beautiful -10 with
>> a James cowl (I think) and then modified the inlets about 1.5"
>> for greater airflow in the upper deck. His fiberglass work
>> (pants, cowl, plenum) on the 10 looks amazing from the photos I
>> have seen.
>> Info below was copied from a Matronics posting the middle of last
>> year.
>>
>> Alan Bikle
>> AIRFLOW TECHNOLOGY
>> 1586 Moffett Street Ste. E
>> Salinas, CA. 93905
>> Tel: 831-320-0193
>>
>> Robin
>> Do Not Archive
>>
>>
>> --

ScooterF15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Wheel pants Reply with quote

Thanks to some much needed ribbing from Bob Condrey, after 5+ years of flying, I finally installed the wheel pants. I’ve been putting it off so long, I started to develop a fear of the job… someone told me it was worse than doing the doors (which I consider the most painful job of the whole project)… the wheel pants weren’t that bad, but still not much fun in a sub-freezing hangar.

I flew the plane yesterday and what a difference! I had 125 KIAS off the runway before I realized I needed to raise the nose a bit higher than I’m used to. I managed to climb easily at 115 KIAS (this would almost zero out my climb rate with no wheel pants). I leveled at 9500 MSL and trimmed out to 166 KTAS, lean of peak at 10 GPH. I then turned West and (literally) popped up to 10500 MSL, where the plane trimmed to 165. That is a 15 to 16 knot gain in true cruising speed.

The plane also felt smoother and quieter.

I’ll see if this has helped fix my engine cooling problems as the weather warms up, but from a qualitative point of view the wheel pants seems to make a big difference in CHT and oil temps in climb.

-Jim
N312JE
[quote][b]

bcondrey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

Not sure "ribbing" would be the right word, maybe just strong encouragement...

Glad you got it done - it really is hard to believe how much of a difference it makes!

Bob

sfarner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Wheel pants Reply with quote

As a "newbie," I've been told that the doors are really tough, as is the instrument installation.

I was hoping someone would tell me it gets easier after the elevators, but I'm guessing that won't happen!

Steve

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of James McGrew [jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:22 AM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Wheel pants

Thanks to some much needed ribbing from Bob Condrey, after 5+ years of flying, I finally installed the wheel pants. Ive been putting it off so long, I started to develop a fear of the job someone told me it was worse than doing the doors (which I consider the most painful job of the whole project) the wheel pants werent that bad, but still not much fun in a sub-freezing hangar.

I flew the plane yesterday and what a difference! I had 125 KIAS off the runway before I realized I needed to raise the nose a bit higher than Im used to. I managed to climb easily at 115 KIAS (this would almost zero out my climb rate with no wheel pants). I leveled at 9500 MSL and trimmed out to 166 KTAS, lean of peak at 10 GPH. I then turned West and (literally) popped up to 10500 MSL, where the plane trimmed to 165. That is a 15 to 16 knot gain in true cruising speed.

Ill see if this has helped fix my engine cooling problems as the weather warms up, but from a qualitative point of view the wheel pants seems to make a big difference in CHT and oil temps in climb.

-Jim
N312JE
[quote]

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

[b]

Rv10flyer(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Wheel pants Reply with quote

The pants add the extra speed you mentioned and drag reduction. I can tell you from recent SoCal temps that yes the CHT WILL go down as the engine gets more air but also less resistance.
On Feb 25, 2012, at 8:22 AM, "James McGrew" <jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu (jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu)> wrote:

[quote] <![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Thanks to some much needed ribbing from Bob Condrey, after 5+ years of flying, I finally installed the wheel pants. I’ve been putting it off so long, I started to develop a fear of the job… someone told me it was worse than doing the doors (which I consider the most painful job of the whole project)… the wheel pants weren’t that bad, but still not much fun in a sub-freezing hangar.

I flew the plane yesterday and what a difference! I had 125 KIAS off the runway before I realized I needed to raise the nose a bit higher than I’m used to. I managed to climb easily at 115 KIAS (this would almost zero out my climb rate with no wheel pants). I leveled at 9500 MSL and trimmed out to 166 KTAS, lean of peak at 10 GPH. I then turned West and (literally) popped up to 10500 MSL, where the plane trimmed to 165. That is a 15 to 16 knot gain in true cruising speed.

I’ll see if this has helped fix my engine cooling problems as the weather warms up, but from a qualitative point of view the wheel pants seems to make a big difference in CHT and oil temps in climb.

-Jim
N312JE
Quote:

===================================
://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
cs.com
matronics.com/contribution

[b]

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Wheel pants Reply with quote

Yes, i thought it got easier.....faster also.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID
-----Original message-----
[quote]From: Steve Farner <steve.farner(at)bellevue.edu>
To:
"rv10-list(at)matronics.com" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com>
Sent:
Sat, Feb 25, 2012 11:02:20 MST
Subject:
RE: RV10-List: Wheel pants
(at)font-face { font-family: Calibri; } (at)page WordSection1 {margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } A:visited { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.EmailStyle17 { COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } .MsoChpDefault { FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } DIV.WordSection1 { } As a "newbie," I've been told that the doors are really tough, asis the instrument installation.

I was hoping someone would tell me it gets easier after the elevators, but I'm guessing that won't happen!

Steve

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com [owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of James McGrew [jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu]
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RV10-List: Wheel pants

-Jim
N312JE
[quote]

[b]

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel Pants Reply with quote

"As a "newbie," I've been told that the doors are really tough, as is the instrument installation. "

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Most -10 builders are "metal guys" so the other stuff seems harder. I've spent my life in and around electronics so I thought the avionics was absolutely straightforward. The key, as with most things, is to spend 3 times as much time thinking about it as doing it!

robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Wheel pants Reply with quote

It gets easier after the first condition inspection.

Robin
Do not archive

Sent from my iPad2.

On Feb 25, 2012, at 4:09 PM, "rene(at)felker.com (rene(at)felker.com)" <rene(at)felker.com (rene(at)felker.com)> wrote:

[quote] Yes, i thought it got easier.....faster also.

[quote] From: Steve Farner <steve.farner(at)bellevue.edu (steve.farner(at)bellevue.edu)>
To:
"rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent:
Subject:
RE: RV10-List: Wheel pants

(at)font-face { font-family: Calibri; } (at)page WordSection1 {margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } A:visited { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.EmailStyle17 { COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } .MsoChpDefault { FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } DIV.WordSection1 { } As a "newbie," I've been told that the doors are really tough, asis the instrument installation.

Steve

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of James McGrew [jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu (jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu)]
To: (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RV10-List: Wheel pants

-Jim
N312JE
[quote]

[b]

Strasnuts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Wheel pants Reply with quote

I concur.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 25, 2012, at 21:23, Robin Marks <robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com (robin(at)PaintTheWeb.com)> wrote:

[quote] It gets easier after the first condition inspection.

Robin
Do not archive

Sent from my iPad2.

On Feb 25, 2012, at 4:09 PM, "rene(at)felker.com (rene(at)felker.com)" <rene(at)felker.com (rene(at)felker.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Yes, i thought it got easier.....faster also.

Quote:
From: Steve Farner <steve.farner(at)bellevue.edu (steve.farner(at)bellevue.edu)>
To:
"rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)" <rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)>
Sent:
Subject:
RE: Wheel pants

(at)font-face { font-family: Calibri; } (at)page WordSection1 {margin: 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; } P.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } LI.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } DIV.MsoNormal { FONT-SIZE: 11pt; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } A:link { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlink { COLOR: blue; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } A:visited { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.MsoHyperlinkFollowed { COLOR: purple; TEXT-DECORATION: underline } SPAN.EmailStyle17 { COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } .MsoChpDefault { FONT-FAMILY: "Calibri","sans-serif" } DIV.WordSection1 { } As a "newbie," I've been told that the doors are really tough, as is the instrument installation.

Steve

Do not archive

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of James McGrew [jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu (jsmcgrew(at)alum.mit.edu)]
To: (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Wheel pants

-Jim
N312JE
Quote:

/forums.matronics.com">http://forums.matronics.com
="http://www.matronics.com/contribution">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

)��ߢ{l�7�r�h�M4�Miǜ���z����.�'�N�W] ��D�����K��j��',.+-歺��5�h����,z�^���.+-�إ�؞�˜�� ��T��n�+��b�p+r�y'���C� 塧{ ����,x(Z�P>-��Z��vk��k��j+y�ky�m���� &j��',r��5�h�uи��m���� ���'���o�j��j�+E]t.+-��M� $�NECI�������'���j[(j�����z����y�h��j�~m��ߢ���f����r�(�m��ߢ���f����r�(�����B�{k������y�����jy2���*.��z�.�˩���1�m�������)چ����i��0�f����r�(��(���n�b�xm���� &j��',r��r��&�*'�����'��k{��w/�i
ky���"�휢Z+�M4�G�q�(����w�r����Ӆ�U�B��&j)E���Rǭ����'�� ��Ey�n�� j�j�+��� ��j|���n�)b�'���!j���'�+����ب� ܆+�I�r��yhi��k k�  ���h��y�ݚ�!��!���j�~m���� ���'���o�j�j�+E]t.+-��i��0�f����r�(��Z�(���W] ��h�D�H %�S�PĒjg���r��z{Z�����i�^�&���lZ+�k�����i���鬙�k�x���&��i���鬙�k�x���&��Ш���n�b�u�m(�y8Z�L���+ʋ���ޮ����i��Lj�C��ex���f�v������ 0��k�x���&��'����ب�m���� ���'���oܢ{k������k��~��������m�
[b]

SuperSTOL 60 hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: